Sabres Put Riley Sheahan on Unconditional Waivers For the Purposes of Contract Termination

Brawndo

• Brawndo changed the title to Sabres Put Riley Sheahan on Unconditional Waivers For the Purposes of Contract Termination
1 minute ago, tom webster said:

Do you seriously think anyone other than his family cares what Riley Sheehan thinks?

I do actually. A lot of these players are friends with each other (even lowly ones like Sheehan) and the agents talk to each other and every disgruntled player matters to a team's image. There's a long list of disgruntled veterans playing in the league right now, many for better teams, a few logging big minutes, and not a one of them was happy here or did well. They are all happier elsewhere. It matters. 

15 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I do actually. A lot of these players are friends with each other (even lowly ones like Sheehan) and the agents talk to each other and every disgruntled player matters to a team's image. There's a long list of disgruntled veterans playing in the league right now, many for better teams, a few logging big minutes, and not a one of them was happy here or did well. They are all happier elsewhere. It matters. 

A long list? I would venture to guess, without looking it up, they are no different than any other franchise when it comes to that. Las Vegas, supposedly the new model franchise, has a few “respected” players pissed off at how they were treated.

You also have no idea what is going with this move. He could have realized he no longer had it to play in the NHL and asked for a way out.

Edited by tom webster
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Looks great on the organization when the scrubs want out. 

Excellent work by KA on this one. 

You have to be joking. Sheahan is a dummy, and he looks like a quitter. The Sabres signed him to a 2 way deal, told him he very well may end up being a veteran leader in Rochester. And the Sabres did exactly what they said, and this loser bailed on the team. Good riddance. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

40 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

He’s clearly looking to get out of an AHL assignment.  No doubt he chose to sign here believing he had at least the 13th forward spot locked up.  I’m sure he’s regretting signing somewhere that results in an AHL assignment.

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

3 minutes ago, tom webster said:

A long list? I would venture to guess, without looking it up, they are no different than any other franchise when it comes to that. Las Vegas, supposedly the new model franchise, has a few “respected” players pissed off at how they were treated.

You also have no idea what is going with this move. He could have realized he no longer had it to play in the NHL and asked for a way out.

This could actually be an example of the Sabres doing right by a player.  A positive story in the eyes of other players across the league.

Maybe Sheahan realized that he was unlikely to get more NHL time going forward, and wants to maximize his earnings in the last 3-4 years of his pro hockey career.  Maybe his agent is telling him that there is a $500-600k contract for him in the Swiss League.

I don’t know.  We’ll probably hear more on this in the near future.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

42 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Do you seriously think anyone other than his family cares what Riley Sheehan thinks?

9 minutes ago, Curt said:

This could actually be an example of the Sabres doing right by a player.  A positive story in the eyes of other players across the league.

Maybe Sheahan realized that he was unlikely to get more NHL time going forward, and wants to maximize his earnings in the last 3-4 years of his pro hockey career.  Maybe his agent is telling him that there is a $500-600k contract for him in the Swiss League.

^ that’s why I’m thinking. Sheehan probably thought he’d be playing more and prob asked to explore options elsewhere. 

Granted. 

Edited by Thorny

12 minutes ago, Curt said:

Absolutely.  He thought enough of his own talent to believe he was, in a worst case, the Sabres 13th best forward.  Turns out, he isn't.  He was wrong, & is unhappy with where he's now at.  Adams has been VERY vocal in stating that if a player doesn't want to be here, he doesn't want him.  This is just walking that talk and giving Sheahan an opportunity to go where he wants to be (presuming those controlling that location actually want him, not a given at this point).

Edited by Taro T
The autocorrect to Bern might've been prophetic. 😉

It's also possible this move was a precursor to a move for a player giving up picks/unsigned prospects.  The Sabres were at 48 contracts w/ Sheahan.  Levi will take up 1 slot in March/April, leaving them only 1 to work with.  Now they have another open contract slot.

Gives Sheahan his opportunity to find another NHL (or higher paying than the AHL Euro) job & the Sabres more flexibility on finding a guy that does fit the plan.  Win-win.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

It's a pretty big pay cheque to just want to walk away from. I couldn't care less about Sheehan, but it doesn't look good for Buffalo imo regardless. 

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Don’t think he forfeits the $

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-waiver-rules/

https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/sabres-move-to-terminate-riley-sheahans-contract-for-declining-to-join-amerks/article_17fb828e-6e79-11ed-b9c6-e3c98fe64f7e.html

Since Sheahan refused to go back to the Amerks, like Bogo did a few years ago, the Sabres can use this process to terminate his contract and only owe up to the date he was placed on waivers.  This makes Sheahan a UFA and he can re-sign elsewhere.

• Thanks (+1) 3

36 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

It's a pretty big pay cheque to just want to walk away from. I couldn't care less about Sheehan, but it doesn't look good for Buffalo imo regardless. 

When they wouldn’t let Jack have his choice surgery, all vets around the league raised an eyebrow. But, when Sheahan wanted out, rumors quickly spread across all vets in the league and filled them with scorn. 

39 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

So exactly what were we supposed to do, he refused to report to Rochester after signing a 2 way contract with us and being beat out by multiple other players. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.