Is the Art Ross trophy misnamed??

matter2003

I like tradition but it is time.

I vote for Wayne Gretzky.

Norris becomes the Bobby Orr.

Selke becomes the Bob Gainey.

Adams becomes the Bowman.

Conn Smythe becomes ???

All of these greats are still alive and it would be great to honour them.

create one for defensive defenseman and call it the Rod Langway.

Campbell bowl and Prince of Wales can remain as they are really meaningless.

• Disagree 3

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

I like tradition but it is time.

I vote for Wayne Gretzky.

Norris becomes the Bobby Orr.

Selke becomes the Bob Gainey.

Adams becomes the Bowman.

Conn Smythe becomes ???

All of these greats are still alive and it would be great to honour them.

create one for defensive defenseman and call it the Rod Langway.

Campbell bowl and Prince of Wales can remain as they are really meaningless.

Biggest thing is changing the Conn Smythe trophy to someone else in light of the comments he directed at Herb Carnegie

”In 1938, Carnegie caught the eye of Toronto Maple Leafs owner Conn Smythe, who allegedly said that he would take Carnegie “tomorrow” if he could “turn him white.” According to The Canadian Encyclopedia, another version of the story has Smythe saying he would pay $10,000 to anyone who could turn Carnegie white.”

https://www.sportsnet.ca/longform/inside-fight-get-herb-carnegie-hockey-hall-fame/

Not saying we need to erase Smythe from the history books - but naming the most important trophy in hockey, for an individual, after him is a pretty big “Why?!” to me. 

• Like (+1) 2

23 hours ago, Thorny said:

Biggest thing is changing the Conn Smythe trophy to someone else in light of the comments he directed at Herb Carnegie

”In 1938, Carnegie caught the eye of Toronto Maple Leafs owner Conn Smythe, who allegedly said that he would take Carnegie “tomorrow” if he could “turn him white.” According to The Canadian Encyclopedia, another version of the story has Smythe saying he would pay $10,000 to anyone who could turn Carnegie white.”

https://www.sportsnet.ca/longform/inside-fight-get-herb-carnegie-hockey-hall-fame/

Not saying we need to erase Smythe from the history books - but naming the most important trophy in hockey, for an individual, after him is a pretty big “Why?!” to me. 

Meh, its like pointing out dumb stuff someone said on twitter as a kid.   Different era and mentality.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Meh, its like pointing out dumb stuff someone said on twitter as a kid.   Different era and mentality.

So you must have missed the part where I said he shouldn’t be erased from the record books? 

We don’t need to name the trophy after him, that’s all I’m saying 

Hardly a cancelation. But with notably racist comments attributed to him, I’d rather name the Smythe something else 

ymmv

Speaking of the Art Ross, Tage currently sits in 1st place in the race for the secondary Art Ross awarded to the player who sits at the top of the non-McDavid - and - cake - job - linemate rankings: the scoring trophy available for mere humans. 

Dahlin, in second, is closing in on Karlsson for 1st place in D scoring (no separate alien category, here)

- - - 

Tage, in 3rd for league scoring, is the same distance from 1st (15) as he is from 42nd. 

McDavid should be winning the Hart every year 

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, RangerDave said:

Well, since Mr. Ross was reportedly the person who presented the trophy to the NHL to award it to the highest scorer, it is probably not "misnamed".  Could it have a better name?  Sure.  However, I, for one, like tradition.

I agree that we leave it alone.  And his name really was Art Ross.  

• Like (+1) 1

Yeah, tradition isn't really the right word.  He literally donated the trophy that is used, it's hard to rename that.  Like if you pay for your alma mater to build a new teaching hospital after you, they don't get to rename it until they tear it down and build a new hospital.  And while a trophy is easily enough replaced, does anyone really want to do that in this case?

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Plenty of noteworthy names from the time who didn’t utter noteworthy racist statements, though 

Who are equally or more so deserving. The argument for keeping Smythe in it is simply “because that’s the way it’s been”

It wasn’t just a comment, he actively had a part in preventing Herb from being able to join the NHL

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.