How bad is Casey Mittelstadt?

dudacek

I don’t think it’s any secret that Sabrespace has generally been disappointed in Casey this year.

I was curious to see how he matched up against other people in his role (basically 3C+). 

• Mittelstadt TOI: 15:35, Goals: 7,  Points: 19, Corsi 5 on 5: 48.6%
  • Coyle TOI: 16:44, Goals: 9,  Points: 19, Corsi 5 on 5: 48.0%
  • Rasmussen TOI: 14:45, Goals: 6,  Points: 16, Corsi 5 on 5: 46.6%
  • Lundell TOI: 16:37, Goals: 4,  Points: 14, Corsi 5 on 5: 55.0%
  • Dvorak TOI: 16:52, Goals: 8, Points: 15, Corsi 5 on 5: 45.7%
  • Pinto TOI: 15:57, Goals: 10,  Points: 17, Corsi 5 on 5: 52.2%
  • Kerfoot TOI: 15:06, Goals: 6, Points: 17, Corsi 5 on 5: 52.3%
  • Paul TOI: 16:59, Goals: 13, Points: 21, Corsi 5 on 5: 47.5%

Surprisingly, his numbers don’t seem out of line.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 4

11 minutes ago, inkman said:

I’ve witnessed Casey make 3 absolutely boneheaded plays this period that lead directly to turnovers and scoring chances for the other teams.  He plays dumb.  Constantly making plays that hurt his team. 

His play strikes me as being too "cute;" he has good hands, but is not strong on the puck and coughs it up easily, and doesn't have a sense of when he does/doesn't have someone covering for him (a sense of when he could get away with a cute move)

• Agree 3

His defensive game has been much better the past few weeks. Much like the team overall has been honestly. Been a while since they allowed more than 3 goals and that was only last game when they were up 5-0.

That play against Marchand against the boards in the Sabres end where he basically erased him into the boards and got the puck away from him was a great defensive play.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 4

12 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

His defensive game has been much better the past few weeks. Much like the team overall has been honestly. Been a while since they allowed more than 3 goals and that was only last game when they were up 5-0.

That play against Marchand against the boards in the Sabres end where he basically erased him into the boards and got the puck away from him was a great defensive play.

Did you notice Casey somehow managed to not clear the zone even though he took it away less than 8 feet from the blue line?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, inkman said:

Did you notice Casey somehow managed to not clear the zone even though he took it away less than 8 feet from the blue line?

That wasn't on him...the puck went to another Sabre who then failed to clear. He kept Marchand pinned against the board during that time.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

He was HORRIBLE today.  Cozens lost it once on the half-wall on the early power play, and then for the rest of the first period, it was the Sabres catching up to Mittlestadt's screwups.  GET RID OF HIM AND HIS NO PULL-UP ASS NOW.  I didn't like him as a draft pick, I didn't like him as a prospect, and I don't like him now.  His tow-head ass can play anywhere else.  Goodbye.  

4 hours ago, inkman said:

I’ve witnessed Casey make 3 absolutely boneheaded plays this period that lead directly to turnovers and scoring chances for the other teams.  He plays dumb.  Constantly making plays that hurt his team. 

I am assuming you mean the first period.  It was a debacle.  He looked like he was hung over.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

I don’t think it’s any secret that Sabrespace has generally been disappointed in Casey this year.

I was curious to see how he matched up against other people in his role (basically 3C+). 

• Mittelstadt TOI: 15:35, Goals: 7,  Points: 19, Corsi 5 on 5: 48.6%
  • Coyle TOI: 16:44, Goals: 9,  Points: 19, Corsi 5 on 5: 48.0%
  • Rasmussen TOI: 14:45, Goals: 6,  Points: 16, Corsi 5 on 5: 46.6%
  • Lundell TOI: 16:37, Goals: 4,  Points: 14, Corsi 5 on 5: 55.0%
  • Dvorak TOI: 16:52, Goals: 8, Points: 15, Corsi 5 on 5: 45.7%
  • Pinto TOI: 15:57, Goals: 10,  Points: 17, Corsi 5 on 5: 52.2%
  • Kerfoot TOI: 15:06, Goals: 6, Points: 17, Corsi 5 on 5: 52.3%
  • Paul TOI: 16:59, Goals: 13, Points: 21, Corsi 5 on 5: 47.5%

Surprisingly, his numbers don’t seem out of line.

A big difference between Mittelstadt and basically all of those other guys you listed is that they actually produced most or all of their offense at 5 on 5.  Only a couple of them have any PP usage at all and most of them have double Mittelstadt’s ES production.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

It's in one of the topics here. Somebody had a per Friedman tweet about Buffalo being a possible destination. 

I went looking after reading that unlinked post. I’ve seen nothing anywhere in any of Friedman’s feeds to reflect that, or in any corner of the internet for that matter.

I suspect that someone made it up.

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

It was @Refuting , but  ya, he might have pulled it out of his "dreams". 

The only way the Sabres are involved in a Horvat trade is if they are a third party holding cap for a Toronto or similar cap strapped team.  Adams would not add a player like this unless he would extend, and you don’t extend a center for $9m plus after you just signed Tage.

Mittelstadt has been my least favorite for at the last couple years. He seems to be playing a little better recently but I'd package him with VO and whoever else for a solid R hand defenseman who can do a chin up. I think it was Casey who couldn't do one at his combine. (that's terribly lame) ... Move him (if there's any value) and also I think ya gotta keep UPL up this year. These young guys need to keep the group energy/mentality they have aquired and UPL is a big part of it in my opinion. ... I think you can break this playoff draught without mortgaging the future. 

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Dryballs said:

Mittelstadt has been my least favorite for at the last couple years. He seems to be playing a little better recently but I'd package him with VO and whoever else for a solid R hand defenseman who can do a chin up. I think it was Casey who couldn't do one at his combine. (that's terribly lame) ... Move him (if there's any value) and also I think ya gotta keep UPL up this year. These young guys need to keep the group energy/mentality they have aquired and UPL is a big part of it in my opinion. ... I think you can break this playoff draught without mortgaging the future. 

Should have traded him 3 years ago 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.