Trade to get Tokarski Back

JoeSchmoe

22 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Screw that. Trade to get an NHL caliber goalie.

True, but I was trying to keep it realistic.

KA isn't going to give up what it takes to get an NHL goalie... Especially not with his newly acquired Comrie on the shelf for now and Levi a potential flight risk if he sees a rough time getting in the lineup.

The individual sample sizes on each of our 3 goalies this season is too small to draw any conclusions on what they will do the rest of the way. Anderson is not likely to stay at .917 and if 6K continues to get games his performance is likely to improve at least a bit. Comrie post-injury? Who knows?  The cumulative group sample is big enough though to draw the conclusion that when Anderson plays they generally have a chance to win and when Luukkonen/Comrie are in, the Sabres are getting mostly sub-average goaltending. 

I know this is not a long term answer, but if 6K’s game does not stabilize in the next week then I would sign Houser to an NHL deal and bring him up.  Chances are he is not good enough, but what have you got to lose? He has given the Sabres 5 quality starts in 6 games the past 2 seasons. Why not give him a month of rotating with Anderson?  He is, frankly, a better minor league goalie than 6K or Subban. 

I don’t think the Sabres will consider a trade for a long-term goalie until after Levi is signed. Adams has put too many eggs in the Levi basket to allow acquiring a long-term established goalie solution to jeopardize a Levi signing. The best case scenario at this point, aside from an improbable 6K or Houser run, is that we sign Levi at season end and he goes to Rochester next season and then, with Levi signed, Adams signs a second Comrie-like UFA and combined with Comrie that UFA gives us tending that allows us to be in playoff contention.

Edited by Archie Lee
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

In Adams' mind, Comrie is the starter, Anderson is the backup. Both are keeping a spot warm for Levi. So as much as I'd really, really like to get a Shesterkin or a Vasilevskiy, it's not happening on this team.

I'd really like to settle for a proven NHL average starter, but that's not happening either- as long as Kevyn Adams and TP are in charge.

I do see them giving up relatively nothing for a #3 goalie to fill the void while Comrie's hurt... to which Tokarski may be the best option out there in our self imposed budget. 

And last night we actually win if Tokarski is in net as our #3 goalie.

Tokarski was not the answer but he was a better option to sign than Subban in my opinion.  Tokarski has limited talent but earned his keep in his time with the Sabres.  

Sad to see how this situation has turned out again this season.  We are left with hoping that Comrie somehow finds his game during his recovery time and that Levi signs at the end of the year and exceeds expectations by not needing a year in the AHL.  We need a better plan.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.