Are The Sabres A Dark Horse Contender for Jakob Chychrun?

Brawndo

11 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

How you feel about this trade being proposed by Yotes fans?

Don't know enough about Vejmelka, other than he's played well in Buffalo, to say.  Don't like trading an unprotected 1st.  

Trade is essentially 2 players the fanbase hates & a 1st & 2nd a year out for D help & G help on reasonable deals which are the Sabres 2 biggest needs.

Creates a ST hole at C should there be injuries but it strengthens the D & sends UPL back where he seems to be destined.  

11 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

I have no idea who Karel is, but it's too much to pay.  Mitts or VO, RJ and a 2nd.  Not trading our first in 2023 or 2024 just in case.  I am not sure Jakob is the answer for the Sabres either, but he might only be here a relatively short while.

Karel is a 2nd year NHL goalie who is 26. He’s started 16 games this season for the Coyotes and has a .912 save percentage, 3.03 GAA, and is 6-7-3. His backup, Ingram is 1-6-1 with a .866 save percentage and a 4.57 GAA. Karel is a solid goalie on a bad team, and could give us Anderson level goaltending without needing Anderson level workload. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Don't know enough about Vejmelka, other than he's played well in Buffalo, to say.  Don't like trading an unprotected 1st.  

Trade is essentially 2 players the fanbase hates & a 1st & 2nd a year out for D help & G help on reasonable deals which are the Sabres 2 biggest needs.

Creates a ST hole at C should there be injuries but it strengthens the D & sends UPL back where he seems to be destined.  

It seems we could pick up 2 forwards on the waiver wire and get similar on ice results.  

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

I think they could find a 2C for the PP whether internally (Jost?) or in another deal.  I’d just double shift Tage or Cozens until then.  

Just now, sabresparaavida said:

Karel is a 2nd year NHL goalie who is 26. He’s started 16 games this season for the Coyotes and has a .912 save percentage, 3.03 GAA, and is 6-7-3. His backup, Ingram is 1-6-1 with a .866 save percentage and a 4.57 GAA. Karel is a solid goalie on a bad team, and could give us Anderson level goaltending without needing Anderson level workload. 

Thanks.

In that case ... NS is all in for this deal, except for the 1st in 2023.  Make it a second and get it done KA.

30 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

How you feel about this trade being proposed by Yotes fans?

The 1st needs to be top-10 protected.  Otherwise, because it makes me squirm a little (forward depth is where?), it is probably fair and I would do it.

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

The 1st needs to be top-10 protected.  Otherwise, because it makes me squirm a little (forward depth is where?), it is probably fair and I would do it.

Lets talk this trade through.

Chychrun and Vejmalka (G) for Mitts, VO, Ryan Johnson and a top 10 protected 1st.  

1) With the depth of this draft, I sincerely doubt KA would trade the 1st without some protection. 

2) Vejmalka would be a nice addition, but he is the AZ started and he was recently extended for 3 years.  I doubt he'd be included in the deal.  If he was included what happens to Comrie or Anderson this season?

3) Including Mitts and VO diminishes our forward depth significantly despite their difficult play of late.  It would certainly give them more opportunity higher in the lineup and AZ would probably flip VO at the deadline for more assets. However for us, it would mean Asplund and Vinnie would be fixtures in the lineup and the first call ups would be Bjork, Rousek and Weissbach.  It would opens opportunities from Savoie and a few others next season.  I can see AZ insisting on Mitts in the deal and he is expendable because of the growth of Cozens and having Jost and Krebs here and Savoie and Kulich coming.

4) On defense adding Chychrun would be a huge help.  It would push Bryson (once Bush is healthy) to the bench.  I suspect AZ would want a D from us to replace Chychrun in the lineup.

I think some of the principals in the deal are good.  Chychrun, plus for Mitts, plus another roster player, plus a protected 1st and....

I think I'd structure the deal Chychrun, Boyd (or Bjugstad), and a D prospect for Mitts, Bryson, Ryan Johnson & a conditional protected 1st in 2023 and Bishop's contract.  The condition is if we are draft 1-10, we keep the 2023 1st and AZ gets our 3rd in 2023 and our 1st in 2024.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Thanks (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Chychrun and Vejmalka (G) for Mitts, VO, Ryan Johnson and a top 10 protected 1st.  

1) With the depth of this draft, I sincerely doubt KA would trade the 1st without some protection. 

2) Vejmalka would be a nice addition, but he is the AZ started and he was recently extended for 3 years.  I doubt he'd be included in the deal.  If he was included what happens to Comrie or Anderson this season?

3) Including Mitts and VO diminishes our forward depth significantly despite their difficult play of late.  It would certainly give them more opportunity higher in the lineup and AZ would probably flip VO at the deadline for more assets. However for us, it would mean Asplund and Vinnie would be fixtures in the lineup and the first call ups would be Bjork, Rousek and Weissbach.  It would opens opportunities from Savoie and a few others next season.  I can see AZ insisting on Mitts in the deal and he is expendable because of the growth of Cozens and having Jost and Krebs here and Savoie and Kulich coming.

