Sabres have 4 players on an 80+ point pace currently...

matter2003

Not sure when the last time the Sabres have had 4 players finish with more than 80 points but that would be pretty amazing if that happened...

Thompson on a 104 point pace

Dahlin on a 93 point pace(would also shatter Housley's franchise record for points by a defenseman when he had 81)

Tuch and Skinner on an 82 point pace.  

Now if we could get some damn goaltending...

EDIT:

Apparently the only time this has happened in franchise history was in 1991-92 when Hawerchuk had 98 points, LaFontaine had 93(in 57 games!!), Andreychuk had 91 and Mogilny had 84.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 7

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Not sure when the last time the Sabres have had 4 players finish with more than 80 points but that would be pretty amazing if that happened...

Dahlin on a 93 point pace(would also shatter Housley's franchise record for points by a defenseman when he had 81)

EDIT:

Apparently the only time this has happened in franchise history was in 1991-92 when Hawerchuk had 98 points, LaFontaine had 93(in 57 games!!), Andreychuk had 91 and Mogilny had 84.

You beat me to this. I was looking at this last night but it was in relation to something else I was posting and I though I need to make mention of this, but you got it.  Interestingly Tuch and Skinner both have 10G - 12A - 22P.

The side benefit of Dahlin's success is it allows Power to learn his game without feeling he has to be the tog dawg; Dahlin going through that kind of pressure nearly ruined him.

5 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

You beat me to this. I was looking at this last night but it was in relation to something else I was posting and I though I need to make mention of this, but you got it.  Interestingly Tuch and Skinner both have 10G - 12A - 22P.

The side benefit of Dahlin's success is it allows Power to learn his game without feeling he has to be the tog dawg; Dahlin going through that kind of pressure nearly ruined him.

IMO, Power is going to be at this level quicker than Dahlin...imagine when the Sabres trot out 2 Dmen capable of 70+ points every year??

Power hit 10 assists in his rookie year faster than everyone in franchise history other than Housley and Calle Johanssen.  

This team is being squandered due to garbage goaltending, even worse goaltending on the PK and unwillingness to play Anderson more even tho he has played very well. He's 41...so what?  He is the only one playing well, and realistically the only one playing above replacement level.

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

IMO, Power is going to be at this level quicker than Dahlin...imagine when the Sabres trot out 2 Dmen capable of 70+ points every year??

Power hit 10 assists in his rookie year faster than everyone in franchise history other than Housley and Calle Johanssen.  

This team is being squandered due to garbage goaltending, even worse goaltending on the PK and unwillingness to play Anderson more even tho he has played very well. He's 41...so what?  He is the only one playing well, and realistically the only one playing above replacement level.

So what? Anderson wants to be able to play the whole season and not get hurt AGAIN. recovery takes longer as you get older. Look how long it took him to return from injury last season. I seriously thought he would have retired after that injury. The amount of play time was the agreement that adams agreed to for Anderson to return this season. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I’d trade it all for a team on pace for 80

I actually wouldn't.

80 Point team isn't in the playoffs either, but 'under 80 point' scoring pace would put the team leaders in points close to what Cozens, Mitts, and VO are giving you (the next guys AFTER that top 4). 

I'll take the Sabres current 71 point pace WITH those top 4 guys putting up the numbers they way they are....rather than take 9 more regular season points (which is about one extra win every 5 weeks), still miss the playoffs, and not have any of the excitement those guys are bringing now.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I actually wouldn't.

80 Point team isn't in the playoffs either, but 'under 80 point' scoring pace would put the team leaders in points close to what Cozens, Mitts, and VO are giving you (the next guys AFTER that top 4). 

I'll take the Sabres current 71 point pace WITH those top 4 guys putting up the numbers they way they are....rather than take 9 more regular season points (which is about one extra win every 5 weeks), still miss the playoffs, and not have any of the excitement those guys are bringing now.

I knew I would get this response. It was a joke. About how the team is pacing poorly while individual players are not. I used 80 because *that is the number in the thread title*

Yes, we need more than 80. 

No, 71 point pace is not good either. There is no way to spin a sub .500 team that doesn’t even match the 15-16 total as anything other than a disappointing season overall for the rebuild. That’s not to say there wouldn’t be several noteworthy positives. Or that the build has failed. But the result in totality would be sub-par. It wouldn’t be the type of progress we’d want to see at this stage.

To a man, not a solitary soul around here was saying a finish in the 70s would be “acceptable”. No need for anyone to go revisionist (not saying you).

Edited by Thorny

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

I knew I would get this response. It was a joke. About how the team is pacing poorly while individual players are not. I used 80 because that is the number in the thread title.

Yes, we need more than 80. 

No, 71 point pace is not good either

To be honest, it is hard to tell if something like this is a joke or not unless the sarcasm is laid on REALLY thick.  There are times I read posts on here in the past and assumed they were jokes, only to engage and find out the person was really serious with their post.

5 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

To be honest, it is hard to tell if something like this is a joke or not unless the sarcasm is laid on REALLY thick.  There are times I read posts on here in the past and assumed they were jokes, only to engage and find out the person was really serious with their post.

It was truly just, “4 guys pacing for 80?! I’ll take a TEAM that can pace for 80, thank you very much. Amirite folks? Folks?” Nothing more. 

3 minutes ago, Toilet_Mop said:

None of them will get past 60 points 

Except for Tager

What do you think TT gets to? Considering Tuch and Skinner are glued to his hip, it would be difficult for neither to reach 60 if Thompson is banking 80+. 

