Sabres play at a 123 point pace this year with Samuelsson in the lineup

matter2003

7 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

What does he do that helps the team win so much? 

It's not scoring

It's not being intimidating 

Never really thought about him being fast 

?? 

My observation is that he prevents goals from being scored vs. the Sabres...the very thing they are weakest at. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

It's not scoring

?? 

He prevents attackers from making plays, separates his man from the puck and moves the puck to safety.

You know, defence.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 3

6 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

It's not scoring

?? 

He plays very solidly defensively and covers up for mistakes by his defense partners and allows them to get more involved in the offense without having to worry about their defensive responsibilities not being taken care of if they do.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

It's not scoring

?? 

Besides making it tougher for the opponents to score i think the big reason is his presence gives Dahlin more space and allows him to play more aggressive.

Imagine what this team could become if they added someone like Jacob Chychrun to the blue line?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Two or less said:

Besides making it tougher for the opponents to score i think the big reason is his presence gives Dahlin more space and allows him to play more aggressive.

Imagine what this team could become if they added someone like Jacob Chychrun to the blue line?

Gonna have to give up a Quinn, Peterka, Kulich or Rosen or something like that to get him. 

We will have to give up a top young forward, I suspect

4 minutes ago, Two or less said:

Yea, we would have more #7/8 dmen in the lineup on a regular basis. 
#chychrunisveryinjuryprone

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

He plays very solidly defensively and covers up for mistakes by his defense partners and allows them to get more involved in the offense without having to worry about their defensive responsibilities not being taken care of if they do.

He is on a trajectory to have a Bill Hajt or even Mike Ramsey type career. That trajectory, even if he doesn't become a HOF player, is a very good one

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Because this convo from the game thread belongs here:

2 hours ago, Dreams Burn Down said:

I consistently undervalue Muel's importance to this team.  The Bill Hajt comparisons made earlier on the board pan out.  I consistently undervalued Hajt and he's one of my favorite Sabres of all time.  Like Hajt, Muel is rarely out of position and plays a quietly stellar defensive game.  It's a pleasure to witness, really.

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Sabres with Mule in the lineup since March 1: 30/12/4. That’s a 114-point pace over a more than half a season sample size.

This year it’s 14/4/2.

(Edited to correct my math. Missed a loss)

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Shades of Bill Hajt. I don’t give a damn whether and how much he scores or records points.

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Yes.  The TEAM numbers on Samuelsson do not lie.  He is like Hajt in some ways.   

Bill Hajt - Tall, smart, strong, and rangy.  Very good skater too.  He would quickly get to the puck, look up and make a nice breakout pass - Boom - we are on the attack.  Even when he was about to get hit he kept cool and made the play.  He was a steady +30 player and excellent on the PK.    He did this consistently for over 12 seasons and 840 games.  Some people back in the day did not like that he was a not a fighter.  He was an unsung as you can get.   

1 hour ago, Derrico said:

I'm so glad we have Muel locked up for 7 years at such a discount relative to his worth to the team.  Ya he probably will never get the points which usually gets guys paid.  But man oh man we're lucky to have this guy locked up. 

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I postulated in another thread that while Tnt and Dahlin maybe "better" players, that Mule was our most important.  With guys like Power, we might be ok for a while without Dahlin.  We also have enough forward depth to survive for a short while without TnT. However, the stats without Mule are awful.  He simple smart style of defense makes everyone from the goalie out better.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, ItsMillerTime said:

This is what professional hockey looks like, and how Fantasy Sports have changed everyone's perspectives. Mattias grew up in and around the NHL, was a US U-18 and U-20 Captain, 32nd overall draft pick, is 6-4, and skates with a stick that DAHLIN has dubbed "The Cobra."  He could put up some points if he had some PP time as he was an over .5ppg skater in Roch the last two years - but he's not going to get that time - he's too valuable to not have out there when "they" have the puck.  He's ALWAYS in the right spots to shut down what's coming at him, and I think Andy has helped take his game to the next level with the communication and "on-ice coach" wisdom.  That alone has made Andy's last year worth the investment.

This quote from Tuch I think says it all: "He’s a really good skater. Not the fastest guy in the world, but he’s able to move really well and he’s always in the right spot. He’s got a long stick that makes it impossible to beat him one-on-one and he’s really strong too.”

It's obvious that Granato has emphasized puck possession, and has allowed Tage, Dahlin and everyone else for that matter to Dangle when it's appropriate. It's the most Anti-Kruegian tactic there is, and Muel is the equal and opposite reaction to Dangling. He just doesn't let it happen. If the goal is to score more than the other guys, Muel is someone I'm happy is on our side. Donny's system NEEDS someone like Muel to offset all the 2 on 1s that were coming at us when he was injured. Funny how those have slowed down since he's been back.

Hell of a first post. Welcome to the board!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Samuelsson is, right now, the best and most responsible stay-at-home defender on the team.  Is he the most skilled?  No.  Dahlin is more skilled but he is (reasonably) asked to play a different role, as is Power. Jokiharu is similar, but out for the time being.  I want Samuelsson here for a long time.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Samuelsson is, right now, the best and most responsible stay-at-home defender on the team.  Is he the most skilled?  No.  Dahlin is more skilled but he is (reasonably) asked to play a different role, as is Power. Jokiharu is similar, but out for the time being.  I want Samuelsson here for a long time.  

It appears he will be based on the 7 year contract extension he signed...for less than Risto gets on a per year basis...think about that one for a minute.

• Like (+1) 2

This is not measurable but his teammates love him. It sounds like he is a big oaf with a quick smile who doesn’t take things too seriously.

He is positionally sound and uses his big body to slow opponents down, separate them from the puck, deliver some nice hits, clear the crease of pucks, tie guys up while not screening his goalie and block shots. Not very sexy but extremely valuable.

A glue guy defensively and in the room.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.