Are the Sabres out of the running for the playoffs?

inkman

Are the Sabres out of the playoff race?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Are the Sabres out of the playoff race

• Yes
    • No

8 hours ago, Brawndo said:

It's all just exercises in math that ultimately don't mean a thing (we still need to win, they need to lose).

But when he says we need 41 points in our next 35 games for an even chance, that doesn't seem too daunting at all.

We've played 2 points behind that pace over our past 35 and well above it for our past 25.

On 1/25/2023 at 9:37 PM, Doohickie said:

Isles lose to Ottawa in regulation.

I'm shocked to learn that the Lamoriello way of old and slow shutdown isn't working, shocked. 

53 minutes ago, Sabres73 said:

So today, if we win and the Penguins lose to the Sharks in regulation, guess where we're sittin'?

Is the first tiebreaker regulation wins?

6 hours ago, Sabres73 said:

So today, if we win and the Penguins lose to the Sharks in regulation, guess where we're sittin'?

Technically, we're already ahead of the Caps by points percentage. The Caps are chasin' us.

But yes, it would be pretty slick to get into the All Star Break with a spot in the playoffs in both points in the standings (officially) and by points percentage.

15 minutes ago, Taro T said:

It is.  But if the Sabres win in regulation they're on to the next tiebreaker ROW.

Oh we got those flightless bastsrds there. 

6 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Technically, we're already ahead of the Caps by points percentage. The Caps are chasin' us.

But yes, it would be pretty slick to get into the All Star Break with a spot in the playoffs in both points in the standings (officially) and by points percentage.

Never count games you have played yet. But ik what you mean. 

10 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Agreed. Just going by the COVID shutoff year where they would've picked the 16 playoff teams by percentage points if they hadn't elected for the play-in round.

And technically that is the 1st tie breaker.  But will ignore that one until we're told the season is done & there are teams tied in the standings that don't have the same # of points.

And like you said, that 1st tie breaker supplanted points as being the statistic used to rank teams in '20.

Honestly, I can’t see us staying in the race much longer. I’m sorry.

It seems inevitable- we’ll soon be so solidly in a playoff spot that using the term “race” would feel wildly misplaced. 

7 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I'm shocked to learn that the Lamoriello way of old and slow shutdown isn't working, shocked. 

Is the first tiebreaker regulation wins?

They are all well shaven and clean cut though 

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I think it's head-to-head, then Regulation/OT wins (shootout wins are considered lesser).

It’s regulation wins first then regulation OT

F45D8464-A3B7-4F54-9D1F-17078618D674.thumb.jpeg.fcb5c2e266fa5f3cde84cf92e4972b0d.jpeg

Even “Wins” outright comes before head to head.

Edited by Thorny
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

18 hours ago, Thorny said:

Honestly, I can’t see us staying in the race much longer. I’m sorry.

It seems inevitable- we’ll soon be so solidly in a playoff spot that using the term “race” would feel wildly misplaced. 

They are all well shaven and clean cut though 

So fans of a franchise that has been out of the playoffs for 12 years are taking shots at a highly successful GM whose team is right with us in the standings?

Time will tell if Lou is old news and the Sabres are avant garde.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.