The Future's so Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades😎

Porous Five Hole

40 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

My point is that it kinda does define them though, at least in part.  They lost a key defender -- a guy who is pretty likely to sustain injuries and miss time regularly -- and they went to pieces.  If Mule blocks a shot and goes down again for, say, 6 games, are you confident that they won't go 1-5 in those 6 games?

A team is what its record says it is.

If you don't want to add any thought to it, sure.

13 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I can handle the tooth.

There was a cool scene after one of the goals... Quinn Peterka Cozens Dahlin and Samuelsson celebrating together.

It could be the future. Who knows.

The future is now!

We are number one in the Conference in terms of goals scored and at the same time in first place with Columbus in the number of goals conceded.

We have everything to reach the playoffs. We just need to miss less and play like in the second period in the last match with San Jose.

48 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

If you don't want to add any thought to it, sure.

I did think about it.

Every team has injuries, losing streaks and other idiosyncratic obstacles that it needs to overcome to win in the NHL.  The Sabres had some injuries and went to pieces, resulting in an awful losing streak and in turn their current record.  If the Sabres are unable to avoid going to pieces when they have injuries -- which are inevitable, including to key players -- then they simply won't be good enough to make the playoffs, and certainly not to be contenders.

It's not that complicated.

• Thanks (+1) 1

I agree with the sentiment of the OP. This team has things to be motivated by. The goalie situation is a mess, but also strung by bad luck. Either way we still have our ace up our sleeve long term there. This season so far has made it clear why a guy like Samuelsson earned his contract. A great contract. I have my rags on a couple of players, but mostly due to them playing in the wrong league. 

My fire and fury is now shifted to the coach. Praise to be given for getting us out of the gutter. Not an easy task. But the type of errors the healthy team is making are mental ones that other types of coaches would prevent. I’ve seen nothing that the current coaches mindset is going to fix that. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Sidc3000 said:

Damn good question. It really seems to me that Adams focused on offense because scoring goals is fun and may attract fans back to the arena. Plus sometimes if you score enough goals you’ll win even with par to subpar defense/goaltending. 

Hopefully the way the kids are playing will have some vets around the league to reconsider the Sabres.  

It's interesting, I think it was only a few years ago around here people clamored about having a team that would be exciting, that would add fun and entertainment, that even if they lost at least they would lose in an entertaining fashion. They claimed that would be enough to make them happy. Now that team is here and people are unhappy.

14 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I did think about it.

Every team has injuries, losing streaks and other idiosyncratic obstacles that it needs to overcome to win in the NHL.  The Sabres had some injuries and went to pieces, resulting in an awful losing streak and in turn their current record.  If the Sabres are unable to avoid going to pieces when they have injuries -- which are inevitable, including to key players -- then they simply won't be good enough to make the playoffs, and certainly not to be contenders.

It's not that complicated.

That's right, they do. But not every idiosyncrasy is the same, nor the injuries. You can look at a record as point in time snapshot of a team but it won't give you an indication of whether they will trend up or down in the future. That's the point of looking deeper.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

My point is that it kinda does define them though, at least in part.  They lost a key defender -- a guy who is pretty likely to sustain injuries and miss time regularly -- and they went to pieces.  If Mule blocks a shot and goes down again for, say, 6 games, are you confident that they won't go 1-5 in those 6 games?

A team is what its record says it is.

But they didn't just lose A key defender.  They lost their 2 & 5/4 and briefly also their 1 & 4/5.  And while that 4/5 was only out IIRC 2 games, he wasn't close to a 4/5 due to playing through an injury while the 2 (& others) were out.

What team doesn't go to pieces w/ only having their 1, a rookie & 4 others that were effectively a 6-9?

But to answer your Q, are the goalies UPL & Anderson or Comrie & either Anderson/Levi?  No, to the former (though am hopeful it would be better as this team now has a 2nd line performing and they didn't then); yes, to the latter.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

There may come a day where we can't afford all the talent we've got in the hopper.

Considering our young offense is going to get even better by the end of the year (than the 2nd in the league for GF), I'd say the future starts now. Let's get a goalie and get ready for a playoff run #1 this season before we can't afford all these potential future stars.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Curt said:

Did they really have two legit scoring lines?  Or just two good C’s?

Can you name the full lines? They certainly included a couple substandard players.

Those teams could never score and even the top two lines were always minus +/-  lines.

Well on paper I think they did, but in hindsight of course they were not good or we wouldn't have been where we were would we? Kane was certainly supposed to be a top winger. In a way he was. When Okposo was brought in he was supposed to be a 20-30 goal a year guy. I don't remember the line combinations but we had enough (supposed) talent at the time to say 2 top lines. Losing games we juggled personnel a lot. 

Cozens is getting good, but he's not ROR yet. 

56 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

I agree with the sentiment of the OP. This team has things to be motivated by. The goalie situation is a mess, but also strung by bad luck. Either way we still have our ace up our sleeve long term there. This season so far has made it clear why a guy like Samuelsson earned his contract. A great contract. I have my rags on a couple of players, but mostly due to them playing in the wrong league. 

