Sabres are tied for 2nd in the NHL in Goals For

SHAAAUGHT!!!

Sabres are tied for 2nd right now with Boston at 96 goals for, only 2 goals shy of the leader Dallas.

So why is the record as bad as it is?  Well, the Sabres are tied with Columbus for the most goals against in the eastern conference with 92. 

Issue is definitely inconsistent goaltending and bad defense.  But is it system related or player based?  

I personally go back and forth as to the root cause and I’m curious to see what everyone thinks.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

Sabres are tied for 2nd right now with Boston at 96 goals for, only 2 goals shy of the leader Dallas.

So why is the record as bad as it is?  Well, the Sabres are tied with Columbus for the most goals against in the eastern conference with 92. 

Issue is definitely inconsistent goaltending and bad defense.  But is it system related or player based?  

I personally go back and forth as to the root cause and I’m curious to see what everyone thinks.

Player and organizations philosophy based.

We all know the Sabres want to play the young guys.  They SHOULD get better but will make mistakes along the way.  Krebs, Peterka, Quinn, and even Cozens haven't bee the greatest in their own end.  That should get better as times goes on.   Just have those forwards get better in their own zone, keep the D-unit a bit healthier and get a little better goaltending, and that moves them up the rankings.  Those 3 things are the low hanging fruit.

These guys also need to get used to each other for D-zone coverage. The list of players currently playing on this team that haven't even played a full season (82 games) over the past 2 years is pretty long:  Tuch, Hinestroza, Mitts, Krebs, Jokiharju, Quinn, Peterka, Power, Samuelsson, Fitz, Jost, Pilut, Lyubushkin......all of those guys, through injury or being new, haven't even played 82 games of the 100+ possible games between this year and last.

Edited by mjd1001

Part of it looks like HCDG has not emphasised a strongly-defined defencive structure.  The structure which exists seems loose.  Also, the youth have made a lot of mistakes that come with youth, particularly the lack of situational awareness.  The plethora of high-quality scoring chances which opponents get most games are a testimony to these issues.

I can not overstate how much Samuelsson's injury hurt the defence; Lyubushkin's and Jokiharu's exacerbated the problem.  The lack of defencive depth was exposed by these.

Goaltending has been suspect.  Some of this comes from the lack of awareness by the skaters in the defencive zone, but soft goals are distressingly common.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Part of it looks like HCDG has not emphasised a strongly-defined defencive structure.  The structure which exists seems loose.  Also, the youth have made a lot of mistakes that come with youth, particularly the lack of situational awareness.  The plethora of high-quality scoring chances which opponents get most games are a testimony to these issues.

I can not overstate how much Samuelsson's injury hurt the defence; Lyubushkin's and Jokiharu's exacerbated the problem.  The lack of defencive depth was exposed by these.

Goaltending has been suspect.  Some of this comes from the lack of awareness by the skaters in the defencive zone, but soft goals are distressingly common.

Goals from far out where they have a clear view of the shot and are simply beaten are way too common. Once in a while...OK, it happens.  Every game?  Sometimes a few times a game?  Inexcusable.

I know old fashioned plus-minus is a statistic that people think is flawed, but it can be a tool if you look at it a certain way.  For the season so far with the Sabres D-men:

Dahlin, Samuelsson, Power, Jokiharju:  All positive players a combined  +28.

Pilut, Clague, Fitzgerald, and Bryson:  All negative players, combined  -22.

When the Sabres have injuries back there and the bottom guys have to step up into larger roles....that might be the biggest issue of all.

• Like (+1) 3

Whos are our goalie coaches?

Who was the last Goaltender to develop successfully in the Sabres system ?

Who was the goaltender coaches then ?

Is it bad player/goaltending or bad developement?

Ulmark is doing well in Boston but he never looked consistent in Buffalo. UPL has plateaued it appears. Cromrie hasn't wowed us but he is new to the system.

