Thoughts on Thompson's & Mittelstadt's Development

Taro T

I'm good with Mitts playing out this year and then MAYBE even next year...unless the Sabres staff (who knows a lot more than any of us here) see he has plateaued or even regressed in aspects of his game we can't see.  HOWEVER, something has to change with him, especially even strength.  Its both the stats and the eye test, the line he is on seems to be really, really struggling the past few weeks.

I generally support Mitts more than many on this board.....but in the last 5 games...no goals, no assists and a -7 is not acceptable in any way.  In the 10 games previous to that (when the Sabres were going through injuries on the back end), he had 4 goals and 6 points in 10 games.  What happened in the last couple weeks (5 games) where you go from scoring almost every other game to being invisible in every way?

Edited by mjd1001

4 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I'm good with Mitts playing out this year and then MAYBE even next year...unless the Sabres staff (who knows a lot more than any of us here) see he has plateaued or even regressed in aspects of his game we can't see.  HOWEVER, something has to change with him, especially even strength.  Its both the stats and the eye test, the line he is on seems to be really, really struggling the past few weeks.

I generally support Mitts more than many on this board.....but in the last 5 games...no goals, no assists and a -7 is not acceptable in any way.  In the 10 games previous to that (when the Sabres were going through injuries on the back end), he had 4 goals and 6 points in 10 games.  What happened in the last couple weeks (5 games) where you go from scoring almost every other game to being invisible in every way?

Other than his line getting demoted to the 4th line, not sure.  Great question though.

22 minutes ago, Taro T said:

He has come a seriously long way from where he was at.  And he does have skills that are still effective on the PP.  He's also (sadly, as he's just OK at it) their best faceoff man at present.  Work on receiving that outlet pass & work on finding space.  If he gets those down (& Granato & the rest must believe he can), still believe he could absolutely be a high end 3C and maybe even a good 2C.

Granato has also talked up his work ethic & leadership.  Realize many here don't agree he has either, but Granato seems disinclined to lie.  (Yes, he puts a rosy spin on things, but he doesn't outright lie.) So, if he says those are 2 of Mitts positive traits, will believe him.  He's 24 now.  This is the season he has to figure it out.  Do agree w/ those that see him getting moved if he doesn't get it to come together soon; there's some good talent that'll be ready to move up soon, if he isn't better than them, he'll be out.

And guess the point of this novella is yes Mitts has stuff to work on, but believe could improve in those areas.  Thompson made it happen.  His issues were more strength related & being deployed improperly whereas Mitts are still getting taught things he should've learned earlier (some of which he has learned since going pro) but Tage had to learn when & where the toe drag works vs just going for the 1 timer / quick shot.  You can teach giys new tricks.  Thoughts?

I don't because I don't think he will ever have the game processing ability to do that. He reminds me of risto where there are flashes of the raw underlying skill but the processing ability to put that all together does not exist. He is the opposite of Quinn who manipulates space and finds open space to be a good option for his teammates. 

That said your central premise seems to be something along the lines of Tage did it so maybe Mitts can too and my answer is no. Tage like Josh Allen is an exception. A strange Unicorn who bucked trends and found ways to improve and become very good. Mitts is going to be the rule, he is going to be the former 1st round pick who couldn't adapt his skills to the NHL and will be a bottom 6 guy that bounces around a bit before either finding a home or washing out. I wanted Mitts to work but I don't see him mentally understanding the game at a level needed to make his skillset truly shine and I am not prepared to insulate him with better players so he can be useful here. Trade him for defense help and then let Östlund, Savoie, Kulich or someone else slide into that role over the next couple years. We can find a 3c in UFA to plug that gap until then. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Also one of our best at faceoffs still I guess.

I cannot tell you how much I don't care about his ability to win 5.5 draws out of 10 compared to some other dudes 4.8 draws out of 10. It is just not relevant to how I evaluate him at all. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

FTR I would move Olofsson before I move Mitts if there were options. I think Mitts could be an okayish winger on the 3rd or 4th line. 

