Are The Sabres A Dark Horse Contender for Jakob Chychrun?

Brawndo

51 minutes ago, Curt said:

I get the impression that Tim Murray didn’t make it easy to speak up and voice your opinion if you didn’t agree with him.

I cannot get into details, but Murray supposedly did listen to someone on a certain player at the draft and passed on them. 

It was a mistake.

10 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

I'd offer Östlund, Jokiharju, Mitts and our 2nd in 2023 but our 1sts are off limits 

Too much.   Two 1's and a 1 player should get this done.  

Östlund is a 1 + (Mitts or Joker) +  offer a 2nd in 2023, but settle on a protected 1 in 2024.  

Losing Mitts will hurt in the near term (but we have Savioe and the kid in Roch).  Losing Joker means losing an RHD, which we should want to keep.  

Edited by Pimlach

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Last year was His Worse Year Analytically in a while, the previous two years He was fantastic. 

I imagine it would be Top 15 protected, Östlund and Olofsson or Bishop’s Deal as Arizona needs to stay above the cap. 
Olofsson is more attractive as they could retain 50% and flip Him at the deadline. The Coyotes could probably get a First for Him with another year left on His Deal.

Chychrun wasn’t the one who got away in that draft. 
After the First Round was over Jerry Forton was walking to the Sabres Suite, when He passed a recently drafted prospect, who said “Jerry, I thought for sure the Sabres were going to take me”  That prospect was Charlie McAvoy. 

Forton later said, I should have been more insistent at the final draft meetings. 
That You should have Jerry. 

Wow.  And Boston got him, a double whammy to us.  

26 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Mittelstadt isn't a player and sub in Bryson for Jokijaru and I'm there.  But Adams won't part with picks or prospects so forget about it.

If Mitts isn’t a player, I’m not sure how to categorize Bryson, as he’s infinitely less talented than Casey.  Not that I think that highly of Mittlestadt.  He seems a lot like a forward version of Risto.  Looks the part, plays like idiot. 

• Haha (+1) 1

From the Lance Lysowski Article 

Sabres General Manager Kevyn Adams declined to discuss Chychrun when asked by The Buffalo News on Sunday, but Adams reiterated that he’s always seeking ways to improve his roster in the short- and long-term

“I guess what I would say to that is my job is to talk to every team and look at every possible situation of how we can move our roster forward and move our organization forward,” Adams said. “So, I'm not doing my job if I'm not having those discussions, and, you know, like anything, you're always going to be looking at what you can do. But there's certain things that, for me, we can't get away from our plan in the way we are building this.

“If something makes sense and it's within our vision and our plan, we would be willing to do it. But if it gets us outside of that, that's where we'd have to be very careful.”

• Thanks (+1) 1

Adams has been keeping his powder dry for the right player at the right time.

Chychrun is 24 and fills a need, now and 5 years from now. He fits.

Recent comps:

• Alexander Romanov went for pick #13
  • Hampus Lindholm (pending UFA) for a late 1st and 2 2nds
  • Seth Jones for (more or less) Adam Boqvist and two high 1sts
  • Rasmus Ristolainen for a 1st and a 2nd

• Thanks (+1) 1

The question becomes, what do we expect the best non-Sabres offer to be?

He's got 2 more years on his deal, but the Yotes aren't going to be trying to win during that time, so figure he's leaving on July 1, 2025, so though the Yotes don't have to trade him he'll relatively soon have no value at all.

The floor for the deal is what do they see 2-1/2 years of his play being worth staying in the desert.  The almost ceiling of what they'll get is that "2nd best deal."  Expect that is higher than that floor as they WANT to lose now & can't sell any more tix until they move to a different barn so that floor is pretty low, so that's what the Sabres needed to beat.  @dudacek's post should be a pretty good proxy for that 2nd best deal.  A non-lottery protected 1st (or lightly protected, say top 5) & the Sabres best or 2nd best 2nd rounder looks to be pretty comparable.  (With the best 2nd being a part of the package if the 1st slides & the 2nd best if it comes this year.)  Those pieces would be coming into the NHL on the Yotes schedule to rejoin the NHL.  The Q becomes, again, is that better than the 2nd best offer.

24 minutes ago, Taro T said:

The question becomes, what do we expect the best non-Sabres offer to be?

He's got 2 more years on his deal, but the Yotes aren't going to be trying to win during that time, so figure he's leaving on July 1, 2025, so though the Yotes don't have to trade him he'll relatively soon have no value at all.

