Sabres defense 6-7-8 spots

LabattBlue

When all are healthy, the top 5 of Dahlin, Samuelsson, Power, Joker & Lybushkin are solid.  The problem is the #6 spot, and when injuries hit the 7 & 8 spots. 

Bryson, Fitz & Pilut are pretty much the same guy…on the small side, none very physical, and liabilities in their own end.

This leads to… I know it was only a handful of games, but the eye test says that Clague looked better than any of the three listed above.  

Why not give him another look, or make a trade to improve the 6-7-8 spot.  The goal scoring barrage is going to slow down, and the deficiencies at defense and goaltending will haunt them.  

What say you Kevyn Adams?

Edited by LabattBlue

Just now, LabattBlue said:

When all are healthy, the top 5 of Dahlin, Samuelsson, Power, Joker & Lybushkin are solid.  The problem is the #6 spot, and when injuries hit the 7 & 8 spots. 

Bryson, Fitz & Pilut are pretty much the same guy…on the small side, none very physical, and liabilities in their own end.

This leads to… I know it was only a handful of games, but the eye test says that Clague looked better than any of the three listed above.  

Why not give him another look, or make a trade to improve the 6-7-8 spot.  The goal scoring barrage is going to slow down, and the deficiencies at defense and goaltending will haunt them.  

IIRC, the advanced stats reflected that Clague might work the best with Lyubushkin out of our 6-9 D.

4 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Clague has the best CF% on the team, FWIW

I'm with Fitz over Clague (not that it's a big difference choosing between two D students), but really, the team needs better depth defensemen.  We don't need to re-watch 2006 when the team is really ready to make a run.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 2

I'd say the top 4 are solid for the future. Lyubushkin has a two year deal and needs to get healthy. But we have nothing at 6 and beyond. L has to get healthy - he is on IR. When he gets back that could really help some. But Bryson is a liability. 

We need more upgrades there (two). But do have 1 or 2 players in the pipeline down the road (like, Komarov). 

Bryson has been back for 2 games 

the last 5 even strength goals scored against the Sabres either Bryson or Pilut have been on the ice for all of them  

This has to be resolved   The Sabres will be lucky to be in the playoff race by Jan 1st if another Dman isn’t brought in immediately 

for those that think that It’s more the goaltending than the d   Bryson is a Minus 15 - all 3 Sabres goalies have struggled with him on the ice

Not to mention the Sabres have given up 60 even strength goals   Not sure where to find this but I’m thinking that Bryson has been on the ice for at least 20 of them    For a guy that missed games, plays limited minutes and gets to olay against opponents bottom lines (especially at home) this needs to be addressed   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

The problem is the #6 spot, and when injuries hit the 7 & 8 spots.

No, the problem is when multiple top 4 guys go down and you have to replace them with 7 & 8.

Although I do agree that Clague played pretty well and might be a better #7 than Fitz or Pilut.

15 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Which then begs the question, why hire this extensive analytics staff, if the coaching staff is not going use them to their advantage?

A few points;

1) If the analytics staff is only working with the numbers everyone has access to, you have huge problems.
2) As with any business organization, the head of said organization takes input from all departments and weighs their recommendations against what’s best for an organization. Just because it might not make sense to us, it doesn’t mean they are ignoring the analytics staff.

3) If there was one formula to building a team, you wouldn’t need any staff, just a premium subscription to evolving hockey.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, tom webster said:

A few points;

1) If the analytics staff is only working with the numbers everyone has access to, you have huge problems.
2) As with any business organization, the head of said organization takes input from all departments and weighs their recommendations against what’s best for an organization. Just because it might not make sense to us, it doesn’t mean they are ignoring the analytics staff.

3) If there was one formula to building a team, you wouldn’t need any staff, just a premium subscription to evolving hockey.

I wish it was that easy for me to put a positive spin on the play of three guys who are terrible(Bryson, Pilut & Fitz) versus one who looks to be better in Clague. 

Your efforts are to be commended. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.