Sabres Put Riley Sheahan on Unconditional Waivers For the Purposes of Contract Termination

Brawndo

2 hours ago, inkman said:

I wonder what changed.  He played 6 games when they sent him down the first time. 

Jost.

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Don't know, but expect he feels he didn't get as fair a shake as he'd been led to believe he'd get.

I think he knows he's not really NHL material anymore and will probably sign to play in Europe.  This is just a step in that process.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

The penalty might've been the defining action when they decided whether to keep him up as the spare forward or somebody else.  

Seems Asplund is pretty much ready to be back.  Will be very interesting to see who comes out of the lineup joining Krebs in the pressbox.  2 other interesting things to watch, if all stay healthy, when does Krebs get back in the lineup (& who does he replace) and when Bryson is back, again, if they're all healthy, who goes down to Ra-cha-cha - Krebs, Pilut, Fitzgerald, or another F.

Won't be Fitz; he's not waiver exempt.

34 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

There goes my theory then.  Guess he thinks he stil is an NHL player then.

No, he knows he's not an NHLer anymore so it's time to play in Europe.

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

I can tell, since you don't even care enough about him to spell his name right.  It's Sheahan.

Why?  This is totally on Sheahan:

1. He's not good enough to stay on an NHL roster.
  2. He chose not to report to Rochester.

How are the Sabres responsible for either of these conditions?  They're not.  This is all on Sheahan.

cause the Sabres signed him. 

16 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Looks great on the organization when the scrubs want out. 

Excellent work by KA on this one. 

Lol. Buffalo could trade a 7th round pick in 2098 for McDavid and you'd still find a way to bitch about the move. 

My guess, is Sheahan asked out cuz he wants to try and get on an nhl team and Adams was like,  we understand. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Won't be Fitz; he's not waiver exempt.

No, he knows he's not an NHLer anymore so it's time to play in Europe.

Neither is Pilut.

The expectation is it'll be Krebs sent down if the skaters are all healthy, but they've avoided that to date.  Earlier in the year when all were healthy they ran w/ only 7 D, so it'll be interesting to see who goes down.

Edited by Taro T

17 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I do actually. A lot of these players are friends with each other (even lowly ones like Sheehan) and the agents talk to each other and every disgruntled player matters to a team's image. There's a long list of disgruntled veterans playing in the league right now, many for better teams, a few logging big minutes, and not a one of them was happy here or did well. They are all happier elsewhere. It matters. 

So what are the Sabres supposed to do?  Keep him on the active roster even tho he isn't good enough to be up here so as not to get a "bad rep"?  I doubt he is making an NHL roster, there is a reason why he was available in the first place.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

cause the Sabres signed him. 

I don’t understand your take at all.

Sabres sign Sheahan.  Players around the league shrug.

Sabres start season with mediocre results.  Players around the league shrug.

Sabres claim player off waivers that will marginally improve team talent.  Players around the league shrug.

Sabres waive Sheahan because Jost pushes him one slot further down the lineup.  Players understand that every one of them is at risk of this happening to them eventually.

Sheahan refuses to report to AHL and Sabres agree to release him from his contract.  Players- yep, teams will do that.

I don’t see any possible way this reflects badly on Buffalo.  Sheahan signed a 2 way deal, was displaced by the addition of a more talented player, he’s waived and sent down, refuses to report, Sabres release him.  All of these were common, standard transactions.  No promises were broken (it was a 2 way deal afterall).  Noone was treated unfairly.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You're right. Forgot about them.

I didn't.  But do you really think that

1. The Toronto organEYEzation even wants him?
  2. That playing for the Marlies is substantively better than playing for the Amerks? 

If you're talking about "close to home" and his home is his hometown of St. Catherines, TO is a little over an hour away; Rochester is an hour and a half.  Do you think being a half hour closer is *that* important to him?  Because I can't imagine him even having a shot of playing time with the Leafs unless they have a huge rash of injuries.

Edited by Doohickie

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

So what are the Sabres supposed to do?  Keep him on the active roster even tho he isn't good enough to be up here so as not to get a "bad rep"?  I doubt he is making an NHL roster, there is a reason why he was available in the first place.

Of course because then the narrative can be they are giving Sheahan ice time even though he isn't good enough because the sabres aren't prioritizing winning. Once you realize the goal here is to ***** talk the team and disagree with everything they do because you are mad at them, it all becomes really simple and clear. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, Weave said:

I don’t understand your take at all.

Sabres sign Sheahan.  Players around the league shrug.

Sabres start season with mediocre results.  Players around the league shrug.

Sabres claim player off waivers that will marginally improve team talent.  Players around the league shrug.

Sabres waive Sheahan because Jost pushes him one slot further down the lineup.  Players understand that every one of them is at risk of this happening to them eventually.

Sheahan refuses to report to AHL and Sabres agree to release him from his contract.  Players- yep, teams will do that.

I don’t see any possible way this reflects badly on Buffalo.  Sheahan signed a 2 way deal, was displaced by the addition of a more talented player, he’s waived and sent down, refuses to report, Sabres release him.  All of these were common, standard transactions.  No promises were broken (it was a 2 way deal afterall).  Noone was treated unfairly.

Alternatively, Sheahan refuses to report and the Sabres suspend him, leaving him in limbo without pay or the ability to find playing time elsewhere. Player eyebrows around the league raise.

50 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I didn't.  But do you really think that

1. The Toronto organEYEzation even wants him?
  2. That playing for the Marlies is substantively better than playing for the Amerks? 

If you're talking about "close to home" and his home is his hometown of St. Catherines, TO is a little over an hour away; Rochester is an hour and a half.  Do you think being a half hour closer is *that* important to him?  Because I can't imagine him even having a shot of playing time with the Leafs unless they have a huge rash of injuries.

1.  Probably not.

2. Probably not.

No cross boarder issues staying in Canada.

I really doubt that the AHL has anything to do with this.  He has played in the AHL for much of his pro career.  I think that either he will play in Europe or he has decided to call it a career.

Best wishes to him regardless.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.