GDT - Thunder Bolts & Lightning @ Sabres - November 28, 2022 - 7:00 PM (EST) - MSG and WGR

Sabres Fan in NS

There was some minor questionable officiating at the end there, but nothing I'd get worked up to much about.

This team has offensive talent, the young forwards especially, are really progressing nicely. The defense and goaltending still need improvement, and while I know the rumor mill on chykrun is out there. If he improves the D, you pay the price to grab him imho.

As for goaltending......I got nothing, I just don't know if anything is out there that can elevate the position, I defer to you all.

That's my take is all. Good game.

This game didn't suck at all, it's another game in a long list where we are clearly icing HALF a good team. Where's @DarthEbriate....half a ship, amirite?

There are spots were we are no doubt about it, certifiably good enough, and other spots that so clearly need to be upgraded. It's the bad parts costing us: that's a good thing. Particularly in light of the recent intimations from Adams, if they can be believed, that he's made the identifications and is moving towards addressing the lineup now 

1 minute ago, Scottysabres said:

There was some minor questionable officiating at the end there, but nothing I'd get worked up to much about.

This team has offensive talent, the young forwards especially, are really progressing nicely. The defense and goaltending still need improvement, and while I know the rumor mill on chykrun is out there. If he improves the D, you pay the price to grab him imho.

As for goaltending......I got nothing, I just don't know if anything is out there that can elevate the position, I defer to you all.

That's my take is all. Good game.

Comrie was supposed to be a sneaky good signing but he has played meh at best other than opening night. Anderson has outplayed him. 

UPL is a joke and they have nobody else that should even be considered for the NHL.

3 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

You’re too kind.  He officiating was lopsided. 

Buffalo's penalties: Too Many Men (while on the PP) - sloppy. High sticking on Muel - obvious must call. Roughing on Dahlin (and 4-on-4 for the interference). Jost - Hooking. Power - Over the Glass. That's 4 of 5 penalties that are "must call" regardless of situation. If the Sabres are back-to-back-to-back Conference champions maybe they draw a hook or trip somewhere along the way. But once we were midway through the 3rd, the refs weren't going to call any make-ups. The Jost hook is odd, but everything else was deserved and is always called. Fix the PK and this game is a rout for Buffalo. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

This game didn't suck at all, it's another game in a long list where we are clearly icing HALF a good team. Where's @DarthEbriate....half a ship, amirite?

There are spots were we are no doubt about it, certifiably good enough, and other spots that so clearly need to be upgraded. It's the bad parts costing us: that's a good thing. Particularly in light of the recent intimations from Adams, if they can be believed, that he's made the identifications and is moving towards addressing the lineup now 

We were also missing fair officiating tonight. It was a bigger joke than our goaltending.

Just now, DarthEbriate said:

Buffalo's penalties: Too Many Men (while on the PP) - sloppy. High sticking on Muel - obvious must call. Roughing on Dahlin (and 4-on-4 for the interference). Jost - Hooking. Power - Over the Glass. That's 4 of 5 penalties that are "must call" regardless of situation. If the Sabres are back-to-back-to-back Conference champions maybe they draw a hook or trip somewhere along the way. But once we were midway through the 3rd, the refs weren't going to call any make-ups. The Jost hook is odd, but everything else was deserved and is always called. Fix the PK and this game is a rout for Buffalo. 

Yeah and while Jost was "hooking" he got high sticked in the face...no call of course.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, matter2003 said:

We were also missing fair officiating tonight. It was a bigger joke than our goaltending.

I disagree. Except in egregious situations Im not the blame the officials guy, and I didn't see this as close to egregious. Darth had a good breakdown above. 

We just played a game where we got like 10 PPs in a row, can't remember who it was against, but we had a parade of PPs. This stuff just happens 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

Just now, matter2003 said:

Comrie was supposed to be a sneaky good signing but he has played meh at best other than opening night. Anderson has outplayed him. 

UPL is a joke and they have nobody else that should even be considered for the NHL.

Houser is playing better this year. An embarrassingly bad option, but UPL has shown 0 progress in his development. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Gatorman0519 said:

2 wins in 12 games… I guess our progress is extra slow 

Adams thinks so

12 minutes ago, fiftyone said:

Everyone complaining about UPL but that last goal, Tuch has to know that it's three on three and you can't let Stamkos walk into the slot alone. Perfect shot by a hall of famer.

Six goals on 25 shots

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Now we're really picking up speed!

The Asplund-Mitts-VO line was dreadful tonight and overmatched against any cycling of the puck. They've been together at times last season, too, and... if they can get a transition breakout, fine. But the defense won't be there. UPL overcommitted side-to-side too much and TB's PP is red-hot to boot. Figure out a way to kill some penalties and they'll be OK.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

They missed calls going the other way.  

Edited by Pimlach

5 minutes ago, Goldseatsaud said:

Adams thinks so

Six goals on 25 shots

Does he? I think/hope he's looking to supplement, now, in the pursuit of greater progress

- - - 

Bolded would be a decent place to start, but I don't think we see a G addition in season. 

I pray we aren't waiting on Levi. I don't THINK we are, we at least took a swipe at the concept of Comrie 

Edited by Thorny

4 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

In the scrum at the net in which Dahlin got the penalty for roughing, while he was down on the other guy a Tampa player came in and gave UPL a shot to the face. No question that it was a penalty. 

It’s amazing to me how many times all five Sabres are looking at the puck on the ice in front of the net, and have no idea where opposing players are.

And on the game winner, why didn’t Dahlin go to the puck carrier and Tuch peel off to cover Stamkos. Not the greatest defense there. Of course, it would be nice to have the goalie make a stop there.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HumanSlinky39 said:

I had some hope for UPL, I thought he was pretty solid before getting hurt last season. But he's been pretty brutal. He looked like a total piker tonight. 

Our best hope is that the guy who SHOULD be easily blocking pucks given his size washing out gets paid back to us in the form of the littler guy who SHOULDN'T be easily blocking pucks...doing exactly that at the NHL level 

ala our Saros 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.