Is Devon Levi Trying to Force His Way Home?

Porous Five Hole

1 hour ago, Mango said:

Even though I commented on a KA over committing to Levi post, this is largely what I meant. We are scoring too many goals to put all of our eggs into the “wait for (insert goalie) to develop” basket. 

I would love for the Sabres to grab somebody if it makes sense this year. But it has to make sense. Otherwise, as production stands today, I don’t see a ton of reason to comit to anybody on the roster/rights into the 23/24 season without trying to make another move. 

Really believe the Sabres have their eyes set on becoming a contender next season & primarily w/ the team they currently have.  W/ that said, Comrie & UPL have the rest of this season to show they could backstop a contending team on a Stanley Cup run.  If they can't, expect the Sabres will bring in another goalie this offseason after Levi & Portillo have made their intentions known.  And that goalie will be brought in regardless of what Levi & Portillo decide IF Comrie & UPL both show they aren't #1's.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Really believe the Sabres have their eyes set on becoming a contender next season & primarily w/ the team they currently have.  W/ that said, Comrie & UPL have the rest of this season to show they could backstop a contending team on a Stanley Cup run.  If they can't, expect the Sabres will bring in another goalie this offseason after Levi & Portillo have made their intentions known.  And that goalie will be brought in regardless of what Levi & Portillo decide IF Comrie & UPL both show they aren't #1's.

It's going to be interesting to see how the organization handles the goaltending situation when Comrie comes back. What will the distribution of play be among the three goalies? Will UPL be sent back down to Rochester? It will be important for the front office to make an assessment on Comrie this season. In my opinion, UPL has a longer timeline as far as assessment period. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

This sounds too normal to actually happen.  

• Haha (+1) 1

I was wrong about the "Waiting on Levi" strategy.  The truth is as of right now KA doesn't have a cohesive goaltending strategy and hasn't for 2 years.  He has no goaltenders signed beyond next season.  Comrie is an experiment that may or may not (probably not) bare fruit.  Anderson is 41 and likely to retire.  UPL, despite a recent spell of excellent play, is much more likely a bust than a franchise goaltender.  Both Levi and Portillo have back tracked this season in the NCAA.  Assuming both sign, it's likely a minimum of 2 more years before either makes the NHL and the recently drafted goalie has a .841 save % this season in Finland.  

Based on contract status, Comrie and UPL are Buffalo's goaltenders next season.  Can anyone honestly say you're confident they can give us playoff caliber goaltending?  Combined they have 61 games of NHL experience.  Stats YTD - Comrie 3.62 .887 & UPL 3.44 .891.  

The wait and see if any of the spaghetti strands will stick to the wall will continue for the rest of this season and maybe next.  Don't give me he tried to acquire Gibson and Murray bs.  There are 79 goalies who have suited up this season in the NHL this season, only 19 have trade protection (and some of those are Cal Petersen, Halak, Grubauer, Binnington, and M Jones who we probably don't want) There are other options.  He just has to be willing to take a risk and spend some assets to get the team adequate goaltending.  Until he makes a real move to to fix the goaltending, goaltending will continue to be this team's Achilles Heal.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 2

5 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I was wrong about the "Waiting on Levi" strategy.  The truth is as of right now KA doesn't have a cohesive goaltending strategy and hasn't for 2 years.  He has no goaltenders signed beyond next season.  Comrie is an experiment that may or may not (probably not) bare fruit.  Anderson is 41 and likely to retire.  UPL, despite a recent spell of excellent play, is much more likely a bust than a franchise goaltender.  Both Levi and Portillo have back tracked this season in the NCAA.  Assuming both sign, it's likely a minimum of 2 more years before either makes the NHL and the recently drafted goalie has a .841 save % this season in Finland.  

Based on contract status, Comrie and UPL are Buffalo's goaltenders next season.  Can anyone honestly say your confident they can give us playoff caliber goaltending?  Combined they have 61 games of NHL experience.  Stats YTD - Comrie 3.62 .887 & UPL 3.44 .891.  

