Predict the roster for opening night 2023

Crusader1969

Top 2 lines are a 🔒 

top D pair is also a lock

so What the prediction for line 3 and 4 along with the bottom 2 D pairs and goalies ??

Kulich - Krebs - Kane. (KKK line - is that allowed?)
Girgs- Jost - Asplund 

Power    Joker
Chychrun   Lyubushkin 

Comrie
UFA  signed to 1 year deal 

Kane comes home to lead the way for his hometown team 

GMKA gets the Chrychrun deal done for next years First (13th overall), Rosen, rights to Portillo and Richards 

Edited by Crusader1969
  • Vomit 1

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

Top 2 lines are a 🔒 

so What the prediction for line 3 and 4 along with the bottom 2 D pairs and goalies ??

Girgs- Jost - Asplund 

Power    Joker
Chychrun   Lyubushkin 

Comrie

GMKA gets the Chrychrun deal done for next years First (13th overall), Rosen, rights to Portillo and Richards 

Cringe Reaction GIF

5 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Top 2 lines are a 🔒 

Girgs- Jost - Asplund 

Power    Joker
Chychrun   Lyubushkin 

Comrie

Who is Richards?

16 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Top 2 lines are a 🔒 

Girgs- Jost - Asplund 

Power    Joker
Chychrun   Lyubushkin 

Comrie

I will do this for real now. No Kane and no Chychrun. 

Skinner - Tage - Tuch

JJP - Cozens - Quinn

Girgs - Jost - Asplund/Olofsson

Savoie - Unknown player - Kulich/Weissbach/Outside addition 

Muel - Dahlin

Power - Grans

R. Johnson - Boosh

Comrie

Levi

I trade Mitts and a late 2nd to LA for Helge Grans. Mitts give them a reclamation project who probably at the very least gives them some depth and the 2nd is the sweetner (they have a lot of defenders in LA). Levi signs and makes Buffalo out of camp. Weissbach gets promoted with Kulich not far behind. Savoie comes to Buffalo so they can work on his development but he will be on and off the active roster so Murray or someone else will also get added. They will have to add another C that is a veteran and good defensively. 

They also need 1 more defender but I bet Bryson or Fitz gets stays around. Bryson is signed for another year so he seems likely to be here. 

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Skinner - Tage - Tuch

JJP - Cozens - Quinn

Muel - Dahlin

Power - Grans

R. Johnson - Boosh

Comrie

Levi

I trade Mitts and a late 2nd to LA for Helge Grans. Mitts give them a reclamation project who probably at the very least gives them some depth and the 2nd is the sweetner (they have a lot of defenders in LA). Levi signs and makes Buffalo out of camp. Weissbach gets promoted with Kulich not far behind. Savoie comes to Buffalo so they can work on his development but he will be on and off the active roster so Murray or someone else will also get added. They will have to add another C that is a veteran and good defensively. 

They also need 1 more defender but I bet Bryson or Fitz gets stays around. Bryson is signed for another year so he seems likely to be here. 

Do they go UFA or trade for the unknown  Center?

5 hours ago, French Collection said:

He is not a big bruising RHD like some are looking for but I would consider signing Matt Dumba as a UFA. This would push Bryson and Fitz to the AHL, where they belong.

Lots of mixed reviews about Dumba but he can definitely kill penalties…

in interested as long the price is reasonable 

Edited by Crusader1969

7 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Skinner - Tage - Tuch

JJP - Cozens - Quinn

Muel - Dahlin

Power - Grans

R. Johnson - Boosh

Comrie

Levi

Is Jokiharju also traded in this scenario? I don’t foresee him not making the roster if that is not the case. 

3 hours ago, Toilet_Mop said:

What tf does this mean are you the be all end all of hockey knowledge 

What a strange response. 

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

1 hour ago, sabresparaavida said:

Is Jokiharju also traded in this scenario? I don’t foresee him not making the roster if that is not the case. 

Oh yea,  I knew I forgot someone. Joker should be back, he's been decent. 

2 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Do they go UFA or trade for the unknown  Center?

