Trade targets

sweetlou

18 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I'd hate to trade any of our picks or young players but I hate not having a real NHL goalie. Trading away a second round pick for a good goaltender who might not be around a long time might be acceptable 

I hate having 3 disasters on D filling the 5-7 roles.  

• Agree 2

25 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I'd hate to trade any of our picks or young players but I hate not having a real NHL goalie. Trading away a second round pick for a good goaltender who might not be around a long time might be acceptable 

Pretty sure that it’s been mentioned before, but what about Bobrovsky?  It’s probably an offseason deal, and he would need to waive his NMC, but it might not be a completely crazy idea.

Sabres would need to be convinced that they could get average+ goaltending from him for a couple years.  He has 3 more years at a $10M hit left after this season, though less in real $ ($10-6.5-6M).

Florida also has Knight, and they are scheduled to pay them a combined $14.5M against the cap next season.  That’s a lot for goaltending, and probably means that you can get Bobrovsky PLUS some other asset just to take him.

Sabres can probably afford the contract without causing real trouble.  Maybe they can get Florida to retain 25% or something.

All in all it would kind of be a crazy move, but it could be a way to get a bridge goalie for 3 years without using up any pick/prospect assets, and maybe actually adding some asset in the process.  Then they could use some pick/prospect assets to improve their 3C and/or #4 D situations.

• Like (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Pretty sure that it’s been mentioned before, but what about Bobrovsky?  It’s probably an offseason deal, and he would need to waive his NMC, but it might not be a completely crazy idea.

Sabres would need to be convinced that they could get average+ goaltending from him for a couple years.  He has 3 more years at a $10M hit left after this season, though less in real $ ($10-6.5-6M).

Florida also has Knight, and they are scheduled to pay them a combined $14.5M against the cap next season.  That’s a lot for goaltending, and probably means that you can get Bobrovsky PLUS some other asset just to take him.

Sabres can probably afford the contract without causing real trouble.  Maybe they can get Florida to retain 25% or something.

All in all it would kind of be a crazy move, but it could be a way to get a bridge goalie for 3 years without using up any pick/prospect assets, and maybe actually adding some asset in the process.  Then they could use some pick/prospect assets to improve their 3C and/or #4 D situations.

It's not a small risk.  Bob turns 35 in September, so you'd be taking on his age 35, 36 and 37 seasons.  They have cap space now, but that's before Cozens and Dahlin get what will presumably be big contracts.

Most importantly, he appears to be in decline, possibly steep decline.  His SV% for the last 7 years is .921%.  In the last 3 full seasons, it was .900, .906 and .913,  and .880 in 13 games this season.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Yes. And few D prospects. We need the draft picks for that reason, IMO 

Personally I’d rather find guys that fit into the 20-25 age range with the rest of the core.  If not, then lower price vets who aren’t atrocious in their own end 

• Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

It's not a small risk.  Bob turns 35 in September, so you'd be taking on his age 35, 36 and 37 seasons.  They have cap space now, but that's before Cozens and Dahlin get what will presumably be big contracts.

Most importantly, he appears to be in decline, possibly steep decline.  His SV% for the last 7 years is .921%.  In the last 3 full seasons, it was .900, .906 and .913,  and .880 in 13 games this season.

Yup, not without risk.  As I alluded to, it would definitely require buy in from Sabres scouting and people in the know to be confident that he has more left in the tank.

One thing to keep in mind when looking at raw sv% though, league average sv% has decreased quite a bit in the past 7 years, from 0.914-0.915 range in 2014-2016, to 0.907 last season and 0.904 so far this season.

So Bob’s 0.921 sv% from 2017-18 is essentially the same as his 0.913 from last season.

On 12/5/2022 at 8:47 PM, Brawndo said:

Friedman is reporting that Vancouver maybe willing to move Thatcher Demko when he returns from injury.

Now that would interest me. Depends on price of course but he's signed for 3 more years after this one which means you get him and Comrie as your tandem. You can probably get Vancouver to retain a mil. Cost my not be prohibitive and last year Demko was great. Interesting option maybe. 

• Like (+1) 2

Right now this teams top 2 lines are playing great, and the 4th line is doing what you need them to do. The 3rd line is the glaring, gaping hole right now.

What do you want in a 3rd liner? I want to focus one someone who can be somewhat productive with lesser minutes (doesn't need 17-20 minutes per game to produce) and can produce without PP time.  Someoone with the basic skills that they CAN move up to a 2nd line in case of injuries. Hopefully someone in that 25-30 years of age category.

Who is that? I have no idea. but I don't need a top 10 pick or a guy on pace to score 30+ goals.  Just find me a guy who can get me 15, MAYBE 20 goals but does that with 3rd line minutes and minimal PP time. That will fill a major hole on this team.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Yup, not without risk.  As I alluded to, it would definitely require buy in from Sabres scouting and people in the know to be confident that he has more left in the tank.

One thing to keep in mind when looking at raw sv% though, league average sv% has decreased quite a bit in the past 7 years, from 0.914-0.915 range in 2014-2016, to 0.907 last season and 0.904 so far this season.

So Bob’s 0.921 sv% from 2017-18 is essentially the same as his 0.913 from last season.

How does that compare to his .880 save % this year?  I’ve seen him a few times and would be concerned with taking on even half of his $10m AAV. He’s 34 and declining with guaranteed money.  What is his motivation? 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

idk, I wouldn't give up 2 firsts for him. What we really need is another Samuelsson, and that's not Chychrun. 

The question is who would that be?  I can't come up with names who would be available for the life of me.  And I WANT another Samuelsson badly.

2 minutes ago, Refuting said:

The cap increases not decreases Skinner signed his deal 4 years ago 

I know.  I don't want to pay $9M a year for contract-year-itis.  And as I said, I want another Samuelsson and another goaltender first.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.