Owen Power Did Something Incredible Tonight

Brawndo

11 hours ago, Thorny said:

Seriously asking: 

Has anyone noticed that his helmet is always slightly tilted to the side? 

You would think that in this day and age of hockey technology, they would have come up with a way to deal with flow by now.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

EV means even strength and xGF is expected goals for. So they are looking at his xGF% (so xGF and xGA divided) which helps us understand what happens when Owen Power is on the ice. The short version is that in all the years they have data that attempts to count up expected goals, Owen Power last night finished with the highest xGF% divded by TOI (60min) of any player going back to 2007. 

"We were referencing his on-ice xGF (total xG of unblocked shots taken for Buffalo while Power was on the ice)."

While Owen Power is on the ice his team generates significantly more offense than they give up. xGA/xGF per 60 minutes of TOI. 

you have to divide. xGA/xGF

EDIT: Oh I see what you mean, idk about that. 

They were primarily looking at his xGF, not the xGF%. He had the highest xGF at even strength when he was on the ice of the past 15+ years, but he also let up a decent amount of chances. Of that list of the 10 highest xGF of the past 15 years, Power had the highest xGA, and the expected difference was the second lowest in the list.

22 hours ago, nucci said:

I can tell by watching if he has a good game or not

He was not incredible.  His game was just ok.  He was out there for that painful 4th Tampa goal though.  He was not good enough to overcome our 3rd line. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

He was not incredible.  His game was just ok.  He was out there for that painful 4th Tampa goal though.  He was not good enough to overcome our 3rd line. 

In glancing at the Twitter comments, it looks like even fellow analytics peeps cast shade on the incredulity. Still it's amazing to me that whatever concocted stat that was can be used to evaluate someone's night. These people know literally nothing about hockey.

13 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

In glancing at the Twitter comments, it looks like even fellow analytics peeps cast shade on the incredulity. Still it's amazing to me that whatever concocted stat that was can be used to evaluate someone's night. These people know literally nothing about hockey.

Yes and I’ve noticed that they totally ignore EG/STI.

• Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Do not misinterpret my comments, which are aimed more about describing his play as incredible on that night. 

I think Power is doing great.  He is hockey mature beyond his years.  He is patient and plays heads up hockey.  All that said, he did nothing incredible in that game.   He was his usual solid self.   

His great new statistic is nice - but incredible play to me means tangible plays that make the difference between winning and losing.  

I read through the thread.

This is a fun stat to contemplate.

The thing that I remember about Power from that game: How he panicked a bit at the very end of the game and needlessly turned a risky clearance into a 2-minute minor (from the replay, you could see that he had more time and space than he realized). The Sabres survived that power play, thankfully.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.