Do we like Dan yet?

PASabreFan

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

I watched the Toronto/Philly game yesterday. I thought that the TO PBP guy talked while play was going way more than Dan. He also never said score or goal on the one that I saw.

Back in the days before I could choose between home and away, I found the Leafs announcers to be pretty much the least educated of all the broadcast teams. They'd spout off years old tropes about the Sabres that were long incorrect.

I chalked it up to them thinking they're the centre of the hockey universe and they didn't have to try. Some of the smaller southern markets on the other hand often had real insight and would actually do their homework going into the games... Maybe because they had to.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/9/2022 at 6:15 AM, LGR4GM said:

I don't mind Dan. He's fine and occasionally good. 

He needs to improve his ability to say who has the puck and who scores. It's a major flaw. 

and for those listening on the radio he needs to tell us where the puck is.  He is very bad at this aspect and i can't follow the game on the radio.  The lines and circles on the ice help, he should use them.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

and for those listening on the radio he needs to say tell us where the puck is.  He is very bad at this aspect and i can't follow the game on the radio.  The lines and circles on the ice help, he should use them.  

There are more viewers on tv than there are listeners on the radio. This isn’t Dan, this is a business decision by the organization.
The Sabres are the only NHL team that simulcasts. I defend the Pegulas a lot, but this is indefensible.  

He's not good, but then again we've been spoiled for 50 years with RJ.

1 hour ago, sabills said:

I'm still not over the Van Miller to John Murphy switch, so I think it'll be a while before I can truly accept Dan. Nothing personal.

Van was the best. 

• Like (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...

Because I can no longer choose commentary team (UK NHL rights are exclusively broadcast by viaplay not nhl.tv) I have to listen home teams only. Dan is far from thw worst. I think he just tries too hard not to show sabres bias. I realise it's probably razors job to the homer, so I am not expecting change. But like the team, I think he will improve with experience. Its terrible to follow without video though.

Edited by steveoath
  • Like (+1) 2

He might be getting a little better at saying the goal scorer relatively quickly following a goal being scored. He's the guy going forward so I am forced to accept it. He's much better than Jack "I replay my goal calls as I fondle myself" Edwards

Edited by Stads

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.