There is still a ton of hockey left.

FanaticSense06

7 points out of a play-off spot with a game in hand. Still 53 games to be played for the Sabres. 34 - 19 would give us 96 points at the end of the season. This team can score goals, a lot of goals, they are 1st in goals in the entire NHL right now with 108 in 28 games.

The Sabres got two rookies centered by another young player in Cozens who are all having break-out seasons together to make a great 2nd line. Tage Thompson - Tuch - Skinner are all racking up the points as a great 1st line. Dahlin is having an amazing season, Power is looking like he is starting to get used to the NHL and has 10 points now and is a +8, and even Krebs has been putting up a couple goals recently.

Mittelstadt and Olofsson seem to be the weak links on in the top 6 with a combined -21 though Olofsson does have 12 goals, but how many have really been at key moments and not just piling on an already won game really? I would not mind seeing any of the top 7 point producing forwards on the Rochester Americans get a try-out over these two players if they continue to struggle, that is what a real organization would do that wants to win.

But even if not if all the players mentioned above doing well continue to improve, and they definitely could continue to improve based on their ages, and maybe even if Kevyn can somehow bring in some defensive or goalie help, the Sabres could still surprise this season and sneak in the play-offs.

There is a crap ton of Hockey left to be played.

• Like (+1) 5

26 minutes ago, FanaticSense06 said:

7 points out of a play-off spot with a game in hand. Still 53 games to be played for the Sabres. 34 - 19 would give us 96 points at the end of the season. This team can score goals, a lot of goals, they are 1st in goals in the entire NHL right now with 108 in 28 games.

The Sabres got two rookies centered by another young player in Cozens who are all having break-out seasons together to make a great 2nd line. Tage Thompson - Tuch - Skinner are all racking up the points as a great 1st line. Dahlin is having an amazing season, Power is looking like he is starting to get used to the NHL and has 10 points now and is a +8, and even Krebs has been putting up a couple goals recently.

Mittelstadt and Olofsson seem to be the weak links on in the top 6 with a combined -21 though Olofsson does have 12 goals, but how many have really been at key moments and not just piling on an already won game really? I would not mind seeing any of the top 7 point producing forwards on the Rochester Americans get a try-out over these two players if they continue to struggle, that is what a real organization would do that wants to win.

But even if not if all the players mentioned above doing well continue to improve, and they definitely could continue to improve based on their ages, and maybe even if Kevyn can somehow bring in some defensive or goalie help, the Sabres could still surprise this season and sneak in the play-offs.

Positivity. I like where your heads at. Others will too! 👍🏼

This will be a tough thread for the glass half empty crowd 😂

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Its not just the glass half empty crowd.  There truly is a middle ground called realists. And yes, to the optimist a 'realist' is looking like they ar half empty but they are not.  So yes, there is a lot of hockey left. Yes, very often a team in the Sabres position this time of year DOES get really hot and does make the playoffs. Yes, it does happen and it CAN happen with the Sabres. But it is more than just '7 points out'.   It is how many teams ahead of you that matters also.  If you are 7 points behind one team with no one else between you, fine.  But if there is a team 7 points ahead of you, one 6 points, a couple 4 or 5....then you have to pass all those teams for one spot  When you are just chasing one team, you are hoping/betting on OTHER teams around the NHL to beat that one team so you can make up points. But when there are so many teams in front of you, those 'other' teams you need to beat the team 7 points ahead of you will be gaining points themself while doing so, making them harder to catch.

Glass half empty..."Sabres have no shot, hole is too big." Glass half full..."they can do it, I can see a clear path to the playoffs"  the truth is probably someplace in between.

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Its not just the glass half empty crowd.  There truly is a middle ground called realists. And yes, to the optimist a 'realist' is looking like they ar half empty but they are not.  So yes, there is a lot of hockey left. Yes, very often a team in the Sabres position this time of year DOES get really hot and does make the playoffs. Yes, it does happen and it CAN happen with the Sabres. But it is more than just '7 points out'.   It is how many teams ahead of you that matters also.  If you are 7 points behind one team with no one else between you, fine.  But if there is a team 7 points ahead of you, one 6 points, a couple 4 or 5....then you have to pass all those teams for one spot  When you are just chasing one team, you are hoping/betting on OTHER teams around the NHL to beat that one team so you can make up points. But when there are so many teams in front of you, those 'other' teams you need to beat the team 7 points ahead of you will be gaining points themself while doing so, making them harder to catch.

Glass half empty..."Sabres have no shot, hole is too big." Glass half full..."they can do it, I can see a clear path to the playoffs"  the truth is probably someplace in between.

That's why the old cliche is true. One. Game. At. A. Time. Keep grinding. See where you are in March.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, FanaticSense06 said:

Olofsson seem to be the weak links on in the top 6 with a combined -21 though Olofsson does have 12 goals, but how many have really been at key moments and not just piling on an already won game really? I 

He scores big goals. Last night he opened the flood gates and then added another assist. He has scored winners in ot, in regulation and sometimes he has scored the teams only goal in a game. 

