GDT: Sabres @ Redwings, 11/30/2022, 7pm, TNT 📺, wgr 📻

LGR4GM

8 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Didn't realize the game was on TNT last night. Found it at the End of tne 2nd...

Watched the 1st half of the 3rd period and went to bed disgusted

Glad they won, but what I saw is team chasing everything and not playing sound. The Redwings were just dominating... They were winning faceoffs and controling the puck and the Sabres had no answers in that stretch...

I see lots of people claiming goaltending as the main problem... What I saw had very little to do with goaltending.. It came down to system, they didn't seem to have one that was working.. 

Since I haven't seen much live Sabres I do not  see them enough in real time to say goaltending is THE issue, but the team as whole was in complete dissaray for the about 12 minutes I did watch.

Goaltending is an issue but not THE issue by any stretch. Last night our goaltending kept their goals down. Without Anderson they would have scored 8-10. We're terrible defensively and I'm beginning to look at coaching. We need to teach our forwards to play both ends for one thing.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Radar said:

Goaltending is an issue but not THE issue by any stretch. Last night our goaltending kept their goals down. Without Anderson they would have scored 8-10. We're terrible defensively and I'm beginning to look at coaching. We need to teach our forwards to play both ends for one thing.

Yeah I'm questioning the scheme myself from what I saw.

14 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Didn't realize the game was on TNT last night. Found it at the End of tne 2nd...

Watched the 1st half of the 3rd period and went to bed disgusted

Glad they won, but what I saw is team chasing everything and not playing sound. The Redwings were just dominating... They were winning faceoffs and controling the puck and the Sabres had no answers in that stretch...

I see lots of people claiming goaltending as the main problem... What I saw had very little to do with goaltending.. It came down to system, they didn't seem to have one that was working.. 

Since I haven't seen much live Sabres I do not  see them enough in real time to say goaltending is THE issue, but the team as whole was in complete dissaray for the about 12 minutes I did watch.

They spent a good portion of the 3rd killing penalties including a 5 on 3. Thats likely the disarray you saw.

11 minutes ago, Radar said:

Anderson deserved the 3rd Star over Dahlin… As you say, he kept us in the game

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, nucci said:

This is more fun. I'm old enough to remember when penalties were just not called in the 3rd period. If you had a 2 goal lead going in to the 3rd it was pretty much a win.

You still have to have to that to be a dominant team.  Look at the stats of the top Cup contending teams.  They know how to close games and they don't routinely blow leads. 

Was very critical of Granato’s messaging when we gave up another big lead in the final period last night… (after Monday’s debacle and his postgame comment “It was a big, big learning for us”)… The team learned nothing Monday… and showed it last night… Quinn bailed them out

But gotta hand it to Granato, though… His postgame comments last night were classic… He has got to be among the smoothest-talking coaches in the NHL… A first team All-Star

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Yeah, Mitts is definitely losing the room, so to speak.

There is no part of his game that is working right now. 

His defensive game is bad, his faceoff performance is bad, his offensive output is inconsistent. 

Give Krebs the next few games and see if he can do something.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Believer said:

Was very critical of Granato’s messaging when we gave up another big lead in the final period last night… (after Monday’s debacle and his postgame comment “It was a big, big learning for us”)… The team learned nothing Monday… and showed it last night… Quinn bailed them out

But gotta hand it to Granato, though… His postgame comments last night were classic… He has got to be among the smoothest-talking coaches in the NHL… A first team All-Star

Granato will get all the rope he needs this year.  It was already considered a development season with so many rookies on the roster. 

I do not like publicly using "learning" as an excuse so much and I wish he would raise the expectations of the group.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Thorny said:

Someone who’ll be more ready to contribute towards winning would be my play 

And im a big Savoie guy and not one of those down on his pedestrian numbers this season 

I agree here.   Bring in another vet Center, either by trade or by UFA. Horvat is is obviously the dream scenario but pretty unrealistic   I’d want them to find Someone who has 2 to 3 years left on contract 

then let the 2 best of Savoie , Rosen, Rousak, Mittlestadt (if still with club), Kisakov, Östlund, Kulich and Krebs be the wingers for a couple of years 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Donny G is always saying that the team that scores first wins 70% of the time. I just wonder if that is still true. Does not seem that way to me. I don't even worry when we fall behind, and I don't relax when we are ahead. 

Whether the Sabres are up or down in a game I remain in a state of anxiety until the horn goes off. One can review the games we have lost and believe that the Sabres could have won at least three of those games. On the other hand, you can review the games we have won and conclude that we could have easily lost three of those games. So, it shouldn't be surprising that in following the Sabres this year I'm in a constant state of agitation!

The one positive thing about this team compared to the previous years' teams is that this team can compete with even the top tier teams in the league. That couldn't be said before. So with all the fluctuation the trend is upward, even when we don't see it. 

50 minutes ago, mphs mike said:

The problem with these 2 points is that they gave a point to a division rival

It's better than giving 2 points to a divisional rival and not getting any points for yourself. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Getpucksdeep said:

Seems like it's the move he used in training camp where Levi made the crazy save.  Also used in many Amerks games per the tweets.

So an NHL goalie can't make that save but Devon Levi can?

Nice. 😎

3 hours ago, K-9 said:

I watch a lot of Amerks games and I like Weissbach’s game, but he’s a left winger so I can’t see him replacing Mitts at center. Even though he’s a very young rookie, I’m intrigued by your Kulich idea. 

For some reason I thought he was a center.  Silly me.

4 hours ago, Pimlach said:

There is no part of his game that is working right now. 

His defensive game is bad, his faceoff performance is bad, his offensive output is inconsistent. 

Give Krebs the next few games and see if he can do something.  

I can see Krebs coming off the bench but I bet it will be at Hinostroza's expense, which is a mistake.  Mitts should sit.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, nucci said:

This is more fun. I'm old enough to remember when penalties were just not called in the 3rd period. If you had a 2 goal lead going in to the 3rd it was pretty much a win.

You and are in sync about the fun aspect of watching the Sabres. I'm very aware that there are many people who are not satisfied with the team's record. But what can't be denied is that this version of the team is very entertaining to watch. (As you point out.) That's definitely due to more talent but also to the philosophy of play that the HC promotes. Compare the entertainment value of a Krueger coached team to a Granato coached team? It seemed that Krueger's approach suppressed individual talents while the current coach accentuates the talents of his players. With a few more pieces this team will be even more of a compelling team to follow! 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.