I'd still keep Olofsson. Until there is a clear replacement on the roster, and that young replacement is proven, I'll keep a very streaky but very good PP guy around.  I currently think his current goal-less streak is more a factor of how bad his line overall is playing.  He isnt not a great 2 way player, but again, unless I'm getting a useful player or a 1st rounder back I keep him until some young guy forces him out.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I cannot tell you how much I don't care about his ability to win 5.5 draws out of 10 compared to some other dudes 4.8 draws out of 10. It is just not relevant to how I evaluate him at all. 

I agree with that. 

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

A big factor in both of their developments is age, while not a big difference it is a factor I think, and conditioning (maybe not the right word, but Casey's injuries have set him back).

I think that they learn things in different way, but one thing for sure is RaKru set them both back in their development and may have actually turned their development backwards.  I think DG had to spend condsiderable time undoing what had been done by RaKru.

Tage has been released by DG and has blossomed.  Casey still has a good chance to become a good 3rd line winger.  I think DG will move him there officially when some of the younger centres develop a bit more.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't because I don't think he will ever have the game processing ability to do that. He reminds me of risto where there are flashes of the raw underlying skill but the processing ability to put that all together does not exist. He is the opposite of Quinn who manipulates space and finds open space to be a good option for his teammates. 

That said your central premise seems to be something along the lines of Tage did it so maybe Mitts can too and my answer is no. Tage like Josh Allen is an exception. A strange Unicorn who bucked trends and found ways to improve and become very good. Mitts is going to be the rule, he is going to be the former 1st round pick who couldn't adapt his skills to the NHL and will be a bottom 6 guy that bounces around a bit before either finding a home or washing out. I wanted Mitts to work but I don't see him mentally understanding the game at a level needed to make his skillset truly shine and I am not prepared to insulate him with better players so he can be useful here. Trade him for defense help and then let Östlund, Savoie, Kulich or someone else slide into that role over the next couple years. We can find a 3c in UFA to plug that gap until then. 

It's possible that he doesn't process hockey well enough, but don't expect it is.  Expect it's more of a case of those who said he should've gone to junior rather than stay loyal to his HS were right that staying in HS would hurt his development.  It did, he did not learn a lot of the things you only find out when you're being challenged by tougher competition.  When he 1st came here, he was flat out horrible in his own end.  Would joke to wifey that he looked like a golden Labrador puppy trying to figure out where ball was when the puck was in his own end and that was from never really having faced opponents regularly that he had to understand where to be to make the defensive system work.  But he got much better at that.  He gets where he needs to be & pretty much stays in that area.  Your buddy Risto never could figure that out.  A cycle was his kryptonite.  Get him & Eichel together against a good cycle & they were toast.

And he also was taught to avoid going into the phone booth.  He doesn't do that anymore - ever.  Thing is, he's ready to get taught how to find & utilize open space.  Maybe he can't learn that.  Expect he can, but believe there's a real possibility that w/ limited time the coaching staff see spending time w/ the other young guys as better utilization of their time as the Cozterkinn line all has 1st line upside (not saying they necessarily will be that, but it is still each one's ceiling) & Mitts doesn't.

And, no, you missed the premise.  Will try to expound on it more later, but have already wasted way too much time today on the subject.  (Not trying to be dismissive; have a day job and really have been here way too long today.)

• Like (+1) 1

I think Casey needs a change of scenery.  Find another teams Jost or Mitts and swap them out. The league is full of high draft picks that don’t live up to their draft position hype.  I’d take another teams Girgensons to shore up the bottom six. Ceiling may be lower than Casey’s but at least you have a player you can ice without getting caved. 

• Like (+1) 1

The major thing for Thompson that I always come back to is that there are tangible physical reasons for why he may have taken a while to break out.

At ages 17-19 when most young hockey players are finished growing and really start to build strength/coordination, Thompson grew 6” in like 18 months.  That’s a lot of added length to add strength onto.

I think it delayed his development by a couple years.

Basically, Tage is a unicorn and you just can’t compare regular horses to him.