My fire and fury is now shifted to the coach. Praise to be given for getting us out of the gutter. Not an easy task. But the type of errors the healthy team is making are mental ones that other types of coaches would prevent. I’ve seen nothing that the current coaches mindset is going to fix that. 

The coach has help make Thompson and Dahlin superstars.  He’s got Skinner to once again be a top line player.  
he’s help make Cozens the next in line to break out and seems to be doing a tremendous job with Power, JJ and Jack 

once they all develop, he may not be the right coach but for the next 2 years or so, there isn’t anyone better.  

13 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well on paper I think they did, but in hindsight of course they were not good or we wouldn't have been where we were would we? Kane was certainly supposed to be a top winger. In a way he was. When Okposo was brought in he was supposed to be a 20-30 goal a year guy. I don't remember the line combinations but we had enough (supposed) talent at the time to say 2 top lines. Losing games we juggled personnel a lot. 

Kane was supposed to be, he kind of was, but I think he played selfish/losing hockey most of the time he was here.  I still have nightmares of him skating into the zone with the puck and firing a 50 foot shot into the goalie.  Feels like I watched that 1,000 times.

Okposo unfortunately was not what he was supposed to be.  Probably still top-6 label worthy for a couple years, but barely.

I don’t think there was even ever a 6th guy who could legitimately be called a top-6 forward, even on paper.  Ancient Gionta?  Ancient Pominville?  Evan Rodrigues?  Benoit Pouliot?

• Thanks (+1) 1

15 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I can handle the tooth.

There was a cool scene after one of the goals... Quinn Peterka Cozens Dahlin and Samuelsson celebrating together.

It could be the future. Who knows.

Well, it was certainly the future before it happened.

15 hours ago, Zamboni said:

More threads like this instead of the negative Nancy, doom and gloom, everything about the Sabres sucks, nothing will ever get better, past history tells me there is nothing good in the future for this team, all decisions are wrong decisions by the brain trust threads. Is a step in the right direction. A step. 👍🏼

Seeing bright spots in the wins is easy. Can you see bright spots in the losses too?  🤔

If we couldn’t, I doubt we’d still be here after 11+ years of suckitude.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

and also @Curt

I'll take you back to 2016-17. This is the year after the Eichel/Reinhart's rookie season of 81 points. Why this 78-point season? This is GM Murrray's preferred roster and has some "we're on the way up" vibes like we had coming into this season after finishing last year strong and adding some top-end kids (Power, Quinn). Likewise, the 2016-17 squad had come off a positive rookie season for Eichel. They'd just landed the big UFA in Okposo, they'd dealt smallish Pysyk for gritty vet Kulikov and locked up Risto long-term. Moulson hadn't fallen off the X-wing yet. The only meaningful losses were the backup goalie (Johnson, replaced by Anders Nilsson) and a retired Legwand (replaced by Derek Grant). Then --- right before opening day Eichel got a high ankle sprain. The injuries never really let up. I'm cobbling together their forward lineup from 12/5/2016 lineup v. Washington with Ennis re-inserted to the top line (instead of William Carrier) where Ennis would play when he returned from injury a month later and their 10/16/2016 defense against Edmonton (Gorges negates McDavid) where all the top-6 D skated together (instead of the other Justin Falk or Burgdoerfer, etc.).

Ennis (inj) - R.O'Reilly - Okposo
Kane - Eichel - Reinhart
Foligno - Larsson - Gionta
Moulson - Grant - Girgensons

SCR: Carrier;  INJ: Deslauriers, Fasching (D-Lo would be in first over call-ups Fasching or Carrier)

Gorges - Ristolainen
McCabe - Bogosian
Kulikov - Franson 

SCR: Nelson

Lehner
Nilsson

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

The coach has help make Thompson and Dahlin superstars.  He’s got Skinner to once again be a top line player.  
he’s help make Cozens the next in line to break out and seems to be doing a tremendous job with Power, JJ and Jack 

once they all develop, he may not be the right coach but for the next 2 years or so, there isn’t anyone better.  

Yes, credit is due. You propose 2 years from now before we transition to mature hockey. I think that’s too late. We shall see. Too many late lead blowing losses and someone has to pay. 

2 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

There may come a day where we can't afford all the talent we've got in the hopper.

Considering our young offense is going to get even better by the end of the year (than the 2nd in the league for GF), I'd say the future starts now. Let's get a goalie and get ready for a playoff run #1 this season before we can't afford all these potential future stars.

While I would like to see that, it’s wishful thinking. Mid-season goalie trades almost never happen.  
Maybe a trade deadline deal could happen, but if the past deadline is any indication...it isn’t likely. From memory, the only goalies dealt were MA Fleury (unlikely Buffalo fit) and Wedgewood (pass).  The goaltending will need to be addressed in the off-season and KA needs to get it right. 

