Kane for the quest to the Cup?

JohninMinn.

54 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

If I am KA I would talk to him about signing as a UFA, but I am not going to trade anything for him.

He may be a lot different at 35 than at 20.  I surely was and most are.

Signing Patrick Kane is a lot different than when they tried it with Taylor Hall.

Did your edge work decline?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Maybe the Sabres sign them both??

They have been a pair forever and maybe they see this team as one more shot at a Cup.

Trade for Toews to help in a playoff push and he can report back to Kane how great the guys are and what they are building in Buffalo.

Mitts is from the Midwest and is young enough to improve and be a good player for Chicago.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, French Collection said:

They have been a pair forever and maybe they see this team as one more shot at a Cup.

Trade for Toews to help in a playoff push and he can report back to Kane how great the guys are and what they are building in Buffalo.

Mitts is from the Midwest and is young enough to improve and be a good player for Chicago.

Mitts + VO to Chicago for Toews + Kane straight up. Chicago gets to continue their rush to the bottom, but 1.5 seasons of a 2nd line. And Mitts is still an RFA and could still pop. And Chicago could still re-sign both of them in the offseason. Of course, we'd need to find new folks to complain about.

• dislike 1

11 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I would make a trade for Taves this season.  He probably does not fit the plan, but we are getting to the point where KA will start to think about adding important missing pieces.  He needs to find a Dman or two as well, but I think that would more likely come in the summer, unless the Sabres are pushing real hard for a very realistic playoff this season.

7 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Mitts + VO to Chicago for Toews + Kane straight up. Chicago gets to continue their rush to the bottom, but 1.5 seasons of a 2nd line. And Mitts is still an RFA and could still pop. And Chicago could still re-sign both of them in the offseason. Of course, we'd need to find new folks to complain about.

I admire your spunk and logic even if you are only half serious on this proposal, but I would not trade for Kane.  I would consider signing him in the summer.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

I admire your spunk and logic even if you are only half serious on this proposal, but I would not trade for Kane.  I would consider signing him in the summer.

For sure. I am long on record saying don't trade for Kane for any reason. If he wants to be 2RW next season, he can sign a super Buffalo-friendly 3-year deal and help them win the multiple Cups. But no assets to be given away for him.

Toews... as a rental... yeah, I think he'd be a decent fit given this team's needs and how the season is unfurling. But Toews has to approve the deal and I'm betting he wants to go to a "contender". I'm not giving up a 1st nor our top prospects for a rental of him, which is what Chicago would be asking. His rental is not in the team's timeline.

• Like (+1) 1

They need defense, a third line and maybe a goalie.  Maybe Kane could be a third liner here but I don’t want to mess up the chemistry the kids have on this team.  It’s important.  You can see the results of ridding ourselves of one pompous jackass.  To bring in another one, under the current circumstances, could be problematic. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

The only way a Kane trade happens this year is if Kane pulls a Taylor Hall and insists on being traded only to the Sabres, allowing KA to lowball the Hawks.

That seems highly unlikely.  Among other reasons, Kane has spent his entire career with Chicago, won multiple Cups and made a zillion dollars.  He's almost certainly not going to screw them on the way out the door. 

Kane and Toews are too valuable players to be given away for nothing. For each them, they will ask for 1 draft pick and someone else of value, and both of them are running out of contracts. Very big chance to buy air. But if you choose from these two, Toews is better.

Edited by Berg

Could Kane replace VO as 3RW? Maybe. I'm mildly convinced that VO is being dragged down by Mitts. Trade Mitts for a mid-level D, see if VO rebounds. If he doesn't, trade him and *think* about signing Kane as a UFA. I don't think Toews is "good" any more, even a few years ago people were talking about his contract being an albatross.

Edited by MattPie

3 minutes ago, MattPie said:

Could Kane replace VO as 3RW? Maybe. I'm mildly convinced that VO is being dragged down by Mitts. Trade Mitts for a mid-level D, see if VO rebounds. If he doesn't, trade him and *think* about signing Kane as a UFA. I don't think Toews is "good" any more, even a few years ago people were talking about his contract being an albatross.

Taves is UFA after this season.  For a trade to work he would have to agree to a new contract that he would sign after the trade is announced.  2 years and $5M / $6M with maybe some bonus numbers on top of that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.