Is WGR doing a disservice to the Sabres?

inkman

I love Sabres talk but I have given up trying WGR radio when I'm out driving.  It doesn't seem to matter what time of year (Sabres get little coverage).  Better chance to try one of the Toronto stations to get some NHL hockey talk (although generally Leafs centric which at times is delusional).

• Agree 1

Tuned in this morning to WGR because usually during the 7am hour there is some Sabres coverage. Coming out of a break they did the radio call of the Tage goals, mentioned he was awesome, then immediately moved on to talk about Vonn Miller. The guy is gone for the rest of the season, there's nothing to talk about there. I turned it off after 3minutes because there were only so many ways they can say Miller being out impacts the Bills. 

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Tuned in this morning to WGR because usually during the 7am hour there is some Sabres coverage. Coming out of a break they did the radio call of the Tage goals, mentioned he was awesome, then immediately moved on to talk about Vonn Miller. The guy is gone for the rest of the season, there's nothing to talk about there. I turned it off after 3minutes because there were only so many ways they can say Miller being out impacts the Bills. 

This is consistent with my experience this morning...but I kind of expected them to go on and on about Miller.

WGR's radio broadcast of Dan Dunlevy is a disgrace. He is totally awful as a play by play. No one in the organization knows this? Or they don't care. 

I love the WGR pre-game show, but I can only listen when I'm driving. I try getting it on the computer but it just goes to some random radio show. Just bull. 

The team should announce an open competition to anyone that thinks they can do play by play. Narrow it down to maybe ten people that sound decent, then give the fans a chance to vote and pick the best person. The person doesn't have a communications degree? So what. 

Also, ditch Rob Ray for Marty on color 

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I will say that Marty and Duffer are fantastic. Duffer isn't a slouch and knows not only Buffalo but most of the league. Marty is great because of his personality and knowledge, they play off eachother wonderfully. 

Agreed. But they are kind of put in a straight jacket for the pre-game show as its usually about non-hockey stuff...and lots of commercials 

39 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

WGR's radio broadcast of Dan Dunlevy is a disgrace. He is totally awful as a play by play. No one in the organization knows this? Or they don't care. 

I love the WGR pre-game show, but I can only listen when I'm driving. I try getting it on the computer but it just goes to some random radio show. Just bull. 

The team should announce an open competition to anyone that thinks they can do play by play. Narrow it down to maybe ten people that sound decent, then give the fans a chance to vote and pick the best person. The person doesn't have a communications degree? So what. 

I don't mind Dunlevy. It took a few games (months) to get used to him. He isn't great but he's fine to me.  A disgrace? I have no idea how anyone can say he is a disgrace. he has gotten a little better on the radio with letting you know the Sabres score, and the rest of the time he tells me what is going on and doesn't make many mistakes.  I don't need/want much more 'personality' from my play by play guy.  Ray...eh, hes ok. Nothing great but I can deal with him.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I had a similar experience. I'm sure they talked about the Sabres at some time, but I had to go to the office this morning...got in the car and turned on WGR.  Did the update and mentioned the Sabres, but when they started talking they talked about the Bills and Von Miller again.  Got out of the car and back in....they were talking something about the 'los angeles raiders' and how ice cube is a big fan?  Not sure I changed it pretty quickly.  After my last stop I got back in, and they had a guest on talking about football again.

So maybe I just missed the Sabres segments, but you would think after the night Tage had, All three of the random times I tuned it wouldn't be the same story about the bills we have heard for a couple days now and then some random segement about who-knows-what concerning the NFL.

I have said this over and over the last few months....The Bills are better and obviously are a bigger story becasue of their national attention, but in terms of topics to talk about and how much FUN the games can be week to week, the Sabres might be a better talking point.  Just apparently because of the success of the Bills more people want to talk about them, but the Sabres to me are a LOT more interesting.  I visit both message boards and this year I have had a lot more things to say about the Sabres than the Bills, a lot more fun reading other posts, and even a lot more arguments (which aren't always bad) here than I have at the Bills board.

Edited by mjd1001

26 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I don't mind Dunlevy. It took a few games (months) to get used to him. He isn't great but he's fine to me.  A disgrace? I have no idea how anyone can say he is a disgrace. he has gotten a little better on the radio with letting you know the Sabres score, and the rest of the time he tells me what is going on and doesn't make many mistakes.  I don't need/want much more 'personality' from my play by play guy.  Ray...eh, hes ok. Nothing great but I can deal with him.

I was only referring to radio broadcast which is basically incoherent. 

I can't stand Ray 

I tend to listen to the morning show most days, and to me it seems when they have something to talk about with the Sabres (for example on a morning like today) they will, especially if it's positive.  I think everyone over there is kind of burned out (or maybe recognizes that the audience is burned out, rightfully so) on negative talk about the Sabres, so during a losing streak, or after blowing a lead, they'll mention it and move on.  As a Bills and Sabres fan, I'm ok with the ratio right now.

2 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

This stuff isn't in WGR's control.

7 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

All that would accomplish is changing the names of the people grousing about the PBP guy.

.. or not.

On 12/7/2022 at 12:06 PM, inkman said:

I realize NFL and the Bills are king in Buffalo.  I just think with the team struggling to get butts in the seats, there would be a push to promote the aforementioned things rather than dedicating hours upon hours to OBJ watch.

You’d think Pegula Sports Enterprises would lean on WGR for more Sabres content

• Like (+1) 4

It amazes me on my trips to Buffalo how many local sports fans there do not know that the Sabres are loaded with talent, and do not know how good Tage and Dahlin are.   Chalk it up to 10+ years of no playoffs that coincide with the Bills building a powerhouse team filled with very likeable players and coaches.  The Sabres news has been a revolving door in the FO, continuous firings and restructure, Jack Eichel drama, and constant losing.   

The Bills are now in the National spotlight, and they have an NFL Super Star in Josh Allen, and Josh has the personality and charisma to win over all kinds of fans.  They are a legit Super Bowl contender.  They have the steady, stable, and smart tandem of McDermott and Beane running things.  They have many excellent players that "want to be here".  

The Sabres get less coverage because they have deserved less coverage.  I was listening to WGR on Audacy yesterday and Bulldog said he didn't have much info on the last Sabres - Av's game because the Bills played that same day.  He said he thought Mckinnon had 4-points last game and he would be out for this game.  They both did not have much to say compared to Bills talk.  

The Bills are the priority, especially this year with expectations so high.  This will start to even out as the Sabres become a contender again. Let see the Sabres make the playoffs this year, following the Bills Super Bowl win.     

The Sabres have to appeal to the younger fans.   Young professionals, families with kids, they will come back when they see high character guys like Thompson, Dahlin and Cozens lead us back to a winning organization.  

WGR has always stunk

I called them in 2010 after the Sabres blew that series against the Bruins with that too many men penalty 

I said Ruff should be fired and gave reasons why and that Brian Kozial guy was the one who took the call. He was so mad that he hung up on me LOL 

Some dude named Blue Lightning called in after me that was the funniest call in I had ever heard 

Kozial was in tears it was hilarious 

2 hours ago, Goldseatsaud said:

On my way to Henrietta today all bills talk. Sabres just beat the the Stanley cup champs. I know there is a game on Saturday but come on really. 

Agreed.  I don't expect them to talk MORE sabres than the Bills, but how about a little more balance.  

As others have said, they pick the top 2-3 stories about the Bills and just hammer them over and over and over, then they have guest after guest talking about the Bills (and a lot more talkign about NFL gambling).  Again, how about mixing a little more Sabres talk in after a game?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.