Practice Lines 12/6

Brawndo

I don't see that switch fixing the issues with line 3.

I agree with Mustache.  I would put in Asplund for Mitts for the next game and kind of keep rotating those 3 (Mitts, Asplund and VO) in and out.  Keep Jost on line 4.  Those three are doing alright.

Edited by Sabres Fan in NS
more goodly ...
  • Like (+1) 1

At what point does DG realize that keeping Mitts and VO together doesn’t work and dressing them game after game is not helping the morale of guys like Asplund, Hinestroza and Krebs, who have had better outings than those two yet are healthy scratches.

For one damn game try Asplund, Krebs and Hinestroza together. If they get caved in then bring back one of CM and VO to try and mix it up. CM and VO get caved in regardless of who they are with.

Casey and VO sitting might get them to wake up to the fact that they need to bring more to the table to remain on this team.

• Agree 2

The most intriguing thing about the practice lines that DG is assembling is having Krebs on the Girgs and Okposo line. If that reshuffling has a positive effect on Krebs's play, that in itself is a good thing for the youngster and for the team. No one can argue that the Sabres are a finished product, far from it. But if you can develop a youngster within your system and have him contribute, then that is another added piece to the puzzle. 

• Like (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

So much denial in demoting Krebs 

Considering Okposo & Girgensons are regularly in the 5v5 line rotation & Mittelstadt & Olofsson are getting spot duty, it would seem to be a promotion for Krebs &/or a demotion for Jost.

And that Jost line will likely be deployed like most NHL teams deploy their 4th line.  All 3 are there for STs.  Jost as a 1st pairing PK F & Mitts & VO are key for the "kid" PP unit.   They'll get the odd 5v5 shift to stay loose but won't get a ton of 5v5.

• Agree 2

59 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Considering Okposo & Girgensons are regularly in the 5v5 line rotation & Mittelstadt & Olofsson are getting spot duty, it would seem to be a promotion for Krebs &/or a demotion for Jost.

And that Jost line will likely be deployed like most NHL teams deploy their 4th line.  All 3 are there for STs.  Jost as a 1st pairing PK F & Mitts & VO are key for the "kid" PP unit.   They'll get the odd 5v5 shift to stay loose but won't get a ton of 5v5.

It seems to me that Granato is attempting to put Krebs with Okposo & Girgensons to influence him to take an approach similar to them. Jost, who has been a pleasant surprise, could also have a positive affect on VO & Mitts. It's a crapshoot but certainly worth the effort. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, grinreaper said:

It seems to me that Granato is attempting to put Krebs with Okposo & Girgensons to influence him to take an approach similar to them. Jost, who has been a pleasant surprise, could also have a positive affect on VO & Mitts. It's a crapshoot but certainly worth the effort. 

I mean there are only so many combinations you can try.  No way he is touching the top 2 lines right now, and probably never.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, grinreaper said:

This is my read.  Or at least:  I think Okie and Gus play a straightforward, north-south game.  Krebsy is too much east-west.  By playing with those two guys, they want him to learn to advance the puck without getting too fancy (my take).  On the other line I think they want Jost's persistence and defensive responsibility to rub off on Mitts & VO.  Jost is by no means a great player, but he's not afraid to act and does a good job of cleaning up his own mistakes.  VO may always be a floater but Casey in particular could take a lesson from Jost.

• Like (+1) 1

Why does everyone keep lumping Mitts and V.O. together.  One was on our top line and the other has never really done anything meaningful even when given every opportunity.  IMO Mitts only scores goals in garbage time after the game is long decided and will not be a playoff performer.  Time to try something else as the Sabres are playing well enough to try and win now, while still developing the younger guys.  Kerbs currently is Mitts 2.0 so why not go with him and add someone else into the lineup.   

Go Sabres! 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I like giving Krebs a shot with ZG and KO. 

Third line of Aspy-Jost-Vinnie will most likely score less goals, and give up less goals than Mitts-Jost-VO.  

The encouraging thing about playing Krebs with the two grizzly vets is that it forced him to play a more disciplined and tighter style of game. What the insertion of Krebs into that more defensive line demonstrated is that Krebs can adjust his free floating and loose passing brand of hockey and make him concentrate more on puck retrieval and possession. Especially in the third period of the San Jose, Krebs worked hard, along with his linemates, to keep the puck in his own zone. Or another way to describe it is to value the puck and the possession. Something he had problems with. Don Granato showed that good coaching includes experimenting to put his players in the best position to succeed. 

The next challenge for the coach is to find the right strategies to get Mitts and Olofsson back on track. I know that @LGR4GM doesn't agree with me (expecting a barrage of assaults) but I do believe that these two players are salvageable. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The next challenge for the coach is to find the right strategies to get Mitts and Olofsson back on track.

Let's get Krebs' head screwed on straight, then put him on the line with JJ and Quinn (they played well together at AHL level), put the speedy/impatient Cozens between Mitts and VO and show them what skating is, and let Jost do his thing on Okie/Gus line.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Disagree 1
  • dislike 2

6 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Let's get Krebs' head screwed on straight, then put him on the line with JJ and Quinn (they played well together at AHL level), put the speedy/impatient Cozens between Mitts and VO and show them what skating is, and let Jost do his thing on Okie/Gus line.

No. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyK said:

Why does everyone keep lumping Mitts and V.O. together.  One was on our top line and the other has never really done anything meaningful even when given every opportunity.  IMO Mitts only scores goals in garbage time after the game is long decided and will not be a playoff performer.  Time to try something else as the Sabres are playing well enough to try and win now, while still developing the younger guys.  Kerbs currently is Mitts 2.0 so why not go with him and add someone else into the lineup.   

Go Sabres! 

Welcome back!

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

This is my read.  Or at least:  I think Okie and Gus play a straightforward, north-south game.  Krebsy is too much east-west.  By playing with those two guys, they want him to learn to advance the puck without getting too fancy (my take).  On the other line I think they want Jost's persistence and defensive responsibility to rub off on Mitts & VO.  Jost is by no means a great player, but he's not afraid to act and does a good job of cleaning up his own mistakes.  VO may always be a floater but Casey in particular could take a lesson from Jost.

4 hours ago, grinreaper said:

Granato is putting Krebs with the KO and ZG because he reads my posts and is paying attention.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

No. Just … no.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Yes, I know, taking Cozens away from JJ and Quinn might be a bad move, but on the other hand, Cozens is emerging as a leader and I think he might pull Mitts and VO along behind him and not allow them to be lazy.

Not allow? Being lazy or not is strictly up to the player. Nobody can make anyone not lazy. What’s Cozens gonna do? Give ‘em mean looks? Yell at em? Ask them please don’t be lazy? Besides, I don’t think their problem is one of laziness, anyway. They give effort more often than not. They’re just not very good at the game. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.