GDT: Sabres @ Redwings, 11/30/2022, 7pm, TNT 📺, wgr 📻

LGR4GM

In the past two weeks, the Red Wings have been one of the toughest defenses. They keep the pressure off their net, ranking fourth in expected goals against. This strong defense has kept the puck out of their net as well, ranking fifth in goals against per game over the same time frame. Led by goaltender Vile Husso, Detroit has also been particularly strong at home, allowing just 2.58 goals per game.

As for the Wings’ attack, they are also a bit better than the Sabres. When looking at generating scoring chances, Detroit is five spots higher than Buffalo. When it comes to production, it’s more of the same, as the Red Wings rank a few spots higher in goals per game since the middle of November. Although they are close in that regard, the difference lies in Buffalo’s goaltending.

The Sabres have allowed the sixth-most goals per game, and the eighth-most goals per game on the road. Detroit has won four of their last five games and this will be their sixth-straight home game, so the best of our experts’ Sabres vs. Red Wings predictions is on the Wings money line.

https://www.mlive.com/betting/2022/11/sabres-vs-red-wings-predictions-caesars-promo-mlivefull-1250-offer.html

A big game. Detroit is a rival in the division and in the rebuild.  They chose to add a goalie and vets this off-season.  They are clinging to a playoff spot today, 7 points ahead of us with a game in hand. 

Other than goaltender, I would not trade rosters with them.  

Anderson vs a backup (surprise) 

Must Win - this is a team we want to pass in the standings.   

23 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

In the past two weeks, the Red Wings have been one of the toughest defenses. They keep the pressure off their net, ranking fourth in expected goals against. This strong defense has kept the puck out of their net as well, ranking fifth in goals against per game over the same time frame. Led by goaltender Vile Husso, Detroit has also been particularly strong at home, allowing just 2.58 goals per game.

As for the Wings’ attack, they are also a bit better than the Sabres. When looking at generating scoring chances, Detroit is five spots higher than Buffalo. When it comes to production, it’s more of the same, as the Red Wings rank a few spots higher in goals per game since the middle of November. Although they are close in that regard, the difference lies in Buffalo’s goaltending.

The Sabres have allowed the sixth-most goals per game, and the eighth-most goals per game on the road. Detroit has won four of their last five games and this will be their sixth-straight home game, so the best of our experts’ Sabres vs. Red Wings predictions is on the Wings money line.

https://www.mlive.com/betting/2022/11/sabres-vs-red-wings-predictions-caesars-promo-mlivefull-1250-offer.html

18 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Not feeling it …

Red Wings … 4

Buffalo Wings … 2

Okposo, Asplund, or Dahlin with a goal

Nah, we're winning this game. 

• LGR4GM changed the title to GDT: Sabres @ Redwings, 11/30/2022, 7pm, TNT, wgr
  • LGR4GM changed the title to GDT: Sabres @ Redwings, 11/30/2022, 7pm, TNT 📺, wgr 📻
1 hour ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

MUST WIN!!

GO SABRES!!

Growth as a team this season will be demonstrated against a team like the Red Wings who are themselves on the same building journey as the Sabres.

I love you but where have moral victories gotten us? They'll grow when they win. Maybe Adams is realizing that?

12 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I love you but where have moral victories gotten us? They'll grow when they win. Maybe Adams is realizing that?

I agree that moral victories are just about useless.  Where did I say anything about moral victories?  I said that progress will be measured in wins against teams like the Red Wings who are also rebuilding.

I'm not sure where I stand on Detroit overall.  They are getting better, but I think their upside is more limited than other teams (including the Sabres)

-Their "D" is overall playing better than the Sabres D.  But it is all their top 4.  Their #5 guy in terms of overall ice time is Robert Hagg (all you need to know about their bottem 2-4). Seider is their great young hope and he is playing a lot, but making lots of mistakes.

-Up front The Sabres have more talent for sure.  Larkin is what he is, a very, very good (but not great) forward who is young, plays PP, PK, and OT.  He is their 'do everything' guy, the star of the team, but not any better of a player than the top of the Sabres Roster.

-Lucas Raymond is a good player and it is early, but I think some where hoping for more of a jump in play from him this year. He is very talened, very young, and he IS playing well, but so far this season is is not any more productive than he was last year.

Detroit to me is more consistent than the Sabres, is getting better goaltending, and has less young guys making mistakes than the Sabres.  But I think the Sabres are more talented overall (enough so they are pretty even teams right now) and the Sabres have more young talent in the system than Detroit.

A 'moral victory' (if they exist for the Sabres) you get by outplaying and narrowly losing to a team like Boston, Tampa, Colorado.....but not Detroit. This Red Wing team is not good enough that anyone can justify a 'moral victory' against them.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I'm not sure where I stand on Detroit overall.  They are getting better, but I think their upside is more limited than other teams (including the Sabres)

-Their "D" is overall playing better than the Sabres D.  But it is all their top 4.  Their #5 guy in terms of overall ice time is Robert Hagg (all you need to know about their bottem 2-4). Seider is their great young hope and he is playing a lot, but making lots of mistakes.

-Up front The Sabres have more talent for sure.  Larkin is what he is, a very, very good (but not great) forward who is young, plays PP, PK, and OT.  He is their 'do everything' guy, the star of the team, but not any better of a player than the top of the Sabres Roster.

-Lucas Raymond is a good player and it is early, but I think some where hoping for more of a jump in play from him this year. He is very talened, very young, and he IS playing well, but so far this season is is not any more productive than he was last year.

Detroit to me is more consistent than the Sabres, is getting better goaltending, and has less young guys making mistakes than the Sabres.  But I think the Sabres are more talented overall (enough so they are pretty even teams right now) and the Sabres have more young talent in the system than Detroit.

A 'moral victory' (if they exist for the Sabres) you get by outplaying and narrowly losing to a team like Boston, Tampa, Colorado.....but not Detroit. This Red Wing team is not good enough that anyone can justify a 'moral victory' against them.

They singed Huso, we signed Comrie.  Switch that and we are 7 points ahead of them, probably more.  

There are no points in the standings for moral victories.  Blowing a 2-goal lead to Tampa, with 5 minutes left, on home ice - is no moral victory. That is a choke.  

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Sabres seem to be more talented...defense injuries have really hurt this team especially during their 8 game slide and goaltending is letting this team down massively. Again.  Funny how good goaltending almost cost the Sabres during their tank years and now when we are good enough from a rest of team standpoint to challenge for a playoff spot we can't get it consistently.

Rehire Arturs Irbe as their goalie coach.

Edited by matter2003

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.