4) On defense adding Chychrun would be a huge help.  It would push Bryson (once Bush is healthy) to the bench.  I suspect AZ would want a D from us to replace Chychrun in the lineup.

I think some of the principals in the deal are good.  Chychrun, plus for Mitts, plus another roster player, plus a protected 1st and....

I think I'd structure the deal Chychrun, Boyd (or Bjugstad), and a D prospect for Mitts, Bryson, Ryan Johnson & a conditional protected 1st in 2023 and Bishop's contract.  The condition is if we are draft 1-10, we keep the 2023 1st and AZ gets our 3rd in 2023 and our 1st in 2024.

Expect the fan that proposed the deal figures AZ also wants of bit of tank protection which is why Vejmelka was included.

• Like (+1) 1

If we trade for a goalie what do we do with Anderson and Comrie? UPL is easy, he can be sent down to Rochester. There is zero chance Adams would waive Anderson this year (out of veteran respect) nor is he going do anything with the FA goalie he targeted this off-season.

I'd only do one of VO or Mitts and that 1st round pick would have to be a 2nd.  I'm struggling to decide who provides more value for the Sabres, Mitts or VO.

Just now, Mustache of God said:

If we trade for a goalie what do we do with Anderson and Comrie? UPL is easy, he can be sent down to Rochester. There is zero chance Adams would waive Anderson this year (out of veteran respect) nor is he going do anything with the FA goalie he targeted this off-season.

I'd only do one of VO or Mitts and that 1st round pick would have to be a 2nd.  I'm struggling to decide who provides more value for the Sabres, Mitts or VO.

Anderson suffers a mysterious tweak in practice & goes on IR.  If Comrie or other goalie get hurt in 1st week of Andy's IR stint then UPL gets one more crack at backup until the 7th day has passed when Anderson miraculously recovers. He wouldn't be on LTIR, so nobody would be all that upset at the "blatant circumvision" of the 23 player limit.

31 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I wonder if just improving 3 LHD with Chychrun would be enough to pare down our woes in the defencive zone; i.e., do we really need Vemejlka in the deal?

I suspect Ryan Johnson is of limited value because he can just walk at the end of the season.

I also think that we can't expect Arizona to send us much besides Chychrun.  I can't see them parting with any prospect, no matter how much of a longshot they are.

20 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Anderson suffers a mysterious tweak in practice & goes on IR.  If Comrie or other goalie get hurt in 1st week of Andy's IR stint then UPL gets one more crack at backup until the 7th day has passed when Anderson miraculously recovers. He wouldn't be on LTIR, so nobody would be all that upset at the "blatant circumvision" of the 23 player limit.

And then what ??

2 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I wonder if just improving 3 LHD with Chychrun would be enough to pare down our woes in the defencive zone; i.e., do we really need Vemejlka in the deal?

I suspect Ryan Johnson is of limited value because he can just walk at the end of the season.

I also think that we can't expect Arizona to send us much besides Chychrun.  I can't see them parting with any prospect, no matter how much of a longshot they are.

Ryan Johnson’s trade value is at least a late 2nd in 2024.  That’s the compensation a team gets if he walks.

8 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Was going to say until they start focusing on playing less of an all out attacking style they'll continue to give up high danger chances.  A good goalie will cover more ills than a better D-man, but then thought about where the 5v5 goals are coming from.

Still will say a goalie would do more.  But upgrading w/ a 4 knocking at least the 7 out of the lineup & hopefully soon the 6 as Lyubushkin recovers, would reduce the goals given up off of breakouts.  It wouldn't help THAT much w/ transition goals & they already don't seem to give up THAT many cycle goals, so it wouldn't really help all that much there either.  But, yeah, the D upgrade would help some, & w/ this offense maybe that's enough?

43 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Expect the fan that proposed the deal figures AZ also wants of bit of tank protection which is why Vejmelka was included.

They are tanking even with the goalie.  I’m not sure they’ll be able to replace him next season if they move him. After all we are still searching after losing Ullmark.  

Johnson’s value right now is at least the 2nd rd pick we’d get if he walks. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, thewookie1 said:

Would need protection on that 1st or it downgraded

I'd offer Jakob Chychrun and Karel Vejmelka for Mitts, UPL, Ryan Johnson, and our highest and lowest 2nd in 2023.

I really don’t think AZ will do a deal that doesn’t bring back a first rounder in 2023.  

16 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

They are tanking even with the goalie.  I’m not sure they’ll be able to replace him next season if they move him. After all we are still searching after losing Ullmark.  

Johnson’s value right now is at least the 2nd rd pick we’d get if he walks. 

Shh, not so loud.  Maybe the Yotes haven't noticed.  (That fan certainly hasn't.) 😉

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I really don’t think AZ will do a deal that doesn’t bring back a first rounder in 2023.  

Well this deal would bring them back the 31st pick.  That's 1st round, right?  😉

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.