Edited by Curt
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

It's possible that he doesn't process hockey well enough, but don't expect it is.  Expect it's more of a case of those who said he should've gone to junior rather than stay loyal to his HS were right that staying in HS would hurt his development.  It did, he did not learn a lot of the things you only find out when you're being challenged by tougher competition.  When he 1st came here, he was flat out horrible in his own end.  Would joke to wifey that he looked like a golden Labrador puppy trying to figure out where ball was when the puck was in his own end and that was from never really having faced opponents regularly that he had to understand where to be to make the defensive system work.  But he got much better at that.  He gets where he needs to be & pretty much stays in that area.  Your buddy Risto never could figure that out.  A cycle was his kryptonite.  Get him & Eichel together against a good cycle & they were toast.

And he also was taught to avoid going into the phone booth.  He doesn't do that anymore - ever.  Thing is, he's ready to get taught how to find & utilize open space.  Maybe he can't learn that.  Expect he can, but believe there's a real possibility that w/ limited time the coaching staff see spending time w/ the other young guys as better utilization of their time as the Cozterkinn line all has 1st line upside (not saying they necessarily will be that, but it is still each one's ceiling) & Mitts doesn't.

And, no, you missed the premise.  Will try to expound on it more later, but have already wasted way too much time today on the subject.  (Not trying to be dismissive; have a day job and really have been here way too long today.)

What I notice about Casey is that he just doesn’t know what to do with the puck. He either puts it in an area where the opposing team has the advantage or he just skates the puck into no man’s land.  He’s good (not great) on the PP because there are defined limitations.  He doesn’t need to think much. Get puck, move puck.  

This is the witching hour for Adams. He’s frustratingly patient and it has worked in spades with Tage, Dahlin, Cozens, Samuelsson.  With the teams offense where it is, two or 3 player additions could vault this team into contender status.  We have loads of high end talent at forward.  We need to round out the D, get another bottom six player to support 28,21,17,74, and FFS get a goalie under 40 who doesn’t give up 4 goals a game. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I don't think Mittelstadt is developing and I'd trade him in a second.

Neither do I.  And its a pattern that has gone on for 3 seasons, extenuating circumstances be damned.

What ever it is that is missing from his game that would translate his obvious skills to the NHL does not appear to be developing at all.  Its past time to call this an organizational hole and fill it with another player.

Mitts might and probably will improve but he’s not going to undergo development like Tage and I fear, like Allen (who actually doesn’t even compare to Tage for the unlikelihood of rise) that one player like Tage going through a truly unprecedented swing and rise to prominence will have people thinking it’ll happen with other players failing to establish. 

Most times, the players don’t. Sometimes they do, though, and Tage is a good lesson to not give up too early.  But players don’t rocket like he did: that’s a Tage thing 

He’s an insane exception to the standard. A truly odds-defying case. If that sort of development is projected onto other players, the uniqueness of it isn’t being appreciated enough. 

I understand the OP mentioned Mitts as a potential 3C still, and that is still possible. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

Mitts is a wing if anything 

I was on that track from the start 

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

I'd still keep Olofsson. Until there is a clear replacement on the roster, and that young replacement is proven, I'll keep a very streaky but very good PP guy around.  I currently think his current goal-less streak is more a factor of how bad his line overall is playing.  He isn not a great 2 way player, but again, unless I'm getting a useful player or a 1st rounder back I keep him until some young guy forces him out.

I agree with that. 

Agree. VO also generally tallies more assists than we’ve seen this year so far 

Thompsons development has been other worldy. It's because Jack is off the team. He got all of Jack's ice time. He was a skill player from the beginning those are guys that need the proper ice time (see Clarke MacArthur getting way better with the Leafs) 

Granato realized this and immediately undid everything that was done so blatantly wrong. That's why we're seeing Skinner and Tuch doing as well as ever before 

Tage seems like the complete opposite of Jack in terms or personality regarding leadership and selflessness hence the absurd development he has undertaken 

Casey Mittlestat is worthless to me he's another Matt Ellis or Remi Elie type 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.