Kane for the quest to the Cup?

JohninMinn.

I would be mildly surprised if the Sabres carry any rookies next year.

The only prospect with an even 50/50 chance to make the team is Ryan Johnson if he signs. Maybe Rousek as a longshot? What’s happening this year is the settling in of the core and I suspect next year’s additions will be about how to best complement that core to “win now” (you’re welcome @Thorny)

Savoie and Kulich aren’t likely to play as teenagers in a bottom 6 that also includes Krebs, Olofsson and Mittlestadt, no matter how good they finish the year, and Levi would have to absolutely blow the doors off Comrie and UPL after he signs to finish the season.

If Olofsson or Mittelstadt is moved, I suspect their spots will be taken by new veterans. The cap would pretty much demand it even if team chemistry didn’t.

Only semi-related: Okposo will be traded to a contender of his choice at the deadline if the Sabres are out of the race and will ponder an offer to retire into a front office role with the Sabres this summer.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3

31 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The only prospect with an even 50/50 chance to make the team is Ryan Johnson if he signs. Maybe Rousek as a longshot? What’s happening this year is the settling in of the core and I suspect next year’s additions will be about how to best complement that core to “win now” (you’re welcome @Thorny)

Savoie and Kulich aren’t likely to play as teenagers in a bottom 6 that also includes Krebs, Olofsson and Mittlestadt, no matter how good they finish the year, and Levi would have to absolutely blow the doors off Comrie and UPL after he signs to finish the season.

If Olofsson or Mittelstadt is moved, I suspect their spots will be taken by new veterans. The cap would pretty much demand it even if team chemistry didn’t.

Only semi-related: Okposo will be traded to a contender of his choice at the deadline if the Sabres are out of the race and will ponder an offer to retire into a front office role with the Sabres this summer.

What do you see them doing at G, under the “moves to win” banner, if anything? Open-to-anything-at-the-right-cost-but-content-with-what-we-have-if-not

kinda deal? 

Or a priority focus? 

This is of course under the idea Comrie *doesn’t* end up showing much more, this season, than he’s already shown. If he does show some more, some legit promise I feel like they’ll run it back in net, more less 

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

What do you see them doing at G, under the “moves to win” banner, if anything? Open-to-anything-at-the-right-cost-but-content-with-what-we-have-if-not

kinda deal? 

Or a priority focus? 

This is of course under the idea Comrie *doesn’t* end up showing much more, this season, than he’s already shown. If he does show some more, some legit promise I feel like they’ll run it back in net, more less 

I think they committed to this year being Comrie-Anderson until UPL pushed his way though the door, and next year to Comrie-UPL until Levi (or Portillo) pushed his way through the door.

Of course they will deviate if that blows up in their faces, or if Thatcher Demko can be theirs for a 2nd-rounder.

But if neither of those thing happen, their inclination will be to stick with it and watch at least one of the three develop.

They stick with the players they believe in through good (Skinner, Thompson, Okposo, Dahlin, and more) or evil (Casey)

Here’s the kicker:

Last year we thought Adams’ goaltending choices were going to kill morale and hurt the development process for the team. We were wrong. There were some bumps early, but both the individual players and the team got better.

This year we thought Adams’ goaltending choices were going to kill morale and hurt the development process for the team. It’s early, but it’s starting look like we were wrong again. Both the individual players and the team are getting better.

If current trends continue, I can’t see myself being comfortable with UPL/Comrie/Levi as the last line of defence for a playoff team.

But if Adams is, and if current trends continue, who am I to argue?

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

I’ll make you a gentleman’s bet that either one of Kulich or Savoie are on the opening night roster for the 23/24 season 

42 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think they committed to this year being Comrie-Anderson until UPL pushed his way though the door, and next year to Comrie-UPL until Levi (or Portillo) pushed his way through the door.

Of course they will deviate if that blows up in their faces, or if Thatcher Demko can be theirs for a 2nd-rounder.

But if neither of those thing happen, their inclination will be to stick with it and watch at least one of the three develop.

They stick with the players they believe in through good (Skinner, Thompson, Okposo, Dahlin, and more) or evil (Casey)

Here’s the kicker:

Last year we thought Adams’ goaltending choices were going to kill morale and hurt the development process for the team. We were wrong. There were some bumps early, but both the individual players and the team got better.

This year we thought Adams’ goaltending choices were going to kill morale and hurt the development process for the team. It’s early, but it’s starting look like we were wrong again. Both the individual players and the team are getting better.

If current trends continue, I can’t see myself being comfortable with UPL/Comrie/Levi as the last line of defence for a playoff team.

But if Adams is, and if current trends continue, who am I to argue?

Well the GT hasn’t stopped us from improving but improvement isn’t just measured on a yes or no scale. Plenty to suggest we’d be significantly better WITH good goaltending and, if the rest of the team is good enough, what are we waiting for? 

Adams tried to get Murray, right? I like to think/hope he’s still at least open on HIS end to making an upgrade at the position of a more proven variety, I’m not saying he can definitely succeed in making the move but if it can be had, the opportunity cost of doing nothing if the roster really is shaping up is probably greater than the price of acquisition. Like I said I hope Murray points to the fact he is willing to pay and it just needs to be a good deal and then accepted on the other end, but the key thing there was addressing the position was a priority. 

From the perspective of now I don’t think we’ve seen enough to say, “mission accomplished”. I understand if Comrie getting a two year deal means they are giving him two full years to earn it, him or UPL, but again IF neither does by season’s end I hope it changes from being “open to” and it being a priority to look to add. UPL and Levi can start in Rochester if we did get another, more proven guy to complement our ready to go roster 

9 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

I’ll make you a gentleman’s bet that either one of Kulich or Savoie are on the opening night roster for the 23/24 season 

I'm really surprised you think either one of them is playing well enough to be tracking towards making the starting lineup. I'm curious how you arrived at this conclusion based on their so-so output in their respective lower tier leagues.

17 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

FWIW, that's not the same as making the team. Savoie would be eligible for a 9-game tryout (I think), and Kulich being in the AHL could come up and down without waivers.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.