Are the Sabres out of the running for the playoffs?

inkman

Are the Sabres out of the playoff race?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Are the Sabres out of the playoff race

• Yes
    • No

This team is 4-8-1 against teams currently in a playoff spot.  7-5 against everyone else.  

The schedule for the rest of Dec is very hard.  8 of the remaining 11 games are against playoff teams.  If they want to show they have a playoff chance go 7-4 for the rest of this month.  Jan is a little easier 7 of 14 are against current playoff teams.  February is our easiest month with only 4 playoff teams in 10 games, but by that time the team’s fate will be sealed. 

2 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

How many corners does this team get ? Lol

As many as they want... the only question is how many you want to give them.

2 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

I'll wait another 12 years 

Apparently you're willing to give them a lot of corners as well.

3 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Cool...make sure you aren't here for Stanley Cup celebration in between.  We wouldn't want you to piss in the punch bowl.

I'll  Most likely be dead lol.

Thats why with us old generation we're sick of waiting you'll understand when its your turn lol.

Trust me

Edited by Buffalonill

6 hours ago, inkman said:

Are you Canadian?  I feel like there is more conflation about what to call the first overall pick in a draft among Canadians but it could be a small sample size of the Canadians that surround the Sabres org. Paul Hamilton screws this up continuously so it’s not just a Canadian thing. 

Tell Pham that 

I’m convinced you can’t really tell Pham anything. 

12 hours ago, inkman said:

Paul Hamilton has repeatedly mentioned this week on WGR that the Sabres are out of the playoff race due to the losing streak?  Is it even true?  Do they have no realistic chance to make up the ground?  Didn’t the Blues win the cup after being in last place in December?  

They have to play at a .700 pace the rest of the way to reach 98 points. They were playing at .638 before the losing streak. The 8-game slide really put them in a hole.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

They have to play at a .700 pace the rest of the way to reach 98 points. They were playing at .638 before the losing streak. The 8-game slide really put them in a hole.

Unfortunately I think you’re right. Through 25 games, the last team in a playoff spot has 31 points.  So 93 point pace after 75 games.  98 seems like the bare minimum needed to qualify.  It sucks that the eastern is so top heavy.

BTW, the western is at a 84 point pace in the same 75 game envelope-math formula. That would be a lot more attainable.  

Perhaps things in the East will slow down with teams like the Rangers, Panthers, & Caps on the outside looking in season to date. Those teams could steal from the teams above them. Unfortunately, Buffalo is behind everyone I just mentioned. 

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

I don't think they're making the playoffs. We've picked up points against many back up goalies and weaker opponents. Historically we falter in the second half when teams tighten it up and things get more serious. 

I will perhaps rethink this if we win the home and home against Pittsburgh.

It’s totally possible. The Pens have lost three in a row and no Letang.  But I still don’t see how it moves the needs given my post just above this.  I would love to be wrong!

3 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

It’s totally possible. The Pens have lost three in a row and no Letang.  But I still don’t see how it moves the needs given my post just above this.  I would love to be wrong!

I think they've actually won 3 in a row. I say it changes things because it shows we have evolved into a team that can beat playoff teams above us. Obviously we would have to continue that down the line against Detroit and Florida and so on. 

There has been a shift in play recently, partly because of injured D men returning (mostly Samuelsson) but mostly because of Cozens seemingly turning into our missing 2C. It's made a huge difference so one presumes it continues and then this team should be better her on in. Pittsburgh is the real first test.

Goaltending and lack of depth will still likely sink us. 

Just now, PerreaultForever said:

I don't think they're making the playoffs. We've picked up points against many back up goalies and weaker opponents. Historically we falter in the second half when teams tighten it up and things get more serious. 

I will perhaps rethink this if we win the home and home against Pittsburgh.

What do you mean by historically?  Each of the past two seasons, the Sabres have won more games in the 2nd half of the season than in the 1st.

When the Sabres win games early in the season people say “we’ll see how they do when things tighten up”.  When they win games later in the season people say “it’s a lot easier to win after they are out of it and the pressure is off”.  It’s pretty funny actually.

7 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I think they've actually won 3 in a row. I say it changes things because it shows we have evolved into a team that can beat playoff teams above us. Obviously we would have to continue that down the line against Detroit and Florida and so on. 

There has been a shift in play recently, partly because of injured D men returning (mostly Samuelsson) but mostly because of Cozens seemingly turning into our missing 2C. It's made a huge difference so one presumes it continues and then this team should be better her on in. Pittsburgh is the real first test.

Goaltending and lack of depth will still likely sink us. 

LOL you’re right. The Voodoo Ranger Imperial IPA must have got me shook up.   My bad. 

I think the projection of numbers I laid out above will ring true. The Sabres aren’t going to play .700 hockey from here on out to get to 98 points. I just don’t see it. 

The only potential dramatic change to the Sabres season would be a goaltending upgrade, and I just cannot see them acting on that today…because who would be available? Goalie upgrades aren’t typically done mid season. And a deadline deal for a goalie like MA Fleury (the big fish from last year) don’t seem like Buffalo would be a logical destination. And even if they could pull off something major for a legitimate goalie, that would require waivers for either Anderson of Comrie. I just don’t see it.

I apologize in advance if there are typos to the above. I’m logging off now lol 🍻

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

LOL you’re right. The Voodoo Ranger Imperial IPA must have got me shook up.   My bad. 

I think the projection of numbers I laid out above will ring true. The Sabres aren’t going to play .700 hockey from here on out to get to 98 points. I just don’t see it. 

The only potential dramatic change to the Sabres season would be a goaltending upgrade, and I just cannot see them acting on that today…because who would be available? Goalie upgrades aren’t typically done mid season. And a deadline deal for a goalie like MA Fleury (the big fish from last year) don’t seem like Buffalo would be a logical destination. And even if they could pull off something major for a legitimate goalie, that would require waivers for either Anderson of Comrie. I just don’t see it.

I apologize in advance if there are typos to the above. I’m logging off now lol 🍻

The Sabres don’t need to play .700 hockey to get to 98 points. They need to play .652 hockey, and they get there. That’s still a tall order, but makeable. 

7 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

The Sabres don’t need to play .700 hockey to get to 98 points. They need to play .652 hockey, and they get there. That’s still a tall order, but makeable. 

Thank you.  I didn’t do the math, but assumed an above comment as accurate. As you said, it is still a tall order. I’ll watch no matter what. Go Sabres. 

8 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Thank you.  I didn’t do the math, but assumed an above comment as accurate. As you said, it is still a tall order. I’ll watch no matter what. Go Sabres. 

You're right but that number changes with each game. Right now it's .652 with 56 games to go. Beat PIT Friday and it drops to .645.

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You're right but that number changes with each game. Right now it's .652 with 56 games to go. Beat PIT Friday and it drops to .645.

If they win enough times in a row, their winning % will need to go to zero to hit 98 points.  

Truth Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Curt said:

What do you mean by historically?  Each of the past two seasons, the Sabres have won more games in the 2nd half of the season than in the 1st.

When the Sabres win games early in the season people say “we’ll see how they do when things tighten up”.  When they win games later in the season people say “it’s a lot easier to win after they are out of it and the pressure is off”.  It’s pretty funny actually.

No, they've won games late in the year but not in the critical phase after Christmas. We have started fast several times and then faltered but won again late in the year when once again it's the back up goalies and meaningless games. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.