I don't think that's true. If you look at the Lindholm deal and even the Risto deal they still moved for substantial assets. I believe the Lindholm deal involved an agreed re-signing with Boston but Chychrun could get that too. 

I would not give up a 2023 1st. Draft is too good. That Philly 2nd would be as high as I'd go for 2023. They want Krebs or Mitts or Rosen or a 2024 in the package sure.

I am wondering however, if the rumors are possibly because a pending deal is a 3 way and Buffalo will take on salary or a player so that some top team can fit him under the cap for this season. he doesn't make tons for a D man but most top teams don't even have that much room for this year. Boston for example was kicking the tires on him earlier but they have no space at all. Something would have to give, and maybe that's the only reason Buffalo has entered the rumor mill. Just a thought.  

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I don't think that's true. If you look at the Lindholm deal and even the Risto deal they still moved for substantial assets. I believe the Lindholm deal involved an agreed re-signing with Boston but Chychrun could get that too. 

I would not give up a 2023 1st. Draft is too good. That Philly 2nd would be as high as I'd go for 2023. They want Krebs or Mitts or Rosen or a 2024 in the package sure.

I am wondering however, if the rumors are possibly because a pending deal is a 3 way and Buffalo will take on salary or a player so that some top team can fit him under the cap for this season. he doesn't make tons for a D man but most top teams don't even have that much room for this year. Boston for example was kicking the tires on him earlier but they have no space at all. Something would have to give, and maybe that's the only reason Buffalo has entered the rumor mill. Just a thought.  

I kind of doubt it, because Adams has shown pretty much zero inclination to take on dead money unless it’s just for one season to reach the cap floor.  I think it’s highly unlikely that the the Sabres would take on dead money for 3 seasons.

I think it’s more likely that they actually trade for Chychrun.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, inkman said:

If Mitts isn’t a player, I’m not sure how to categorize Bryson, as he’s infinitely less talented than Casey.  Not that I think that highly of Mittlestadt.  He seems a lot like a forward version of Risto.  Looks the part, plays like idiot. 

They both suck.  One of them had the respect for the league to do a pullup.  But they both suck.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

From the Lance Lysowski Article 

This is a whole lot of nothing he’s saying here, but frankly it’s just really positive to me they are seriously considering the improvement. At THIS stage. An overall unwillingness to deal and supplement because you want to manage expectations for now, and potentially going forward, hoarding picks and prospects in the name of endless development years is one thing, but determining the deal to be an unreasonable value proposition and declining for that reason is obviously the right call.

I hope it gets done but the rumours themselves create a good connotation in my mind for where KA’s mindset is at 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

On July 1, 2025 he has ZERO value to the Yotes.  That is a fact.  That you don't consider it "relatively soon" doesn't alter that.  And, IMHO, teams would be willing to give up more for him now than they would in July '24 or even July '23 so for a team that wants to lose in the near term he'll never have more value for them than he does today in a package of prospects &/or picks.  Does that mean the Sabres would have to add a prospect to the package?  Maybe, don't know.  Hadn't put a ton of thought into it and again whatever the Sabres would have to give up to land Chychrun is slightly more than the 2nd best deal the Yotes are offered.  Which was the main point of the post.  People tend to look at trades in a tunnel between just the 2 trading parties, but the 3rd team is the one that really sets the value & the trade parameters.

Edited by Taro T
Typos.

4 minutes ago, Justin C said:

My favorite thing about these trade rumor posts is seeing players that posters constantly criticize get thrown into these deals like the other team would just take them and doesn’t see what we all see.

We’re always pulling fast ones on GM’s eh, it’s true. It’s cause we all know more than they do, duh 

hopefully there isn’t a GM reading this RIGHT NOW 

Edited by Thorny

30 minutes ago, Thorny said:

This is a whole lot of nothing he’s saying here, but frankly it’s just really positive to me they are seriously considering the improvement. At THIS stage. An overall unwillingness to deal and supplement because you want to manage expectations for now, and potentially going forward, hoarding picks and prospects in the name of endless development years is one thing, but determining the deal to be an unreasonable value proposition and declining for that reason is obviously the right call.

I hope it gets done but the rumours themselves create a good connotation in my mind for where KA’s mindset is at 

It would do wonders for probably half the fan base if KA can show he can walk and chew gum at the same time.

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.