Lots of mixed reviews about Dumba but he can definitely kill penalties…

in interested as long the price is reasonable 

Going ufa

Here is the Sabres current situation for next year

Forwards (8) - Thompson, Skinner, Tuch, Quinn, JJP, Krebs, Mitts and VO - Cost 30.7

RFAs - Jost, Cozens and Asplund

Key UFAs - KO and Girgensons

Prospects - Savoie, Rosen, Rousek (RFA), Weissbach (RFA), & Kulich

Defense (6) - Dahlin, Joki, Power, Samuelsson, Bush and Bryson - Cost 15.6

RFAs - Fitz; UFA - Pilut

Prospect - Johnson (if he signs)

Goaltending (2) - Comrie, UPL - Cost 2.6

UFA - Anderson

Prospects - Levi & Portillo

The Status Quo approach is to do next to nothing. At forward re-sign Jost, Cozens (my guess is the deal will be 6+ for at least 6 years), Asplund, and Savoie earns a job in camp.  This leaves room for Girgensons or KO to re-sign.  My guess is Girgensons because of his style of play.  On defense, they may re-sign Fitz, but my hope is he brings in real depth.  Lastly in goal, in theory he could stick with the tandem under contract.  This is not a step forward IMHO

A more aggressive approach is needed.  At forward - trade VO & Mitts (maybe as early as the deadline).  Bring in a solid 2 way forward to help the 3rd line, someone like Miles Wood or JT Compher.  Re-sign Cozens, Jost and Asplund.  On defense - trade, acquire, sign 2 more veteran D.  For example sign Nick Jensen and make a bold deal for Dumba or Chychrun.  Trade Bryson away if necessary.  In goal try to sign Adin Hill.  UPL isn't the answer and Levi will need at least a year in the AHL.

Skinner TNT Tuch

JJP Cozens Quinn

Woods Krebs Savoie

Girgensons Jost Asplund

Dahlin Samuelsson

Power Chychrun

Joki Bush

Jensen

Comrie Hill

6 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Here is the Sabres current situation for next year

Forwards (8) - Thompson, Skinner, Tuch, Quinn, JJP, Krebs, Mitts and VO - Cost 30.7

RFAs - Jost, Cozens and Asplund

Key UFAs - KO and Girgensons

Prospects - Savoie, Rosen, Rousek (RFA), Weissbach (RFA), & Kulich

Defense (6) - Dahlin, Joki, Power, Samuelsson, Bush and Bryson - Cost 15.6

RFAs - Fitz; UFA - Pilut

Prospect - Johnson (if he signs)

Goaltending (2) - Comrie, UPL - Cost 2.6

UFA - Anderson

Prospects - Levi & Portillo

The Status Quo approach is to do next to nothing. At forward re-sign Jost, Cozens (my guess is the deal will be 6+ for at least 6 years), Asplund, and Savoie earns a job in camp.  This leaves room for Girgensons or KO to re-sign.  My guess is Girgensons because of his style of play.  On defense, they may re-sign Fitz, but my hope is he brings in real depth.  Lastly in goal, in theory he could stick with the tandem under contract.  This is not a step forward IMHO

A more aggressive approach is needed.  At forward - trade VO & Mitts (maybe as early as the deadline).  Bring in a solid 2 way forward to help the 3rd line, someone like Miles Wood or JT Compher.  Re-sign Cozens, Jost and Asplund.  On defense - trade, acquire, sign 2 more veteran D.  For example sign Nick Jensen and make a bold deal for Dumba or Chychrun.  Trade Bryson away if necessary.  In goal try to sign Adin Hill.  UPL isn't the answer and Levi will need at least a year in the AHL.

Skinner TNT Tuch

JJP Cozens Quinn

Woods Krebs Savoie

Girgensons Jost Asplund

Dahlin Samuelsson

Power Chychrun

Joki Bush

Jensen

Comrie Hill

A reasonable take.  Can't see any situation Wood would ever play for the Sabres, but someone similar might.

