Eric Comrie Completes Conditioning Stint

Brawndo

Just now, Amerks8796 said:

I think Houser was in line to start today. Comrie should be an upgrade unless he’s really rusty. 

Ok but my comment was about Comrie’s entire stint in Rochester.  He’ll probably be an upgrade for Houser but how many starts is he taking from Subban? Either way it’s happening.  Hopefully Eric plays well. 

2 minutes ago, inkman said:

Ok but my comment was about Comrie’s entire stint in Rochester.  He’ll probably be an upgrade for Houser but how many starts is he taking from Subban? Either way it’s happening.  Hopefully Eric plays well. 

He should be better than Subban, hopefully. I didn’t like how Subban played against Utica the other night. 

17 minutes ago, inkman said:

That really is the nature of the beast though, isn’t it? No matter how anyone else is playing, the guy on the rehab stint is going to get the playing time. 

37 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Hopefully buffalo makes him the back up when he comes up  dont ***** up a ok thing right now 

How about they play him in a game, once he is ready, and then see how he does?   Why worry about who the backup is?  Besides, Anderson is the 2.  The dilemma is who will be the 1.   Let their play decide that.  

The plan was always to first give Comrie the opportunity to establish himself as an NHL #1 while giving UPL a ton of work to accelerate his development to the point where he could seize the job when an opportunity presented itself.

Last 5 starts UPL: 4/1, 2.82, .918

Last 5 starts Comrie: 1/4, 4.00, .864

Comrie is coming back up regardless when the conditioning streak is over. What happens at that point really appears to be in UPL’s hands.

14 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The plan was always to first give Comrie the opportunity to establish himself as an NHL #1 while giving UPL a ton of work to accelerate his development to the point where he could seize the job when an opportunity presented itself.

Last 5 starts UPL: 4/1, 2.82, .918

Last 5 starts Comrie: 1/4, 4.00, .864

Comrie is coming back up regardless when the conditioning streak is over. What happens at that point really appears to be in UPL’s hands.

I think this is more of a talking point than an actual difficult decision. UPL goes down when Comrie finishes his conditioning stint. He has to play. 

5 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

I think this is more of a talking point than an actual difficult decision. UPL goes down when Comrie finishes his conditioning stint. He has to play. 

But why punish him to playing well? I would keep all 3 goalies. Anderson can play the odd game here and there and UPL can be 1A and Comrie 1B. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, kas23 said:

But why punish him to playing well? I would keep all 3 goalies. Anderson can play the odd game here and there and UPL can be 1A and Comrie 1B. 

It’s not punishing, it’s the reality of pro hockey/contracts/roster limits. And let’s be real, he has a sub .900 save percentage. He’s been inconsistent at best. He’s hasn’t really played his way onto the team. 

And you can’t keep 3 goalies unless you’re prepared to send down Krebs or Quinn or Peterka. 

Edited by Amerks8796

3 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

It’s not punishing, it’s the reality of pro hockey/contracts/roster limits. And let’s be real, he has a sub .900 save percentage. He’s been inconsistent at best. He’s hasn’t really played his way onto the team. 

And you can’t keep 3 goalies unless you’re prepared to send down Krebs or Quinn or Peterka. 

Expect they'd send either Hinostroza or Clague down if they feel UPL has earned a roster spot.  With Vinny being the more likely Amerk as they'd be playing w/ fire having only 6 healthy D.

Until 2 weeks ago would've had no issue sending Krebs down, but he's playing well lately.  Neither Quinn nor Peterka will see the AHL again unless it is clear the Sabres won't make the playoffs on deadline day AND the Sabres really wanted to give them some more playoff experience.  (Can't see that being the case, but it's remotely possible.)

(Would still lean toward Anderson getting a mysterious ailment that put him on IR but expect Adams & Andy are too honorable to game the system like that.)

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Buying some time before a decision needs to be made in UPL. If 6K keeps playing like he has, what do the Sabres do? Send UPL back to Rochester? Trade Comrie? Ask Anderson to retire? Keep all three goals?

Tough decision to make, but a nice one to have. 

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Expect they'd send either Hinostroza or Clague down if they feel UPL has earned a roster spot.  With Vinny being the more likely Amerk as they'd be playing w/ fire having only 6 healthy D.

Until 2 weeks ago would've had no issue sending Krebs down, but he's playing well lately.  Neither Quinn nor Peterka will see the AHL again unless it is clear the Sabres won't make the playoffs on deadline day AND the Sabres really wanted to give them some more playoff experience.  (Can't see that being the case, but it's remotely possible.)

(Would still lean toward Anderson getting a mysterious ailment that put him on IR but expect Adams & Andy are too honorable to game the system like that.)

I see zero chance they waive Hinostroza. And sending Clague down leaves them with only 6 D. I doubt it’s even a consideration. They’ll send UPL down as he needs to play as much as possible. 

49 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

I mostly agree.

I also believe that if UPL’s run over his next 5 mirrors his past 5 he will be doing that playing in Buffalo.

25 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

I see zero chance they waive Hinostroza. And sending Clague down leaves them with only 6 D. I doubt it’s even a consideration. They’ll send UPL down as he needs to play as much as possible. 

Well, until his last 5 games would absolutely have agreed UPL goes back down when Comrie got back.  Still kind of expect it, but he could make that a really difficult decision. And IF he stays it's either Hinostroza or Clague going down, more likely Vinny.

3 hours ago, Amerks8796 said:

5 straight games of 3 or less allowed.

5 straight starts of .900 or more, 3 of them (Bos, Veg, Col) we don’t win without his performance.

4 wins in a row, 5 of his last 6.

Ahead of Comrie in every statistical category.

I’d say he’s starting to.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

5 straight starts of .900 or more, 3 of them (Bos, Veg, Col) we don’t win without his performance.

Killing it with facts!  

9 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Buying some time before a decision needs to be made in UPL. If 6K keeps playing like he has, what do the Sabres do? Send UPL back to Rochester? Trade Comrie? Ask Anderson to retire? Keep all three goals?

I think it's likely that they keep three goalies.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, kas23 said:
8 hours ago, Amerks8796 said:

If UPL is the better choice, and the Sabres are in (or very close to) a playoff spot, I think you need to keep him up.  I think they carry 3 goalies on the roster until they know who's gonna stay with the team.  Don't be surprised if Andy "suffers an injury in practice."

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

To be fair, Comrie played a number of games when the Sabres D was hit by injuries.

• Thanks (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.