The wait and see if any of the spaghetti strands will stick to the wall will continue for the rest of this season and maybe next.  Don't give me he tried to acquire Gibson and Murray bs.  There are 79 goalies who have suited up this season in the NHL this season, only 19 have trade protection (and some of those are Cal Petersen, Halak, Grubauer, Binnington, and M Jones who we probably don't want) There are other options.  He just has to be willing to take a risk and spend some assets to get the team adequate goaltending.  Until he makes a real move to to fix the goaltending, goaltending will continue to be this team's Achilles Heal.

But they’ve also drafted a couple of guys that will be ready in 5 years, stoopid.

/s

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Based on contract status, Comrie and UPL are Buffalo's goaltenders next season.  Can anyone honestly say your confident they can give us playoff caliber goaltending?  Combined they have 61 games of NHL experience.  Stats YTD - Comrie 3.62 .887 & UPL 3.44 .891.  

All right. Name names. List the goalies you want Adams to trade for and their worth. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

All right. Name names. List the goalies you want Adams to trade for and their worth. 

He did make a Thatcher Demko proposal in another thread.  I thought than Vancouvrt would want better parts like Savoie.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I agree with all of this except the part about UPL probably being a bust. It's too early to give up on him. There are lots of goalies who takes years to develop. Ullmark took time. I'm not giving up on UPL yet but he needs lots of one on one coaching and more time playing in Rochester (probably). 

I'm firmly in the camp of KA botching goaltending. He's been bargain hunting rather than prioritizing. Unless Comrie comes back and shines to the point of surprising everyone we need to add at least one solid NHL goalie to have any real shot next year. 

If I had to guess now, I think he will add another old guy next year instead of Anderson. There's a number of (possibly over the hill) free agents out there for next season. Unless we don't get Levi or Portello, then he might have to come up with an actual plan. 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

If I had to guess now, I think he will add another old guy next year instead of Anderson. There's a number of (possibly over the hill) free agents out there for next season. Unless we don't get Levi or Portello, then he might have to come up with an actual plan. 

Sadly, I think the plan right now is Comrie/UPL.  I hope and pray that he prioritizes the defense depth and goaltending. Until he does, I can honestly say I don't think he is committed to winning.  

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Not my job.  It's KAs and he so far has given us Anderson, Dell, Subban and Comrie.  That said, I've mentioned Adin HIll before.  I also mentioned Casey DeSmith as a bridge starter.  I'm still interested in seeing if we can get Binnington cheap.  I still like the Demko idea. There are many more. KA may have to overpay.  The good news is that we have to cap space, picks and prospects to get it done.  He is just going to have to bite the bullet.  Trying is no longer enough.  As some point he is going to have to succeed in getting legit goaltending.

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Sadly, I think the plan right now is Comrie/UPL.  I hope and pray that he prioritizes the defense depth and goaltending. Until he does, I can honestly say I don't think he is committed to winning.  

Not my job.  It's KAs and he so far has given us Anderson, Dell, Subban and Comrie.  That said, I've mentioned Adin HIll before.  I also mentioned Casey DeSmith as a bridge starter.  I'm still interested in seeing if we can get Binnington cheap.  I still like the Demko idea. There are many more. KA may have to overpay.  The good news is that we have to cap space, picks and prospects to get it done.  He is just going to have to bite the bullet.  Trying is no longer enough.  As some point he is going to have to succeed in getting legit goaltending.

I want nothing and I mean nothing to do with Binnington. Dude is a grade A dick. 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It is your job though because you claim he isn't doing anything so name guys that are available. I think you did here. I'd love for KA to add another goalie and I agree that he's not going to do it because the price isn't what he wants. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Disagree 1

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It is your job though because you claim he isn't doing anything so name guys that are available. I think you did here. I'd love for KA to add another goalie and I agree that he's not going to do it because the price isn't what he wants. 