Heck, even the empty netters are big goals ending games with a W for us. But sure, let's run another talented hockey player out of town., Why not

• Like (+1) 1

Whether they do or don't its fun watching these guys grow.  You look at the bench and you see a bunch of kids.  They aren't winning in shootouts having scored one goal.  The fact they can blow out teams and the way they score goals with speed and skill is something we've waited for so long.  I don't worry about the playoffs.  If they don't they get to draft another piece hopefully.  Just trust the process lol.  The first time in such a long time i look forward to gamenight.  

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, larry michii said:

Whether they do or don't its fun watching these guys grow.  You look at the bench and you see a bunch of kids.  They aren't winning in shootouts having scored one goal.  The fact they can blow out teams and the way they score goals with speed and skill is something we've waited for so long.  I don't worry about the playoffs.  If they don't they get to draft another piece hopefully.  Just trust the process lol.  The first time in such a long time i look forward to gamenight.  

Welcome!

Brings me back to the term “Swashbucklers on ice”.

8 hours ago, FanaticSense06 said:

One good winning streak can turn things around and put us in the race.   That and avoiding losing streaks which have plagued us in past seasons.   

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

probably a ton of crap hockey left to be played too. 

Even with our losing record we have not played a lot of crap hockey.   They are inconsistent.  As a team they have to learn the 200-foot game while continuing to play fast and apply pressure.  We have a monster at 1C, two strong scoring lines, a Norris candidate on D, two other young great looking defensemen, a few solid vets, and a lot of prospects.   Just a few roster spots need upgrading and we need goaltending.  The quality of the hockey is improving even if the standings do not reflect it at this time.  As a long-time hockey fan, you must see that? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

If they don't solve the goaltending issue there's nothing else to discuss. They won't win enough to make up the gap.

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Even with our losing record we have not played a lot of crap hockey.   They are inconsistent.  As a team they have to learn the 200-foot game while continuing to play fast and apply pressure.  We have a monster at 1C, two strong scoring lines, a Norris candidate on D, two other young great looking defensemen, a few solid vets, and a lot of prospects.   Just a few roster spots need upgrading and we need goaltending.  The quality of the hockey is improving even if the standings do not reflect it at this time.  As a long-time hockey fan, you must see that? 

There are without a doubt aspects of the game that have improved. When other teams let them, they can be dynamic and explosive. They do have the skill to score goals and can, at times, play a fast and exciting offensive game. There are however, many flaws, particularly on the defensive side of the game that I think will still lead to many bad games down the stretch. 

It's definitely more fun to watch this year than last though. and successfully moving on from the Eichel crap, the disappointments with Risto and the Reinhart debates has been refreshing. It's a more positive vibe all around for sure. I think we just disagree on how many holes the team has. If I'm correct you think we just need a few players, while I only like about half the current roster (maybe 2/3). 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

There are without a doubt aspects of the game that have improved. When other teams let them, they can be dynamic and explosive. They do have the skill to score goals and can, at times, play a fast and exciting offensive game. There are however, many flaws, particularly on the defensive side of the game that I think will still lead to many bad games down the stretch. 

It's definitely more fun to watch this year than last though. and successfully moving on from the Eichel crap, the disappointments with Risto and the Reinhart debates has been refreshing. It's a more positive vibe all around for sure. I think we just disagree on how many holes the team has. If I'm correct you think we just need a few players, while I only like about half the current roster (maybe 2/3). 

A few players (which must include a Goalie, veteran quality RHD, maybe some help at C, and better depth at D) to break into the conference top 8 and make the playoffs.    To get seriously good then add few more players (some of which may already be our system) and let our guys gain the experience needed to really challenge for an SC, which will take a few more years.  

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Zamboni said:

They have 14 regulation losses already and seems like 30 is the line in the sand vs playoffs.  So only 15 more regulation losses in 53 games with below average goalkeeping?  Would love for it to be, but just not seeing it.

Sabres were sitting in last place in their Division & tied for 2nd fewest points in the conference on Dec 31, 1997.  (Granted only 2 points out if a playoff spot, but still right at the bottom of the conference.)  Went on a tear in '98 and snuck into the playoffs.  They made it the the Conference Championship that year.

Just sayin' ...

8 hours ago, Pimlach said:

IMHO, there have been 4 bad games.  1/3 of the way through the season & w/ the depthless D decimated for 1/3-1/2 of that.  Would've been very pleased w/ that few true stinkers to this point prior to the season. 

17 hours ago, FanaticSense06 said:

To the bolded, guess it's a good thing that when everybody is available neither is in the top 6.  😉

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

To the bolded, guess it's a good thing that when everybody is available neither is in the top 6.  😉

That line with Casey played really well last night. I’m still not ready to give up on him.

Not sure he pairs well with VO, but I still have hope that he is going to be a valuable contributor for the team. It’s one of the things I’ll be watching for the rest of the season.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

He scores big goals. Last night he opened the flood gates and then added another assist. He has scored winners in ot, in regulation and sometimes he has scored the teams only goal in a game. 

Heck, even the empty netters are big goals ending games with a W for us. But sure, let's run another talented hockey player out of town., Why not

Speaking just for myself, I believe VO is an elite goal scorer. I do not think he is a good hockey player. I would trade him for a player that provided different needs. I felt differently a couple years ago when goals were hard to come by, but with the current team I feel he's expendable and is the most realistic trade piece to get a decent return to upgrade other deficiencies. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.