Sabres are 7th in CF% in the NHL(all situations). Goaltending(outside Anderson) and PK are killing them.

matter2003

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Power doesn't have Krueger in his head either. 

He did. Comrie, just because it hasn't worked doesn't mean he hasn't tried, that's my gripe. Adams hasn't ignored the position, he just hasn't fixed it. 

Analytics pointed to that being a potentially great signing, but he just hasn't performed the same as last year under similar conditions...perhaps the added stress of being the defacto #1 goalie has gotten to him...something he didn't have any pressure with being the backup in Winnipeg.

• Like (+1) 1

I think the Detroit game was a clear example of how when our goaltending is better than theirs we can win a hockey game (even if we did blow the lead with bad D). PK, well we have focused on drafting offensive talent and we lack defensive talent. We don't have a real checking line, we suck at faceoffs and so we don't have reliable penalty killers. We struggle in front of the net 5 on 5 so with an extra man we struggle really bad. Most PP goals against us I'm pretty sure are from the so called dirty areas or are the result of solid screens and tips in front. At this stage, we are only going to win games by scoring A LOT. 

22 hours ago, matter2003 said:

We are not talking about singular instances in various situations. We are talking from an overall standpoint.  Similarly to having no correlation to winning games, they have no correlation to possession numbers so it isn't out of the question that winning a face-off on the penalty kill would result in a puck to the corner that you would lose a battle on and the team on the PP would gain possession anyway.

Yes, of course that can happen, but you surely can't argue that winning the draw and shooting it down the ice to start doesn't cut time off the penalty? I am not a stats guy, never will be (it's not fun) but when I look at the good PK teams, they are also good at face offs.  

9 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

He did. Comrie, just because it hasn't worked doesn't mean he hasn't tried, that's my gripe. Adams hasn't ignored the position, he just hasn't fixed it. 

I was just thinking about this.  During the off-season, I had advocated signing Jack Campbell. That hasn’t worked very well for Edmonton so far:

WINS-L-OTL: 7-5-0

GA/G: 4.04

SV%: .875

Further, Holtby retired. Murray nixed the Sabres trade. Kuemper came off a cup win and it was reasonable to sign with a contender. Francouz and Korpisalo ended up re-signing with their respective teams. And Husso was a trade rather than UFA. 

I agree with you that KA has tried…it just hasn’t been the fix we were all hoping for.  

Edited by Porous Five Hole

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.