I also believe that KA is following the Carolina model when it comes to goaltending. Unless you can acquire the “elite” level goaltending, you have to weigh the costs versus the impact. He deemed Murray and Gibson worth the cost. The others that were available not so much.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Hell this past off-season, he could have traded for Georgiev and Vanacek who were available RFAs and instead he went the cheaper route and signed Comrie.  Had I been in charge I might have taken a flier on Vanacek and Comrie and let them battle it out for the No. 1 job.   Both guys were mentioned in last off-season's thread as available.  Both have proven to be substantial upgrades over what we have.  

The price for Georgiev was a 2nd, a 6th both in 2022 and a 3rd in 2023.  Not exactly a huge sum.  Vanecek went for a similar price, a 2nd and a 3rd in 2022.  We could have easily afforded these prices and it wouldn't have affected our pipeline much as all.  We basically would have parted with the pick we used on Leinonen (who won't help us for at least 5 years) and other even less valuable pieces.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I also believe that KA is following the Carolina model when it comes to goaltending. Unless you can acquire the “elite” level goaltending, you have to weigh the costs versus the impact. He deemed Murray and Gibson worth the cost. The others that were available not so much.

Considering Vanecek and Georgiev were younger and cheaper, maybe he should have taken a chance on them instead of Murray and Gibson.  They also didn't have NMC/NTC and would have had no choice but to come here.  

All this team needs is consistent average NHL goaltending to succeed, much like the Devils.  I honestly don't see why KA has such trouble even acquiring an average goaltender who can suit up 40-50 games.

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

Considering Vanecek and Georgiev were younger and cheaper, maybe he should have taken a chance on them instead of Murray and Gibson.  They also didn't have NMC/NTC and would have had no choice but to come here.  

All this team needs is consistent average NHL goaltending to succeed, much like the Devils.  I honestly don't see why KA has such trouble even acquiring an average goaltender who can suit up 40-50 games.

I would have been down for Georgiev. 

13 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Hell this past off-season, he could have traded for Georgiev and Vanacek who were available RFAs and instead he went the cheaper route and signed Comrie.  Had I been in charge I might have taken a flier on Vanacek and Comrie and let them battle it out for the No. 1 job.   Both guys were mentioned in last off-season's thread as available.  Both have proven to be substantial upgrades over what we have.  

The price for Georgiev was a 2nd, a 6th both in 2022 and a 3rd in 2023.  Not exactly a huge sum.  Vanecek went for a similar price, a 2nd and a 3rd in 2022.  We could have easily afforded these prices and it wouldn't have affected our pipeline much as all.  We basically would have parted with the pick we used on Leinonen (who won't help us for at least 5 years) and other even less valuable pieces.  

Couple things: 

Comrie said that he came here for the opportunity, if we brought in another goalie he probably wouldn’t have come here, as there would have been better options for him as a backup. 

Hindsight is 20/20, VERY FEW people on here wanted anything to do with Georgiev who last year posted a .898 while Shesterkin put up a .935. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I believe both of those fell under the “not significantly better” column, in his opinion. 

5 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I believe both of those fell under the “not significantly better” column, in his opinion. 

....and he would have been wrong. Both had better pedigrees quicker ascents to the NHL.  I viewed both as a significant upgrade over Subban, Dell, Tokarski, Anderson combo from last year.  KA instead choose the cheaper opinion.  

Yes, Comrie might not have come, but he was re-signing Anderson as the backup anyway.  

24 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

....and he would have been wrong. Both had better pedigrees quicker ascents to the NHL.  I viewed both as a significant upgrade over Subban, Dell, Tokarski, Anderson combo from last year.  KA instead choose the cheaper opinion.  

Yes, Comrie might not have come, but he was re-signing Anderson as the backup anyway.  

I meant he didn’t think they were significant upgrades over a “free” Comrie and Anderson.

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I think you are right about this, for this year, but I can't believe they won't be committed to winning next year. That would be insane. 

The draft is incredibly deep this year, and they knew that, and they have extra picks, and they are teaching kids so imo there was zero urgency to win now. What would be the point of not trying to leap forward next year though? I just can't see that as a plan. 

I firmly believe all the talk for next year will be on competing, winning, and making the playoffs. But they'll need a goalie (and D depth) to do that. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.