Sabres play at a 123 point pace this year with Samuelsson in the lineup

matter2003

4 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

The Midnight Plowboy.

Sometimes I think you are older, and then sometimes I think you are younger.  

I laugh at a lot of your comments, and I could be laughing for the wrong reasons on some of them. 

Edited by Pimlach

6 hours ago, Taro T said:

He also allows 2nd & 3rd (or lesser) pairing defenders NOT have to play 1st pairing minutes & opponents.  THAT is huge.

This is key. The system is tested when Fitz, Pilut and Bryson are skating big minutes. They’re all improving at clearing people out, but things are stacked against them, quite literally being under-sized “offense first” puck movers. Muel provides the balance that makes me think fondly of the great combination of Campbell (O), Tallinder (D), Teppo (O), Spacek (D), Lydman (D) and Kalinin (O) - one of the last great D Corps we’ve skated. 
So in that vein, I’m not sure Chychrun helps the balance that we need. I’d be looking for someone cheaper that would fit the Jake McCabe mold - too bad he’s a lefty making $4M per now, b/c I bet he’s available. Strong 2nd pair defensive compliment to Power - someone that would let him get more comfortable jumping into plays and pinching at the line. That was I think the thought for Lybushkin, but IMO he’s better suited for 3rd pair with Joker. 

Edited by ItsMillerTime
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, ItsMillerTime said:

This is key. The system is tested when Fitz, Pilut and Bryson are skating big minutes. They’re all improving at clearing people out, but things are stacked against them, quite literally being under-sized “offense first” puck movers. Muel provides the balance that makes me think fondly of the great combination of Campbell (O), Tallinder (D), Teppo (O), Spacek (D), Lydman (D) and Kalinin (O) - one of the last great D Corps we’ve skated. 
So in that vein, I’m not sure Chychrun helps the balance that we need. I’d be looking for someone cheaper that would fit the Jake McCabe mold - too bad he’s a righty making $4M per now, b/c I bet he’s available. Strong 2nd pair defensive compliment to Power - someone that would let him get more comfortable jumping into plays and pinching at the line. That was I think the thought for Lybushkin, but IMO he’s better suited for 3rd pair with Joker. 

The Canucks love Schenn and will want someone to dramatically overpay if they go on any significant losing streak. They’re just so reluctant to reboot. But he’d be a very good fit for  Power. 

7 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Pretty astounding. 

Sabres are 14-4-2 in games he has played, earning 30 of a possible 40 points(0.750 point percentage).

For those who say the Sabres can't make up the points to get in the playoffs, it appears as long as Samuelsson stays healthy, not only can they, it's probably likely they do.

He is also second on the team in +/- with a +15. Dahlin is first at +17.

Guess KA knew what he was doing when he signed him to a VERY team friendly long term contract before the season...much like he did with Thompson.

Samuelsson staying healthy is huge, ya, but I’d imagine we can say the same about a couple of other players, too. The only reason we haven’t seen how much the team would suffer without a player like, say, Dahlin, is because we thankfully haven’t had to, yet. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I postulated in another thread that while Tnt and Dahlin maybe "better" players, that Mule was our most important.  With guys like Power, we might be ok for a while without Dahlin.  We also have enough forward depth to survive for a short while without TnT. However, the stats without Mule are awful.  He simple smart style of defense makes everyone from the goalie out better.

There isn’t data to suggest Samuelsson is “more important”, this is what I am talking about. You have half the data.

Dahlin has been there, as well, for every one of those Samuelsson games. It’s doesn’t stand to suggest we could sooner remove Dahlin than Samuelson simply because we haven’t seen them do it, yet.

It being proven that Samuelsson is incredibly valuable doesn’t say anything about Dahlin’s value. This is like those problems they teach you in school where they ask you how much info can be derived from limited data that’s missing key variables 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

The Canucks love Schenn and will want someone to dramatically overpay if they go on any significant losing streak. They’re just so reluctant to reboot. But he’d be a very good fit for  Power. 

Feels like we’ve been hearing Schenn’s name for a while now. The resume fits the mold other than GMKA’s preference for youth, but I haven’t seen him play lately - has he lost a step at this point? 

26 minutes ago, Thorny said:

There isn’t data to suggest Samuelsson is “more important”, this is what I am talking about. You have half the data.

Dahlin has been there, as well, for every one of those Samuelsson games. It’s doesn’t stand to suggest we could sooner remove Dahlin than Samuelson simply because we haven’t seen them do it, yet.

It being proven that Samuelsson is incredibly valuable doesn’t say anything about Dahlin’s value. This is like those problems they teach you in school where they ask you how much info can be derived from limited data that’s missing key variables 

I don't understand your answer.  We have seen the team this year and last without Samuelsson but with Dahlin and the team isn't as good.  No we haven't seen the team without Dahlin but with Samuelsson.  That is why is a postulation not a fact, aka a theory.  My theory is that the team is more likely to be able to weather a lose of Dahlin vs a lose of Samuelsson because we have other guys who can do most of what Dahlin does.  Maybe not as well, but at least passable.  We have no one who can play Samuelsson's style and that style is essential.  Let's hope we don't have to find out if my theory is correct.  However it is a fact that this team isn't nearly as good without Samuelsson and that isn't debatable.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I don't understand your answer.  We have seen the team this year and last without Samuelsson but with Dahlin and the team isn't as good.  No we haven't seen the team without Dahlin but with Samuelsson.  That is why is a postulation not a fact, aka a theory.  My theory is that the team is more likely to be able to weather a lose of Dahlin vs a lose of Samuelsson because we have other guys who can do most of what Dahlin does.  Maybe not as well, but at least passable.  We have no one who can play Samuelsson's style and that style is essential.  Let's hope we don't have to find out if my theory is correct.  However it is a fact that this team isn't nearly as good without Samuelsson and that isn't debatable.  

