Rasmus Ristolainen, the myth has finally been broken

LGR4GM

3 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Not me.

Sam the spoiled NHL-kid Vancouver raised Reinhart has no business on this team. He was absolutely part of the culture problem up until he was traded. 

I agree. While his pure production and skill potential on paper would be a welcome addition, I think this teams style of play make him a not-so-great fit. 

As for my style of play comment, when I watched Sam when he was here and a little bit in florida, he's good in the offensive zone, but he is not someone that is good at getting stretch passes and pulling away form the other team on a break, and I remember too many times that he would lose the puck or make a bad pass when transitioning in the neutral zone.  He would be good on the Sabres PP, good when the puck is already in the zone, but this current Sabres team seems to be one that likes quick hitting passes out of the zone through the neutral zone, or skating very fast rushes through the neutral zone.  That is not just what he excels at.

I thought Sam and Jack worked well together. I used to think Eichel was the slowest 'fast' guy on the ice. Meaning he was a very fast skater, but he liked to just casually bring the puck in over the blue line, control it, set up and look around a bit. That is NOT how this current team plays.  This team is fast passing, fast skating, stretch passing, and even quick hitter passing when established i the zone.  Sam and Jack COULD do those things to an extent, but that was not their preferred style of play.

Plus, Eichel and Sam I never really connected with as a fan.  While they were hear I wanted them to do well but, even in their best years there was something missing from my point of view as a fan.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I agree. While his pure production and skill potential on paper would be a welcome addition, I think this teams style of play make him a not-so-great fit. 

As for my style of play comment, when I watched Sam when he was here and a little bit in florida, he's good in the offensive zone, but he is not someone that is good at getting stretch passes and pulling away form the other team on a break, and I remember too many times that he would lose the puck or make a bad pass when transitioning in the neutral zone.  He would be good on the Sabres PP, good when the puck is already in the zone, but this current Sabres team seems to be one that likes quick hitting passes out of the zone through the neutral zone, or skating very fast rushes through the neutral zone.  That is not just what he excels at.

I thought Sam and Jack worked well together. I used to think Eichel was the slowest 'fast' guy on the ice. Meaning he was a very fast skater, but he liked to just casually bring the puck in over the blue line, control it, set up and look around a bit. That is NOT how this current team plays.  This team is fast passing, fast skating, stretch passing, and even quick hitter passing when established i the zone.  Sam and Jack COULD do those things to an extent, but that was not their preferred style of play.

Plus, Eichel and Sam I never really connected with as a fan.  While they were hear I wanted them to do well but, even in their best years there was something missing from my point of view as a fan.

Sam developed into a very good hockey player with the Sabres.  I recall that DG liked him too and i have no doubt he would be playing good hockey for Granato.  

A problem that Sam has with Sabres fans is that he was not the dynamic player that you think you should get in his draft position as 2OA.  The top scoring forwards in his draft class are Draisaitl, Pastrnak, and Point (in 100+ less games).   Sam is solidly in the next tier with Larkin, Nylander and Ehlers in scoring.  

Sam was very good but unfortunately, he was never going to stay here given the poor way the club was run in his tenure here.  

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Sam developed into a very good hockey player with the Sabres.  I recall that DG liked him too and i have no doubt he would be playing good hockey for Granato.  

A problem that Sam has with Sabres fans is that he was not the dynamic player that you think you should get in his draft position as 2OA.  The top scoring forwards in his draft class are Draisaitl, Pastrnak, and Point (in 100+ less games).   Sam is solidly in the next tier with Larkin, Nylander and Ehlers in scoring.  

Sam was very good but unfortunately, he was never going to stay here given the poor way the club was run in his tenure here.  

At least Ehlers can skate, Reinhart reminded me of Vanek, on his quicker nights.

Serviceable player, who ended up going way too early in a weak draft class.

7 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Not me.

Sam the spoiled NHL-kid Vancouver raised Reinhart has no business on this team. He was absolutely part of the culture problem up until he was traded. 

I'm in between on him.  Disclaimer:  I have a Reino jersey from those heady days when we thought Eichel was the answer.  My recollection is that he was one of the players that immediately looked better once Krueger was gone, and if I recall he was playing center at that point and looked fine doing it.  He led the Sabres in scoring his last year here.  He didn't publicly complain; always a good soldier.

I think Kevyn targeted Reino to move because he was too close to Eichel, and because he liked the return.  Would he have been good on this Sabres team?  I think so; but I'm not sure he brought the kind of energy Kevyn wanted.

Risto just got his first assist of the season along with his zero goals. In 27 games. That awful output is a shocker. He's a specimen, sure and he hits. But I think he's weak mentally and he's been ruined by the chaos of the Sabres organization, too much losing and too many coaches/gms. I expect he'll go back to Europe relatively soon.

4 hours ago, Quint said:

Risto just got his first assist of the season along with his zero goals. In 27 games. That awful output is a shocker. He's a specimen, sure and he hits. But I think he's weak mentally and he's been ruined by the chaos of the Sabres organization, too much losing and too many coaches/gms. I expect he'll go back to Europe relatively soon.

He's signed for 4 more seasons.

11 hours ago, Quint said:

Ristolainen is strong as an ox and almost as bright.

• Haha (+1) 4

It's funny, I'm watching a replay of the Flyers Carolina game from last night and the Carolina announcers just said "I have to question Ristolainen's brain power" . (He cross checked a guy into Hart injuring him). Typical dumb Risto move but maybe if Hart's out for a long time he will get a bonus for increasing their chances at getting Bedard 🙂

• Haha (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Marvin said:

For others on the analytics bandwagon, how do analytics people quantify hockey sense?

I think that hockey sense is best looked at by a combination of numbers and also eye test. I wouldn't trust analytics alone to show hockey IQ although, I would expect the numbers of someone with a high iq to be better in certain areas. HD passes, zone entries, shot suppression. But again, not a good way to quantity it as a solo variable. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.