I don’t even think Tuch has been very good and he’s point a game right now. 

Just now, Thorny said:

What do you think TT gets to? Considering Tuch and Skinner are glued to his hip, it would be difficult for neither to reach 60 if Thompson is banking 80+. 

I don’t even think Tuch has been very good and he’s point a game right now. 

42 G 

35 A 

77 Points 

They are glued to him now doesn't mean it can't/won't change

Skinner is all over the place points wise for his career

Tuch is solid but not a good point producer 

Skinner and Tuch will go cold. Tage, on the other hand, seems immune so far 

4 minutes ago, Toilet_Mop said:

42 G 

35 A 

77 Points 

They are glued to him now doesn't mean it can't/won't change

Skinner is all over the place points wise for his career

Tuch is solid but not a good point producer 

Skinner and Tuch will go cold. Tage, on the other hand, seems immune so far 

But they haven’t gone cold, yet. Tage, obviously, hasn’t either.

I guess I just question you logic that you could alter one of those variables without the other being significantly affected. 

Don’t see why their totals will drop off SEVERELY if Tage’s don’t, and if they do drop off, I think we’ll see that statistically reflected in Tage’s output. Unless they get moved off the line, ya. Just haven’t seen that much

Just now, Thorny said:

But they haven’t gone cold, yet. Tage, obviously, hasn’t either.

I guess I just question you logic that you could alter one of those variables without the other being significantly affected. 

I just told you why lol they could be taken off Tages line 

Certain guys (Tuch, Skinner) have certain celings in my opinion 

I was being mildly sarcastic when I wrote the none will get 60 points part 

Tuch 25 G 32 A 55 points, there's no way he gets 80 points 

Skinner 30 G 35 A 65 points, wont get 80 points 

Dahlin 15 G 49 A 64 points, ceiling is still unknown  

It's too bad the Tage line isn't our 2nd line would be the best in the league 

6 hours ago, matter2003 said:

EDIT:

Loved that era.

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It was truly just, “4 guys pacing for 80?! I’ll take a TEAM that can pace for 80, thank you very much. Amirite folks? Folks?” Nothing more. 

Again, Sarcasm is something on this board that is hard to detect becasue of just how serious some people can be with points that seem just, honestly absurd to me.

I honestly think there are probably people on this board that WOULD take a team that still misses the playoffs but gets 9-10 points more playing a Defensive minded, low scoring game.

5 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Again, Sarcasm is something on this board that is hard to detect becasue of just how serious some people can be with points that seem just, honestly absurd to me.

I honestly think there are probably people on this board that WOULD take a team that still misses the playoffs but gets 9-10 points more playing a Defensive minded, low scoring game.

I'd rather watch Krueger recite poetry.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I don't understand this you wouldn't take a team that has more overall points than last year? 

9 minutes ago, Toilet_Mop said:

I don't understand this you wouldn't take a team that has more overall points than last year? 

I’ll take a team that banks as many points as the amount of times you change your avatar 

Disclaimer 

*sarcasm* 

Edited by Thorny

7 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I’ll take a team that banks as many points as the amount of times you change your avatar 

Disclaimer 

*sarcasm* 

LOL 

Honestly I would take a team that had more points than last year. Obviously, I'd like them to make the playoffs this year and every year but improvement IS improvement. There's no disputing that. I have no idea what MJD is talking about 

12 minutes ago, Toilet_Mop said:

LOL 

Honestly I would take a team that had more points than last year. Obviously, I'd like them to make the playoffs this year and every year but improvement IS improvement. There's no disputing that. I have no idea what MJD is talking about 

I always see a little bit of Keanu in Doan, ymmv

- - - 

Imo, I was on record saying the bare minimum result that could be even *argued* to be a successful result is 82 points (and that was being nice) and the surpassing of the 15-16 total of 7 years ago, a total that Murray never surpassed, that, as a high-water mark, got him fired. It’s a .500 club. It’s not hard to do and this is the GM’s 3rd season, and it’s the second in the “new plan”, where we had 76 last year. 

I can’t see how failing to even improve by ~3 wins, when we are supposed to be seeing progress, could be deemed an acceptable result, especially considering it would be quite disingenuous to discount the fact people were, almost to a man, touting the finish and supposedly valuable sample size to end last season where they played WELL beyond an 82 point pace, as something that could/should carry over, at least somewhat. 

A 76 point finish, followed by, say, a 79 point finish, is more less treading water re:results and I think it’s ok to expect more progress than that. 

No, this isn’t the same as saying it would be indicative of a failed build and a need for KA to get canned 

Edited by Thorny

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

I always see a little bit of Keanu in Doan, ymmv

- - - 

Imo, I was on record saying the bare minimum result that could be even *argued* to be a successful result is 82 points (and that was being nice) and the surpassing of the 15-16 total of 7 years ago, a total that Murray never surpassed, that, as a high-water mark, got him fired. It’s a .500 club. It’s not hard to do and this is the GM’s 3rd season, and it’s the second in the “new plan”, where we had 76 last year. 

I can’t see how failing to even improve by ~3 wins, when we are supposed to be seeing progress, could be deemed an acceptable result, especially considering it would be quite disingenuous to discount the fact people were, almost to a man, touting the finish and supposedly valuable sample size to end last season where they played WELL beyond an 82 point pace, as something that could/should carry over, at least somewhat. 

If they miss the playoffs by 10 points or less I'd be happy with the improvement based off last year's team 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.