Sabres Best player?

mjd1001

Who is the Sabres best player right now?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the Sabres best player now?

• Tage Thompson
    • Rasmus Dahlin
    • Someone else

13 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I stand by this 

Power is so different than Dahlin that it will be difficult to compare.

I think Dahlin has more raw talent and will always be flashier.  I think Power is headier, calmer, and his size with plenty of talent will result in a different kind of advantage.

I could see Power’s game resulting in a James Patrick length career too.

Rasmus Dahlin is the best defenseman in the NHL. He’s 22. Power is 20. Will Power be the best defenseman in the NHL in 2 years? Can’t imagine Dahlin’s high mark, at the top, given he’s only 22 and lost 2 years under Krueger, is close to set, either. It’s a fun question to ponder considering “better than the guy who’s already the best and getting better all the time” is far from a necessary expectation. 

Im all but certain we’ll have the best 1-2 combo in the near future wherever they settle. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

Wait til Power adds 20 lbs and a couple of years of experience.  I’m thinking a Mike Ramsey who scores 15 goals and add 50 assists.

Dahlin will be a Housley who can actually play defense.   I honestly believe he’ll be the first Sabres D to score 90 points and I think he’ll exceed 100 pts in the near future.  

Housley actually had a 97 pt season with Wpg.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

Wait til Power adds 20 lbs and a couple of years of experience.  I’m thinking a Mike Ramsey who scores 15 goals and add 50 assists.

Dahlin will be a Housley who can actually play defense.   I honestly believe he’ll be the first Sabres D to score 90+ points.  

Interesting question is who gets more points this year, Dahlin, or the team? Both sit at 55.

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

No like Dahlin has 55 points and the Sabres have 55 standings points 

Dahlin technically pacing for 95 as he missed a game, Sabres pacing for 94

It will be close. Sabres make the playoffs with 97 points.  So the Sabres.

I thought you mean the D group.  I think all the other D who have played this season have 54 points.  This Dahlin 55 vs rest of D 54.

• Thanks (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Weave said:

Power is so different than Dahlin that it will be difficult to compare.

I think Dahlin has more raw talent and will always be flashier.  I think Power is headier, calmer, and his size with plenty of talent will result in a different kind of advantage.

I could see Power’s game resulting in a James Patrick length career too.

Barring injury, it's almost given, I'd say. And he doesn't play the type of game that invites injury.

Kid plays the game in a rocking chair at 20, and he'll be doing it at 40.

31 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I thought you mean the D group.  I think all the other D who have played this season have 54 points.  This Dahlin 55 vs rest of D 54.

Actually right now the cutoff for the East is still 92.5 points. 

38 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Good stat pull 

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Rasmus Dahlin is the best defenseman in the NHL. He’s 22. Power is 20. Will Power be the best defenseman in the NHL in 2 years? Can’t imagine Dahlin’s high mark, at the top, given he’s only 22 and lost 2 years under Krueger, is close to set, either. It’s a fun question to ponder considering “better than the guy who’s already the best and getting better all the time” is far from a necessary expectation. 

Im all but certain we’ll have the best 1-2 combo in the near future wherever they settle. 

Whenever I watch the Sabres my eyes tell me that he is the best player on the ice. You make an interesting point about the Krueger fiasco and how it held back his development. Did it set back Dahlin's advancement to this point? I'm not really sure that it did because it appears to me that once the yoke of Krueger was released, the player quickly caught up with matching his talents with his play.  

While I think RK is one of worst coaches ever in the NHL, in a strange way I think he may have helped Dahlin and Skinner.  Skinner hustles so much more on the back check than he did before RK arrived.  Dahlin gained a D awareness under RK that DG says is now ingrained in how Dahlin plays.  Whether that was RK tutelage or not is debatable, but they are both better on the D end of things then before RK was hired.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Dahlin will be a Housley who can actually play defense.   I honestly believe he’ll be the first Sabres D to score 90 points and I think he’ll exceed 100 pts in the near future.  

Housley actually had a 97 pt season with Wpg.

Which means he won't be a Housley.

The term you're looking for is Potvin.  😉

Power could be our Robinson.

38 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

While I think RK is one of worst coaches ever in the NHL, in a strange way I think he may have helped Dahlin and Skinner.  Skinner hustles so much more on the back check than he did before RK arrived.  Dahlin gained a D awareness under RK that DG says is now ingrained in how Dahlin plays.  Whether that was RK tutelage or not is debatable, but they are both better on the D end of things then before RK was hired.

It's possible; not likely, but possible.  And an interesting theory.  

Would expect if it was beneficial for either it's more likely in Skinner's case as he was never defensively sound in the NHL pre-Krueger either.  (Not that he's great at that end but at least he's not a tire fire.)  But Dahlin was very good in his own end in Juniors & also played with a mean streak.   The biggest thing that helped him in those areas after becoming an NHLer was gaining man-strength.  At 18, he was willing, but couldn't move guys in his own end & his shot wasn't particularly hard, but it was accurate & he was a very good, exceptional actually, passer (when not wearing down, towards the end of his rookie year he took a SMALL step back).  Even w/ that he still had one of the best sub-20 campaigns ever.

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Don Granato was on the RK staff. When he took over, he said on a WGR broadcast that even when Skinner was being marginalized by the previous coach, he still was one of the hardest working players in practice. The bottom line is not only were Dahlin and Skinner grossly misused, so were all the players on the roster were. He had an archaic system in the modern world of hockey. Failure was unavoidable.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.