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

and also @Curt

I'll take you back to 2016-17. This is the year after the Eichel/Reinhart's rookie season of 81 points. Why this 78-point season? This is GM Murrray's preferred roster and has some "we're on the way up" vibes like we had coming into this season after finishing last year strong and adding some top-end kids (Power, Quinn). Likewise, the 2016-17 squad had come off a positive rookie season for Eichel. They'd just landed the big UFA in Okposo, they'd dealt smallish Pysyk for gritty vet Kulikov and locked up Risto long-term. Moulson hadn't fallen off the X-wing yet. The only meaningful losses were the backup goalie (Johnson, replaced by Anders Nilsson) and a retired Legwand (replaced by Derek Grant). Then --- right before opening day Eichel got a high ankle sprain. The injuries never really let up. I'm cobbling together their forward lineup from 12/5/2016 lineup v. Washington with Ennis re-inserted to the top line (instead of William Carrier) where Ennis would play when he returned from injury a month later and their 10/16/2016 defense against Edmonton (Gorges negates McDavid) where all the top-6 D skated together (instead of the other Justin Falk or Burgdoerfer, etc.).

Kane - Eichel - Reinhart

SCR: Carrier;  INJ: Deslauriers, Fasching (D-Lo would be in first over call-ups Fasching or Carrier)

Gorges - Ristolainen
McCabe - Bogosian
Kulikov - Franson 

Lehner
Nilsson

My assertion was that they didn’t have a legitimately full top-6.  You listing Ennis on the top line basically confirms my beliefs.

• Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

There may come a day, where the courage of men fails. But it is not this day!

Lord Of The Rings Yolo GIF

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Curt said:

Kane was supposed to be, he kind of was, but I think he played selfish/losing hockey most of the time he was here.  I still have nightmares of him skating into the zone with the puck and firing a 50 foot shot into the goalie.  Feels like I watched that 1,000 times.

Okposo unfortunately was not what he was supposed to be.  Probably still top-6 label worthy for a couple years, but barely.

I don’t think there was even ever a 6th guy who could legitimately be called a top-6 forward, even on paper.  Ancient Gionta?  Ancient Pominville?  Evan Rodrigues?  Benoit Pouliot?

Yes, in hindsight, but on paper it appeared that we had assembled 2 lines at that time with two top centers. You can't measure the failure against that any more than you can assume that we have 2 solid top lines now. Kid line had a good week with Cozens having a breakout week. Will this continue for all 3? No idea. Not to mention Skinner could crap out at any time, one never knows. 

We MIGHT have the makings of 2 top lines, and I hope we do, but it's far too early to say. 

10 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

and also @Curt

Kane - Eichel - Reinhart

Gorges - Ristolainen
McCabe - Bogosian
Kulikov - Franson 

Lehner
Nilsson

I forgot, Moulson was also signed to be a 20-30 goal winger. 

There were many bad signings and we all know it failed miserably but you can see the theory and idea. Two top centers, two checking centers, gritty bottom end, puck moving D men paired with tougher stay at home types and a budding star goalie. Veterans and kids. 

No need to go over how and why it failed, but when it was first assembled hopes were VERY high. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

17 hours ago, JohnC said:

The broadcast had a graphic that showed our three rookie players in Quinn, JJ and Power, combined, have more points than any rookie group on any team in the league. And watching our guys no one can deny that there is still so much more room to grow. 

Indeed. Quinn is coming on and growing in confidence. As young as these players are they have a lot of potential. 

No idea who might be available in free agency. But if we can get the Northeastern goalie to sign. Then bring in a quality two-way center (in place of Middlestadt) and add a quality defenseman with size, we could really be rocking in the future. 

I was really pumped about this team at the start of the season. Then it looked like a carbon copy of the past couple of years with the big losing streak.

But whatever happens to the playoff race, if they can keep fighting for games, scoring, it will be a fun year and a year to build on. 

love these young kids. It’s a bit like a college team playing in the NHL, they are so young. 

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I forgot, Moulson was also signed to be a 20-30 goal winger. 

There were many bad signings and we all know it failed miserably but you can see the theory and idea. Two top centers, two checking centers, gritty bottom end, puck moving D men paired with tougher stay at home types and a budding star goalie. Veterans and kids. 

No need to go over how and why it failed, but when it was first assembled hopes were VERY high. 

Just a note on Moulson.  By 2016-17, everyone could see that he was no good anymore.  He was coming off two full seasons of 8 and 13 goals, and he looked washed.  He wasn’t expected to be major contributor that season.

Hopes were high for sure though.  I felt hopeful that would be a playoff team.

Edited by Curt

18 hours ago, Curt said:

I think the talent level overall of the top 6 we have now is higher even if some of that is still measured in potential (which is a fickle biatch). There is more 200ft and unselfish players than before. 

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I think the talent level overall of the top 6 we have now is higher even if some of that is still measured in potential (which is a fickle biatch). There is more 200ft and unselfish players than before. 

Just imagine last years 1st rounders rounding out the top 9     Savoie, kulich and Östlund.   Unless we pick top 3 we might add Defense in draft.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.