How bad is Casey Mittelstadt?

dudacek

12 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I think with tonight's game against the Wild, I see KA as having a secret weapon:  Donny Meatballs.  He takes the players he's got and molds them into the players he wants.  Look what he did with the kid line.  Yeah, they've cooled off lately but you can see what's there.  Look at what he's done with Krebs.  And now with tonight's game, I'm starting to think VO and Mitts are on the list of players that Donny has developed/rejuvenated.

I don't know much about Lalonde's coaching style, but it seems to me that most coaches have a style of play and system they want their players to follow, and that they generally expect their players to get on board.  Donny works with the players to get them to evolve into the players he wants, and also adjusts his system to put them in a position to succeed.  I think a lot of coaches try to do the latter, but Donny really does work with players to make them better.  It's the developmental mindset.

Much of DG's career has been spent working with young players in their formative years prior to reaching the NHL level. That's what forms his orientation in the game, even at the NHL level. He looks at the puzzle of assembling a team from the perspective of the individual pieces/players he has to work with. He is constantly searching how to unlock the talent of each player and then work to put that player in a position to succeed. For the coach, it is an ongoing process. Constantly striving, and willing to adjust and change his approach to the player in order draw out the player's potential. This coach is a terrific teacher and leader. This franchise is so fortunate to have him. 

It shouldn't be lost that DG's approach toward coaching also applies toward veteran players. Skinner is a good example of that. I'm also confident that both Okposo and Girgs would agree that the current coach behind the bench is one of the best coaches they have had in their career. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Too early to tell if Mitts has turned a corner. This condensed stretch of games should give us a better idea.

How many times since he came into the league have we declared that Mitts has turned a corner? I’ve been fooled too often to make that assertion again so I’ll wait until the end of the season. In the meantime, I’ll continue to hope he continues to play well on a consistent basis.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Mitts plays so much better with pace. When he slows it down he overthinks his options and that is when the head scratching turnovers happen.

Honestly don't believe it's slowing down that causes the overthinking.  Expect it's the other way round.

Remember, he's been both fully healthy & slotted properly under Granato's coaching for less than 1/4 of a season.

The rest of this month should give us a good feel for which view is correct.

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Honestly don't believe it's slowing down that causes the overthinking.  Expect it's the other way round.

Remember, he's been both fully healthy & slotted properly under Granato's coaching for less than 1/4 of a season.

The rest of this month should give us a good feel for which view is correct.

No it is the slowing down. Players play better when they react. Give them too much time to think most will get lost.

I do not agree that Mitts has been playing well for a while now.  His line has still been getting dominated in most of the recent games.

Having said that, his line was terrific vs Minny, he made a number of very nice plays and skated much more purposefully and effectively in the O-zone.

As others have noted, the next few weeks will be busy and we’ll learn more about Mitts’ progress.  If his line can replicate its play vs Minny, we might not lose any more games.

And holy mackerel that was a great win.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, K-9 said:

How many times since he came into the league have we declared that Mitts has turned a corner? I’ve been fooled too often to make that assertion again so I’ll wait until the end of the season. In the meantime, I’ll continue to hope he continues to play well on a consistent basis.

I hope he makes me eat my criticism of him like TT did. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I hope he makes me eat my criticism of him like TT did. 

I was never critical of TT, but I’ve lost faith in Mitts and like you, I hope he serves up a huge plate of crow for me to eat. Same goes for VO. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 1/8/2023 at 10:29 PM, nfreeman said:

I do not agree that Mitts has been playing well for a while now.  His line has still been getting dominated in most of the recent games.

Having said that, his line was terrific vs Minny, he made a number of very nice plays and skated much more purposefully and effectively in the O-zone.

As others have noted, the next few weeks will be busy and we’ll learn more about Mitts’ progress.  If his line can replicate its play vs Minny, we might not lose any more games.

And holy mackerel that was a great win.  

I'm not challenging your assessment on Mitts and/or his line. Just curious if you have upgraded your view of him and his line based on the recent play?

55 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm not challenging your assessment on Mitts and/or his line. Just curious if you have upgraded your view of him and his line based on the recent play?

As perhaps his biggest critic, I’ll say he’s been trending in the right direction. I hope that continues and that the occasional stinker, which every player is gonna have, becomes the exception rather than the occasional good game. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I think this thread title needs to be updated to a more appropriate question, such as Is Casey part of the solution or part of the problem? or What is Casey's future with the Sabres? or Is Casey Good Enough to be part of the core?

I think we can move on from whether Casey is a bad player.   He's not.  He is on pace for 50 points and just matched his career high points number is 38 less games. Bad players don't put up 50 points in the NHL.

The questions are whether he had further upside, he has turned the corner as a two way player and what is his future with the Sabres?  

• Like (+1) 1

I would think 50 points good for a 3C.  It seems like it should be. The same with Olofsson and his goal totals. The line kind of works now.

I think the question will become.. are the Sabres good enough to play more defensively with the players on the roster. At some point they have to begin shutting down other teams..

FYI:  Who is who?

Player 1

Age 20 - 81gm 26pts .32p/gp -16

Age 21 - 82gm 26pts .32p/gp -18

Age 22 - 71gm 27pts .38p/gp -6

Age 23 - 51gm 12pts .23p/gp -1

Age 24 - 48gm 27pts .56p/gp -2

Player 2

Age 20 - 77gm 25 pts . 32p/gp -19

Age 21 - 31gm 9pts .29p/gp -5

Age 22 - 41gm 22pts .54p/gp -10

Age 23 - 40gm 19pts .48p/gp - 14

Age 24 - 41gm 25tps .61p/gp -12 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.