Are The Sabres A Dark Horse Contender for Jakob Chychrun?

Brawndo

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Based on Jeff Marek’s Comments on Saturday, it appears Adams feels the Sabres are ready to take the next step by adding veterans to their young core, so I would imagine that Sabres Timeline is much sooner. 

Ok, I'll bite. Then why didn't they claim a veteran defenseman when the whole D was hurt? They clearly needed and still need some support there and what was available really can't be worse than what we were calling up and we don't really have any D prospects in Rochester to block anyway.

It just feels like there's incongruity there.

Whatever. 

• Agree 2

25 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

2 firsts? No thanks.

I'd offer Mittlestadt, Ryan Johnson (rights), and a 2nd.

OK, but then you’re not getting him — which is fine if you don’t want Chychrun enough to part with any real assets — but if you do, you know very well that “trade our lower tier assets for someone else’s really good player” isn’t reality.  

• Like (+1) 2

I would absolutely offer Krebs as part of a package for Chykrun.  Id offer Mitts too but I doubt AZ has any interest in him due to age and contract status.

And I think we have plenty of forward depth in the pipeline to offer one of our farmhands.

Krebs, one of our prospects,  and a top 10 protected first?  I don’t know if AZ bites on that, likely depends on the specific prospect.   I’m not terribly fussy about which one.  Obviously you start the negotiations low, but We are loaded with youth at forward.  I think we’re at a time where it makes sense to cash in on what we have to fill some very specific needs.

Regardless of price what would the Sabres be getting and where would he fit in the lineup?

He has size and has good offensive instincts.  We certainly can use the size and the added transition.  He is a L shoot D, who can play the right side as well.  He has also often being injured in his career.  Given the Sabres recent luck with D injuries is this a risk we even want to take?

So lets assume for arguments sake that KA actually makes the deal.  Where does he play?  Does he replace Jokiharju as Power's linemate or does he anchor the 3rd pairing and play with Lyubushkin?

If they plan is to upgrade Bryson, then the price is way to high.  If the plan is to demote Joki to play with Lyubushkin, then the price is ok, but I'm not a fan of the D pairings being L/L, L/L, R/R.  

Back in 2011 when Burns (along with a 2nd) was traded, he had established himself as a superior offensive D with 17g 29a the year he was traded.  SJ gave up Setagochi (a former 8th overall pick) with 3 decent seasons under his belt, Charlie Coyle, a top prospect and a 1st rd pick.  Chychrun has had one season similar to Burns, but has mostly been a 20-25 pt player.  He isn't worth 3 major pieces, but if 3 pieces are what they need, a lottery protected 1st in 2023, Krebs and Bryson.  If they want more, a 2nd rd pick needs to be coming back like in the Burns deal.

• Agree 2

43 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Regardless of price what would the Sabres be getting and where would he fit in the lineup?

He has size and has good offensive instincts.  We certainly can use the size and the added transition.  He is a L shoot D, who can play the right side as well.  He has also often being injured in his career.  Given the Sabres recent luck with D injuries is this a risk we even want to take?

So lets assume for arguments sake that KA actually makes the deal.  Where does he play?  Does he replace Jokiharju as Power's linemate or does he anchor the 3rd pairing and play with Lyubushkin?

If they plan is to upgrade Bryson, then the price is way to high.  If the plan is to demote Joki to play with Lyubushkin, then the price is ok, but I'm not a fan of the D pairings being L/L, L/L, R/R.  

Back in 2011 when Burns (along with a 2nd) was traded, he had established himself as a superior offensive D with 17g 29a the year he was traded.  SJ gave up Setagochi (a former 8th overall pick) with 3 decent seasons under his belt, Charlie Coyle, a top prospect and a 1st rd pick.  Chychrun has had one season similar to Burns, but has mostly been a 20-25 pt player.  He isn't worth 3 major pieces, but if 3 pieces are what they need, a lottery protected 1st in 2023, Krebs and Bryson.  If they want more, a 2nd rd pick needs to be coming back like in the Burns deal.

I think thats a more fair deal but I dont think that is what Arizona wants which is why Chyrchun hasn't been moved. 

13 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I think thats a more fair deal but I dont think that is what Arizona wants which is why Chyrchun hasn't been moved. 

The way this will end is a hockey pundit will state that a trade with another team is imminent and will leak the return, and then one of the Islanders, Kings, Blue Jackets or Sabres will pony up something very close to that and land Chychrun.  Kind of like what Kevyn did to move Eichel.

6 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I've heard this argument forever and it doesn't hold water.  Lyubushkin signed here. Comrie signed here. Tuch was thrilled to get traded here.  Okposo wanted to be here.  Vinnie wanted to stay etc....  

The Sabres have three major things going for them.  Money, opportunity, and proximity to Canada.  They also have a coach players respect and a talented young team with guys like Power, Dahlin, Tuch, Tnt who other players want to play with. 

If KA had seriously wanted to find 1 or 2 more veteran D to play a depth role here he'd have found them.  

In addition, there has been and always will be a trade market.  Sometimes you have to acquire someone outside free agency or the draft to fill roster holes.  KA knew full well that Fitz and Pilut were not adequate depth.  

I agree with the bold, as most players do not have no trade clauses, but what will be said is that KA is artificially granting one to all who speak up re: wanting guys who are dying to be Buffalo Sabres

3 hours ago, Marvin said:

I can't trade the equivalent of 3 firsts unless I am getting a fully healthy Larry Robinson in his prime.  Chychrun is good, but he is oft-injured and not as good as I would want at that price.

Wait , we’re still counting Mitts as a “1st equivalent”? 

19 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I thought this was common  knowledge that he was neighbors and best friends with the kids..

Yet the dad didn't want him for free .

That tells me they will never trade for him 

Best friends with the kids?  Never heard that one before.  Just that they went to the same school and knew each other.

Also, I think you are extrapolating too much from the fact that they didn’t draft him.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Your only modification to my trade is removing JJP for Krebs

2023 Lottery Protected 1st, Östlund, Krebs instead of JJP (I don't think Arizona does this), and a 2nd in 2023 (probably the middle 2nd).

Really quickly, Krebs being a 1st round pick is somewhat irrelevant right now. Again though, this is the reported asking price, are ppl willing to pay that for Chychrun?

Those are the key words though. Risk is involved and Arizona is rebuilding. 

That’s a huge modification.    I’ll fight Adams if he even thinks of trading JJ! 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Yes and in any deal, but obviously the better or more potential the forward the higher the price.   Obviously Dahlin, Power and Samuelsson are also unavailable.

So Tuch for example is off the table for you. Not just functionally, but literally? Anyone calls on Tuch it’s an immediate hang up? Robertson for JJ: “no thanks”? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.