Tage Thompson is a super star

Buffalonill

8 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Anderson has been pretty good this year...statistically and analytically for this team, so I don't agree with that...although he likely can't play more than 25 games.

Ya with Anderson it’s an availability thing. But it still comes to the same issue 

A guy with his size and skill is a very rare thing. His shot is absolutely lethal. I was a bit concerned last year would prove to be an anomaly and he'd struggle to build on such a meteoric rise, but he's actually gotten better. Who knows what his ceiling is, but it's waaaaaay higher than anyone imagined. KA may have got himself a steal with that contract.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

I don’t want to gatekeep but this is a Sabres forum not a school playground. 

Eh.  Embrace Ignore.  Ignore is your friend.

I've ignored a lot of people on this forum.  Most of them I eventually take off Ignore but there are a few that are still there. 

Once I have someone on Ignore, I still might peek at their posts, but because they're on ignore I kind of prepare myself and I either go, "yep, still ignore" and move on, or I decide that even though the particular poster rubs me the wrong I way I still want to engage with them.  If I have the latter reaction (which happens with most posters eventually) I take them off ignore.

It's kind of like I quarantine them until I can build up an immunity to their unique PainInTheAssness.

5 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I've ignored a lot of people on this forum.  Most of them I eventually take off Ignore but there are a few that are still there. 

Once I have someone on Ignore, I still might peek at their posts, but because they're on ignore I kind of prepare myself and I either go, "yep, still ignore" and move on, or I decide that even though the particular poster rubs me the wrong I way I still want to engage with them.  If I have the latter reaction (which happens with most posters eventually) I take them off ignore.

It's kind of like I quarantine them until I can build up an immunity to their unique PainInTheAssness.

Can you hear me now ??

• Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but in the past the ignore feature only worked for original posts by the poster one has on ignore.  If the ignored poster is quoted you will get that post with the quoted ignored poster's post embedded.

Is that not the case now ??

Of course, you won't be able to answer this if you have me on ignore.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JustOneParade said:

I wonder if the video clip of Tage breaking that guy with his slap shot a few games back made the rounds within the league. Seems no one has tried to block one of his shots since. Self preservation is a mighty influence on one's decision making, I suppose.

Oh, in the Red Wings game?  Mo Seider I think it was.

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Dahlin and Tage should be there no doubt.  When do they pick the teams?  

Maybe even Cozens.  A bit more of a long shot but he's playing very well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Weirdly Marek went on a rant today to start his show, about how Sabres fans should be livid that Granato so limited Tage’s ice time in the third because he had a shot at tying the record.

Save for the last game when he's 4 goals behind McDavid, McDavid scores a hattie, and Tage scores 8 to beat him out and set the single game record.  😉

6 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Oh, in the Red Wings game?  Mo Seider I think it was.

Cozens centers one of the more exciting lines in the league right now. The fact that his game has gone to a different level on a line with two rookies says a lot about him. Says a lot about Jack and JJ, too.

Edited by HumanSlinky39
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I thought the deal was premature, because he looked like a possible one year wonder. I’m so glad I was wrong.  Tage has taken his game to another level.  He is arguably among the top 10 centers in the NHL.  His long-term deal looks like a steal now. 

He’s still a one year wonder in that it’s a wonder he’s only getting paid $1.6m for this year!😄

9 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but in the past the ignore feature only worked for original posts by the poster one has on ignore.  If the ignored poster is quoted you will get that post with the quoted ignored poster's post embedded.

Is that not the case now ??

Of course, you won't be able to answer this if you have me on ignore.

Correct. You’ll still see quoted posts. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Weirdly Marek went on a rant today to start his show, about how Sabres fans should be livid that Granato so limited Tage’s ice time in the third because he had a shot at tying the record.

Honsstly, this didn’t cross my mind at all, seems kinda irrelevant and I don’t think it would rub the players the wrong way. Admittedly, I can’t go in the GDTs so I may have missed discussion on it yesterday. Seemed a nothingburger to me, though. Did this come up at all?

