This team lacks desperation.

Eleven

I watched the last ten minutes of the third period last night and I was disappointed in the effort.  The team seemed scientific, even clinical, as it was chasing a tying goal.  There was no passion.  Meanwhile, I also watched Montreal search for a tying goal against LA, and the Canadiens were almost frantic.  A similar story played out in Toronto, where the Flames and Leaves were tied late.  That one looked like a Game Seven--both teams were on fire.  What is up with these 2022-23 Sabres and why does it look like they have no passion or desperation?

• Agree 2

IMO they got so use to the cute quick passes, that resulted in goals, in the past few games they thought they could do it against a perennial playoff team. Several times last night, even in the last 10 mins of the game, they were trying the across ice passes instead of taking the shot. Not surprising the passes consistently got broken up. 

tage also has to learn to get free when being double teamed. He will now be constantly taken out of plays if he doesn’t learn that. 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I watched the last ten minutes of the third period last night and I was disappointed in the effort.  The team seemed scientific, even clinical, as it was chasing a tying goal.  There was no passion.  Meanwhile, I also watched Montreal search for a tying goal against LA, and the Canadiens were almost frantic.  A similar story played out in Toronto, where the Flames and Leaves were tied late.  That one looked like a Game Seven--both teams were on fire.  What is up with these 2022-23 Sabres and why does it look like they have no passion or desperation?

When Pittsburgh shot at our gates three times in a row and scored the first goal, I was also in shock.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Sidc3000 said:

IMO they got so use to the cute quick passes, that resulted in goals, in the past few games they thought they could do it against a perennial playoff team. Several times last night, even in the last 10 mins of the game, they were trying the across ice passes instead of taking the shot. Not surprising the passes consistently got broken up. 

tage also has to learn to get free when being double teamed. He will now be constantly taken out of plays if he doesn’t learn that. 

I can never enjoy 7 8 9 or more goal outbursts... There's always a price to be paid. Also feline AIDS is the biggest killer of domestic housecats.

58 minutes ago, Eleven said:

You know the answer.

57 minutes ago, Eleven said:

The Sabres simply don't have enough margin of error to absorb the loss of a critical player like Skinner. The roster is still in the building and developing stage. As it stands the roster simply isn't good enough and mature enough to handle teams that are better and more mature. It's better than what it was but it hasn't reached the tipping point where it can make up for most setbacks. 

Just now, JohnC said:

The Sabres simply don't have enough margin of error to absorb the loss of a critical player like Skinner. The roster is still in the building and developing stage. As it stands the roster simply isn't good enough and mature enough to handle teams that are better and more mature. It's better than what it was but it hasn't reached the tipping point where it can make up for most setbacks. 

What I'm talking about isn't a skill issue, though.  It's an attitude that was missing last night.  (It was there on Friday night, though.)

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Eleven said:

What I'm talking about isn't a skill issue, though.  It's an attitude that was missing last night.  (It was there on Friday night, though.)

Pittsburgh was simply the better team. They have a more complete and mature roster, top to bottom. Skinner not playing had an affect on two lines and the PP. This team isn't deep enough to absorb such a setback. It's not an issue of toughness, and it's not an issue of willingness to fight. Our roster is evolving and developing. We just are not there yet. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

What is up with these 2022-23 Sabres and why does it look like they have no passion or desperation?

DG rarely shows any passion or desperation… even during the eight game skid… Why would we expect his team to be different??… No killer instinct produces no finish and often exasperating heartbreak… Most here chalk it up to the roster and growing pains… I chalk it up to coaching and messaging… Most likely a combination of both

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sidc3000 said:

tage also has to learn to get free when being double teamed.  He will now be constantly taken out of plays if he doesn’t learn that. 

Double teamed?   Hockey defense is a typically zone, not man to man.   If a forward enters the offensive zone on their off wing the defense typically does not cross over with them.  If Tage is double teamed, or shadowed, then at least one player is all alone.  Find that player.  

I think what you saw last night was Mitts taking himself out of the play, something he seems to do, allowing more players to be near 72.  Last night he skated into the corner a lot, the opposite of Skinner who likes to be where the goals are around the net.  

Not sure if anyone noticed but our guys seem to be having fun. The smiling and joking on the bench whether we’re ahead or behind. Now have a look at the bench of our opponents. Its serious and determined to a man while the game is being played. Maybe this belongs in the winning matters thread but its something I’ve picked up watching our games. These guys should be competitive enough that they absolutely hate losing. I’m not sure they do.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Believer said:

DG rarely shows any passion or desperation… even during the eight game skid… Why would we expect his team to be different??… No killer instinct produces no finish and often exasperating heartbreak… Most here chalk it up to the roster and growing pains… I chalk it up to coaching and messaging… Most likely a combination of both

Disagree.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

Not sure if anyone noticed but our guys seem to be having fun. The smiling and joking on the bench whether we’re ahead or behind. Now have a look at the bench of our opponents. Its serious and determined to a man while the game is being played. Maybe this belongs in the winning matters thread but its something I’ve picked up watching our games. These guys should be competitive enough that they absolutely hate losing. I’m not sure they do.

Young players have fun on the bench & on the ice.  Is what it is.

The '81 Eulers were literally singing on the bench the whole series as the 14th seeded boys from Alberta were knocking the serious 3rd seeded Habs out of the playoffs in a best if 3.

Don't see it as much a "they don't hate losing enough" thing as it is a "they don't have enough talent yet to overcome major adversity" thing.  Maturing & bringing in a few judicial pieces would fix that.  MHO, YMMV.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

I caught Krebs doing it last night in the third. It almost looked like Quinn was trying to shy away from it.

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

I don't.  Coaching maybe?

1:51 left offensive zone faceoff down a goal, you pull the goalie. Every coach every league. DG didn't. Why?

Can you connect the dots between that coaching decision and the lack of desperation you rightly point out?

28 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

1:51 left offensive zone faceoff down a goal, you pull the goalie. Every coach every league. DG didn't. Why?

A similar problem Friday night, with the late power play.  Pull the goalie!

My evaluation of Granato is incomplete, but he isn’t getting an A.

Edited by Eleven

5 hours ago, Eleven said:

Skill development is ingrained as the priority over doing “anything necessary” to win, for this season. It could factor in - we may see a cold leaning towards the science rather than the emotion, and “frenetic”ness you are referring to, that probably comes from the idea of doing “whatever is necessary” to win. I think they are consciously being told to focus less on the end result and more on the process. It’s just a theory, but they do talk about the process a lot 

Edited by Thorny

4 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

It’s a maturity thing. As many good things the coach is doing to build skills and confidence, I think some of it is counter productive to eventually teaching them the desperation and discipline.  Where the line needs to be drawn is the multi million dollar question. 

This seems accurate. Process vs results, and when the priority should shift from the former to the latter, is indeed the tricky part

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.