10 minutes ago, Taro T said:

A reasonable take.  Can't see any situation Wood would ever play for the Sabres, but someone similar might.

He was born in Buffalo and money talks, but generally I agree he is a long-shot.  How he plays is what I'm looking for. 

The key here is to stay to the general plan, but at least be flexible enough to allow that some areas simply aren't going to get filled with prospects right now or that it would be best from the franchise if they were manned by more veteran players.

I wouldn't mind making a move for Chychrun right now and see if it works.  If he doesn't  my guess is we can recover most if not all we paid from a contender at the deadline.   

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

He was born in Buffalo and money talks, but generally I agree he is a long-shot.  How he plays is what I'm looking for. 

The key here is to stay to the general plan, but at least be flexible enough to allow that some areas simply aren't going to get filled with prospects right now or that it would be best from the franchise if they were manned by more veteran players.

I wouldn't mind making a move for Chychrun right now and see if it works.  If he doesn't  my guess is we can recover most if not all we paid from a contender at the deadline.   

Regarding Wood: He was born in Buffalo, because his dad was a Sabre, who happened to be the Sabres NHLPA Rep just coincidently during the only inseason players' strike in NHL history.  The Knoxes, being old money, did not appreciate the fact that the players struck, and soon thereafter sent him packing.  Randy has never gotten over it; doubt his kid is particularly fond of the organization that traded away his father out of spite, regardless of the Knoxes being gone for roughly a quarter century.

As for Chychrun, alao wouldn't mind seeing him in B&G (wanted him to be the pick in that draft held in Buffalo) but believe he isn't an ideal partner for Power.  Would like more of another Samuelsson for him.  But it would give the Sabres an above average 1st pairing, and an above average 3rd pairing; the 2nd pairing only being average would still overall be an upgrade over where they're at.

If we did end up trading for Chychurn, I’d hope we don’t play him at RD, he has been bad there, ask Arizona fans. I really don’t think this move makes much sense unless they were to move Power to the right side, or play Chychurn on the third pair. And I don’t think it will be worth the trade costs to put him on the third pair. 

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Regarding Wood: He was born in Buffalo, because his dad was a Sabre, who happened to be the Sabres NHLPA Rep just coincidently during the only inseason players' strike in NHL history.  The Knoxes, being old money, did not appreciate the fact that the players struck, and soon thereafter sent him packing.  Randy has never gotten over it; doubt his kid is particularly fond of the organization that traded away his father out of spite, regardless of the Knoxes being gone for roughly a quarter century.

As for Chychrun, alao wouldn't mind seeing him in B&G (wanted him to be the pick in that draft held in Buffalo) but believe he isn't an ideal partner for Power.  Would like more of another Samuelsson for him.  But it would give the Sabres an above average 1st pairing, and an above average 3rd pairing; the 2nd pairing only being average would still overall be an upgrade over where they're at.

It's funny that you brought up where to play Chychrun, because after I posted my lineup, I began to think how to best utilize his talents and I kind of decided to make him Bush's 3rd line partner 5 on 5, but to add him to the 2nd PP as the PP QB, allowing Power more ability to "wander" and look for seems in the PK box kind of like he did in Michigan.  It would certainly be a much different look than the Tnt lead first unit.  I also like the idea of physical but mobile 6'2 220 Chychrun teaming up with Bush to become a physically dominate pair. 

Thus 

Samuelsson Dahlin

Power Joki

Chychrun Bush 

• Like (+1) 1

Two players I would look at for the Bottom Six are JT Compher or Alex Kerfoot. 

In term of defense I would look at New Jersey. They have an abundance of cap space (35 Million) with Jesper Bratt the major pending RFA who needs a new deal, with 10 current roster players under contract. 

Both Ryan Graves and Damon Severson are UFAs, the latter being a RHD. 
They have the money to sign them, but do they have the roster spots for them with Simon Nemec, Luke Hughes and Seamus Casey probably ready to step into the NHL soon. 

So I doubt Graves and Severson fit into their long term plans. 
Severson will be 29, has good fancy stats and should be a top target for the Sabres if He hits UFA 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.