I’m not saying it’s good without Samuelsson. I’m saying it would be just as bad but likely worse without Dahlin 

Your theory about “we have others who can sooner do what Dahlin does” is very flawed because it’s actually the skills and talents Dahlin provides that are significantly more difficult to find and acquire. 

It would be much, much easier to find another Samuelsson than another Dahlin. Power doesn’t replace any of Dahlin - once we fill in a “Dahlin” on pair one we still need plenty of talent on the other pairs.

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Thorny said:

I’m not saying it’s good without Samuelsson. I’m saying it would be just as bad but likely worse without Dahlin 

That's where we disagree.  Power would pick up the extra duties and he is a budding dynamic player who can run the 1st PP.  After Samuelsson who do we have that is on that level defensively?  No one.  Joki is second, but he isn't exactly stellar defensively and Bush isn't good.  

26 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

That's where we disagree.  Power would pick up the extra duties and he is a budding dynamic player who can run the 1st PP.  After Samuelsson who do we have that is on that level defensively?  No one.  Joki is second, but he isn't exactly stellar defensively and Bush isn't good.  

I agree. Samuelsson is actually the more valuable guy. 2 point stay at home d men who are really good defensively can’t be found outside round 2, if we traded Dahlin or Power we could just go get another and you only need 1 anyways 

Edited by Thorny

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Are you seriously suggesting Dahlin is easily replaceable?  He is playing at a Norris calibre level this season.  Sheesh. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Derrico said:

Are you seriously suggesting Dahlin is easily replaceable?  He is playing at a Norris calibre level this season.  Sheesh. 

no of course not. What I'm saying is that we are in a better position to weather a short term absence of Dahlin vs Samuelsson.  Ultimately it comes down to where the depth in our organization.  How many teams have a No 1 over all D as the anchor of the 2nd pair? Zero outside of the Sabres, but that fact means we have great depth there then we do in D first players like Samuelsson.  

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

no of course not. What I'm saying is that we are in a better position to weather a short term absence of Dahlin vs Samuelsson.  Ultimately it comes down to where the depth in our organization.  How many teams have a No 1 over all D as the anchor of the 2nd pair? Zero outside of the Sabres, but that fact means we have great depth there then we do in D first players like Samuelsson.  

Man I just can’t imagine relying on a rookie to step in and fill Dahlin shoes.  I love power and Muel as much as the next guy but Dahlin and TNT are the mvp and either goes down…well I don’t want to think of anyone going down.  

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, TheAud said:

My observation is that he prevents goals from being scored vs. the Sabres...the very thing they are weakest at. 

Welcome back!

7 hours ago, Two or less said:

Yeah it all comes down to cost. I'm okay dealing some of the prospects as long as it makes sense for us too.

Welcome back!

• Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ItsMillerTime said:

This is what professional hockey looks like, and how Fantasy Sports have changed everyone's perspectives. Mattias grew up in and around the NHL, was a US U-18 and U-20 Captain, 32nd overall draft pick, is 6-4, and skates with a stick that DAHLIN has dubbed "The Cobra."  He could put up some points if he had some PP time as he was an over .5ppg skater in Roch the last two years - but he's not going to get that time - he's too valuable to not have out there when "they" have the puck.  He's ALWAYS in the right spots to shut down what's coming at him, and I think Andy has helped take his game to the next level with the communication and "on-ice coach" wisdom.  That alone has made Andy's last year worth the investment.

This quote from Tuch I think says it all: "He’s a really good skater. Not the fastest guy in the world, but he’s able to move really well and he’s always in the right spot. He’s got a long stick that makes it impossible to beat him one-on-one and he’s really strong too.”

It's obvious that Granato has emphasized puck possession, and has allowed Tage, Dahlin and everyone else for that matter to Dangle when it's appropriate. It's the most Anti-Kruegian tactic there is, and Muel is the equal and opposite reaction to Dangling. He just doesn't let it happen. If the goal is to score more than the other guys, Muel is someone I'm happy is on our side. Donny's system NEEDS someone like Muel to offset all the 2 on 1s that were coming at us when he was injured. Funny how those have slowed down since he's been back.

Welcome to the board!

16 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

One game to win the cup right now, have to take out one. Who do you take out?

Dahlin or Samuelsson. Who sits?

Edited by Thorny

Something about how fantasy has affected sports.  One example will explain why I lament their influence on player and team analysis.  I never play them and why I am aggressively ignorant of players' fantasy stats (i.e., I go out of my way to avoid even hearing about fantasy sports).

The 1999 NFL season was one of the early years of fantasy football.  The Buffalo Bills defence were apparently a terrible fantasy pick.  Aside from having no pro-bowlers, they were the #1 in points against, yards per opposition drive, and opposition 3-and-outs.  Would I have preferred more turnovers and flashier plays more often?  Sure.  But leading the league in those stats is great for keeping the team in games.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.