3 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I know old fashioned plus-minus is a statistic that people think is flawed, but it can be a tool if you look at it a certain way.  For the season so far with the Sabres D-men:

When the Sabres have injuries back there and the bottom guys have to step up into larger roles....that might be the biggest issue of all.

Lyubushkin?

Just now, ddaryl said:

Whos are our goalie coaches?

Who was the last Goaltender to develop successfully in the Sabres system ?

Who was the goaltender coaches then ?

Is it bad player/goaltending or bad developement?

Ulmark is doing well in Boston but he never looked consistent in Buffalo. UPL has plateaued it appears. Cromrie hasn't wowed us but he is new to the system.

Remember when we were so worried when tanking that our goaltending was too good and it would ruin our draft position because they would win games sometimes even as we were being outplayed and outshot badly?

How times have changed...

Man, could we use that now.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

In my opinion… Even with better defense… I think the goaltending is so subpar that on average they would still be giving up three goals a game.

However at the pace we are scoring if we can get our GA down from the current 3.68 to 3 we’d pick up an extra 40 goals in differential by seasons’ end and likely be at or near a playoff spot.  

If our bottom 5 D are -28, isn’t that the obvious place to begin to improve the team?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

44 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

The goaltending is below par much of the time.  On defense we have some good players, and we have some weak players too, and a rookie.   Injuries certainly affected the defense, and it was a big reason for losing 8 in a row.  

The DG system favors offense and for that reason alone some of the forwards seem to not pull their weigh in the defensive zone.   We also have recently seen some blown leads and play that suggest that we don't do anything special to lock down a 3rd period lead.  

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

However at the pace we are scoring if we can get out GA down from the current 3.68 to 3 we’d pick up an extra 40 goals in differential by seasons’ end and likely be at or near a playoff spot.  

If our bottom 5 D are -28, isn’t that the obvious place to begin to improve the team?

If we are at a +44 goal differential we definitely would be in a playoff spot...that would likely be top 5 in the NHL.

Edited by matter2003

27 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

If ever there was damning evidence, the contrast between the top four and bottom four is it. Talk about glaring.

35 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

If we are at a +44 goal differential we definitely would be in a playoff spot...that would likely be top 5 in the NHL.

and now you know why I have been arguing for weeks (actually months) for KA to step up and try to fix the defense.  We have cap space, picks, prospects and an excess of NHL forwards to get a deal done.  I know he wants to stick to the plan, but it's time to find help for the struggling defense.  

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

Krebs, Peterka, Quinn, and even Cozens haven't bee the greatest in their own end.

What are you smoking?  That line is actually pretty good at defending.

7 minutes ago, Toilet_Mop said:

Get better goaltending 

Sure, order some from Amazon, it will arrive in 3-5 days.  It's that easy, right?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

and now you know why I have been arguing for weeks (actually months) for KA to step up and try to fix the defense.  We have cap space, picks, prospects and an excess of NHL forwards to get a deal done.  I know he wants to stick to the plan, but it's time to find help for the struggling defense.  

Actually, you and I, among others, go back a few years.

8 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

What are you smoking?  That line is actually pretty good at defending.

Obviously whatever you are smoking makes you not remember anything beyond the last game or two.

I have chronicled over and over, referencing exact plays and actual replays of goals allowed this year, the mistakes they are making.

SEVERAL goals have been scored against the Sabres because Cozens doesn't play his position in his own end, instead chasing the puck.  Multiple goals and chance after chance occur he leaves the slot/anywere in the center of the ice to chase the puck into the corner (where other Sabres players already are) only to have the puck come back to the place he vacated where a great shot (and sometimes a goal) is scored.  This is his main weakness now.

As for Peterka and Quinn, they aren't out of position as much as Cozens, but they too have had chances and goals allowed vs the Sabres due to their losing battles on the board or turnovers. 

The line is playing better now, but over the course of this entire year, all 3 players have made mistakes/been out of position more than most other forwards on the team allowing prime chances and goals against.  

Just because something doesn't fit your narrative, its a bit childish to ask somoeon "what they are smoking" when the facts are there to support THEIR (not your) point of view.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.