Tage Thompson is the NHL 2nd Star of the Week

Brawndo

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Do you mean why can’t we find a goalie who can actually win 4 games in a week?  Good question.  Maybe Kevyn Adams knows.

Yes. The goalie who I never heard of who just won 4 games in a week.

Every team finds these kinda goalies but Buffalo it seems. 

40 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Yes. The goalie who I never heard of who just won 4 games in a week.

Every team finds these kinda goalies but Buffalo it seems. 

We have found them over the years. Hasek trade, the drafting of Barrasso, Sauve, Edwards, Biron, Miller with a late pick etc.. Had KA re-signed Ullmark to extension prior to his last season here we wouldn't be having this discussion and we'd already be a playoff team.  `

But this wasn't the route KA chose to go.  I think the solution is out there and it isn't Levi.  KA is just going to have succeed in acquiring the right player.  The "I tried" excuse is tired already.   As master Yoda said.  "Try not! Do or Do Not, There is no try!"

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

We have found them over the years. Hasek trade, the drafting of Barrasso, Sauve, Edwards, Biron, Miller with a late pick etc.. Had KA re-signed Ullmark to extension prior to his last season here we wouldn't be having this discussion and we'd already be a playoff team.  `

But this wasn't the route KA chose to go.  I think the solution is out there and it isn't Levi.  KA is just going to have succeed in acquiring the right player.  The "I tried" excuse is tired already.   As master Yoda said.  "Try not! Do or Do Not, There is no try!"

Ullmark - historically

2022-23 - SV% .941, GAA 1.77
2021-22 -  SV% .917, GAA 2.45
2020-21 - SV% .917, GAA 2.63
2019-20 - SV% .915, GAA 2.69
2018-19 - SV% .908, GAA 3.00

Now, would he make a difference given comparative stats of the team in front of him?

SA/GP
Bruins - 28.7, 5th best in the league.
Sabres - 32, 20th best.

Shots/GP
Bruins - 35 - 3rd best
Sabres - 32.7 - 10th.

GA/G
Bruins - 2.11, best in the league
Sabres - 3.68 - 27th.

GF/G
Bruins - 3.89 - best in the league
Sabres - 3.86 - 2nd.

PK
Bruins - 85.4% - best in the league
Sabres - 70.5% - 28th

GA
Bruins - 57 - best in the league
Sabres - 103 - 26th.

Ullmark is well above the league average in SV%. He's benefitting from a very good team in front of him who controls play. Gives up fewer shots, generates more. Scores like the Sabres but shuts down other team better.

In 3v4, 3v5, 4v5 scenarios - the Sabres have given up 27 goals, the Bruins 15. No goalie is making up that difference.

The Bruins have 4 players that are a negative +/-, combined they account for 23 man games, with 2 players only logging a single game.
The Sabres have 11 players that are a negative +/-, combined they account for 189 man games, with all but Sheahan logging double digit or higher games.

This team is losing because it's not sound defensively, we all know the 5 players where the problem lies: Bryson (-15), Mitts (-12), Olofsson (-9), Pilut (-4), Fitzgerald (-3).

As good as Ullmark is.. right now.  He's never been this good and everything points to a very talented team in front of him.  I don't even think if he kept his stats even the Sabres would improve enough to be in the playoffs. 

They'd be better, no doubt.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.