2023 World Juniors

LGR4GM

11 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Bedard is really good. Everyone knows this. Interestingly Shane Wright has not impressed so I guess maybe Montreal etc. were right about Wright.

Rosen was not impressive. Kulich made some good plays, scored the goal, but I thought his play overall was inconsistent. Spacek does look like a promising pick for whoever has him (Wild?)

At this point Snuggerud and Gaucher, and maybe Bischel look like better picks than Östlund. (too early to pronounce judgement of course)

If it's true that those goalies are free and unattached I'd look at trying to get one if I was KA. 

Rosen has been impressive with his speed, shot and playmaking.

Kulich would be in MVP talk if not for Bedard.

Östlund has looked much better then Gaucher and as good as those other players. His IQ and ability to make plays all over the ice has been on full display. He also can PK and play the PP.  The kid has Sebastian Aho vibes about him if he can continue to develop and fill out.

Wright does not stand out regardless of where he plays. I just don’t know with him.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

1 minute ago, Flashsabre said:

Östlund has looked much better then Gaucher and as good as those other players. His IQ and ability to make plays all over the ice has been on full display. He also can PK and play the PP.  The kid has Sebastian Aho vibes about him if he can continue to develop and fill out.

I thought Östlund looked just okay. Some flashes of skill and speed but still a very raw prospect. I don't think there's any cause for concern -- he was always viewed as a bit of a developmental project. I wouldn't expect to see him in the AHL until 2 years from now.

15 minutes ago, NAF said:

I thought Östlund looked just okay. Some flashes of skill and speed but still a very raw prospect. I don't think there's any cause for concern -- he was always viewed as a bit of a developmental project. I wouldn't expect to see him in the AHL until 2 years from now.

I'm unsure. He plays in the Allsveskan right now so I wonder if they try and get him to Rochester for next season. If not I could see them waiting only 1 further season before bringing him over. Either way he has a lot to learn and needs to add about 30lbs of muscle to be a successful NHL player. 

57 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Rosen has been impressive with his speed, shot and playmaking.

Kulich would be in MVP talk if not for Bedard.

Wright does not stand out regardless of where he plays. I just don’t know with him.

Not that this tournament is the end all, be all, but six goals in six games, and chosen as player of the game is anything but “inconsistent”.  Coupled with his playing in the AHL at 18, I would say his development is on 🎯

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Östlund was better today. Rosen was the same. There's no question they both have skill and speed, but we knew that when they were drafted. The question is does their game translate and elevate to an NHL game. I'm not sure either has what it takes. To some extent I suppose you could just swap them in for VO and Asplund and reduce your payroll a little and not change things very much at all. 

I thought the U.S. would lose in the 3rd as the Swedes skate better and the U.S. looked more tired with the back to back game but the Swedish goalie was crap and they found a way. Gauthier and McGroarty both look like guys who have NHL ability, and Hughes will be exactly what people expect. Cooley is a pretty dominant force as well but that's hardly surprising. 

Kulich had a good showing, making the all star team. He is still young enough to play next year.

Suchanek played great game in an game out. Gutsy performance after getting run over. I want KA to pursue him as a FA.

Östlund was player of the game for Sweden today. He needs a few years to get stronger and be ready for the North American pro game.

Rosen had a few spurts but wasn’t a standout.

Halifax/Moncton were great hosts. Gothenburg Sweden next year.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Rosen had 2/4/6/+7 in 7 games (replays clearly showed he deflected in a 3rd goal, but it appears once IIHF awards a goal it doesn’t change its mind). He was tied for 2nd among Swedish forwards in points and +/-

Östlund put up 1/3/4/0 in 7. He got a ton of ice time as a middle six 2-way centre.

Kulich was 7/2/9/+10 in 7. He led Czech forwards in goals, points and +/-, was 2nd in the entire tournament for goals and was named (along with Berard and Cooley) to the final all-star team.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

Not that this tournament is the end all, be all, but six goals in six games, and chosen as player of the game is anything but “inconsistent”.  Coupled with his playing in the AHL at 18, I would say his development is on 🎯

His play during the games was inconsistent. He's a sniper, no question. He can bring some good goal scoring skill to the NHL. No argument. I'm just not sure he has a complete game. Some shifts and parts of shifts he seemed to float. He's a decent sized guy so I'm hoping we can turn him into a solid heavier power forward type and not just a fair weather Afinogenov type sniper. 

10 hours ago, French Collection said:

Kulich had a good showing, making the all star team. He is still young enough to play next year.

Suchanek played great game in an game out. Gutsy performance after getting run over. I want KA to pursue him as a FA.

Östlund was player of the game for Sweden today. He needs a few years to get stronger and be ready for the North American pro game.

Rosen had a few spurts but wasn’t a standout.

Halifax/Moncton were great hosts. Gothenburg Sweden next year.

Thanks ...

😎

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.