- - - 

Another tidbit on the show I really found telling was that analyst Mike Rupp was on and he says he can basically judge whether a team is a “contender” based on looking at purely the 3rd line. I liked that and think it makes sense: our team for example, starting to look much better, but the traditional 3rd line is still a massive weak spot. Perhaps once that line resolved itself or rather, we resolve it, we’d take a further step. 

I noted that Tage didn't play much in the 3rd.  I don't know, is there a benefit of sending him out there to snipe and maybe pile up goals for a record?  Maybe he gets 6 and has the all-time Sabres record?   Maybe 7 and ties the all time NHL record.  I am not big on that stuff, but ok. I prefer that he gets a few more against Pittsburgh tomorrow and we win another game.  

DG gave more ice time to the bottom 6 forwards and the bottom 2 defense, and it reflected in the score, we lost the 3rd period 2-0, but we were just running clock down by then.  

I don't like the 3rd period of blowouts.  The old days it was a lot of fighting, which was fun for me.  Today it is just running through the motions, trying to keep a level head, and close it out.  We got to see Krebs get some valuable ice time with KO and ZG.  We got to see that Pilut is not even a good NHL 7.   We got to see Mitts and VO flail around in the defensive zone.  

As for Rupp's 3rd line theory, I guess it can make sense.  Our 3rd line (Mitts-Jost-VO) plays like a 3rd line on a bottom feeding lottery pick team.    But our first 2 lines are carrying us into the upper echelon of goal scoring in the league.  This led to a conversation by Tochett, Anson Carter, and the rest about the Sabres being ready to add more quality vets and to shift some focus to defense to make a playoff run.  Panger mentioned our drought several times and was adamant that they could contend with a few key additions.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Yes, depends on how many Sabres they can take.  No more pick one obligatory Sabre!  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

From a statistical standpoint in regards to TT, has there been a better start to a season by a player since Mogilny & Lafontaine were wearing the Blue & Gold?

Not really. 

Eichel had 51 through 36 games in 19-20, so a 116 point pace

Thompson has 40 through 26, so a 126 point pace 

16 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I thought the deal was premature, because he looked like a possible one year wonder. I’m so glad I was wrong.  Tage has taken his game to another level.  He is arguably among the top 10 centers in the NHL.  His long-term deal looks like a steal now. 

That long term deal is one of the best decisions the Buffalo management has made in many years. 

And the beauty is he is playing great in the first year. A lot of times an athlete will have a great season, sign a big deal, and his play and production tapers off (in every sport one sees this; in baseball, football, basketball, etc.). But Thompson is playing even better this year than last! Got to give great respect for that. 

4 hours ago, sabresparaavida said:

So why are you against saying TNT is a superstar? If you dont care about individual accomplishments, then that shouldnt matter. 

because Im sick of getting excited for having "SuPerStaRs" and nothing comes out of it. Same thing with Eichel. The team gets off the hook for being mediocre at best.

12 minutes ago, HeftyLefty said:

because Im sick of getting excited for having "SuPerStaRs" and nothing comes out of it. Same thing with Eichel. The team gets off the hook for being mediocre at best.

Unlike when Eichel became “Eichel” once he came off his elc and became a point-a-game guy +, we actually have a legitimate NHL 2C behind our 1C this time. Heck, we seem to have a *good* line behind Thompson, full stop. 

It took them way too long, but they’ve clearly finally realized you need to build depth of scoring behind your superstar and not rely on one star scorer - the fact they weren’t planning on Tage being a star, unlike with Eichel, ironically definitely aided the process.

and that we actually traded the guy who would have been 2C we needed behind Jack, and that we were “rewarded” with a return that actually became a 1C, but only after they seemingly realized they “needed” to do it WITHOUT a star (ie build good depth) is just good writing honestly 

what a yarn 

The star C, that we gutted the roster to attain the first time, came to us this time by chance, but only after committing to a proper, build depth process. 

Its funny. It’s well-written

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2