Trade targets

sweetlou

32 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

We shall see. At this point, they seem cocky, but not really snarly. Too soon to tell. 

I don’t think cocky is the perfect word.

They will both fill out their six foot frames eventually.  Peterka has more potential snarl in his game (he was very effective in the playoffs for ROC last year). While no top six forward on this team is a prototypical power forward on the wing, JJP is unafraid on the wall and below the goal line. He could grow into a snarly role.

Quinn has the tools to score 40 in this league.  There are league-wide examples of snarl and that kind of snipe, but it’s pretty rare. I’ll take his goal scoring and speed as the hard to play against metric with him. It’s easier to add snarl down the line than it is snipe.

• Like (+1) 3

10 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

We shall see. At this point, they seem cocky, but not really snarly. Too soon to tell. 

Are you saying this based on the giddy laughing 22 & 77 we’re doing on the bench after on of their goals?  They are 20 year old kids having fun playing a game.  Let them live a little. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

I think both can be true -- i.e. JJP and Quinn (and Power for that matter) can have character, determination, leadership, etc. and be great players, AND a team can need some snarl/edge to be a real contender. 

In fact, I think both are true.  At some point the Sabres are going to need one or 2 forwards in the top 9 who bring some edge.  Right now the only one who does is Cozens.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I think both can be true -- i.e. JJP and Quinn (and Power for that matter) can have character, determination, leadership, etc. and be great players, AND a team can need some snarl/edge to be a real contender. 

In fact, I think both are true.  At some point the Sabres are going to need one or 2 forwards in the top 9 who bring some edge.  Right now the only one who does is Cozens.

Agree....not looking for goons, but rather players who have some skills themselves, can also go into the difficult places in the ice, win puck battles and stand-up for their teammates.  I think this is especially important for playoff hockey.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Also, I think both these kids will do the gritty stuff it takes to win.  Both routinely operate around the goalie without fear.  They battle on the boards to gain possession.  They hit back if someone is in their grill.  

i do think the team will need a couple of bangers to support the kids.  I don’t think we see them this season.  Probably will be replacements on next seasons roster.  KA wants to see what he has in the kids this season. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't equate character with snarl. I'm thinking of character is akin to determination and perseverance. Quinn and JJP have that.

I don't equate them either. We simply could use a little more snarl on this team and if Peterka could add that to the line it would be an even better unit. 

16 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

A bit of cockiness is good for a 20-year-old hockey player, or any hockey player.  Cocky is just confidence that you can see.  If you are an athlete that lacks this, then you don't make it for long.  You have to back it up hard work and hard play.  

Snarly is more about having a bad temper or being in a bad mood, being able to get pissed off quickly.  They may have been snarly before the game, and a bit cocky towards the end.  Whatever they are doing is fine with me.  

4 hours ago, nfreeman said:

True.  Now I might add that Tage can get pretty testy, he pushed back a lot versus Detroit.  Someone ran Dahlin and Tage was in there immediately and that person backed away immediately.  I saw this twice. As he continues to fill out and get stronger he will become more physical, no one will want to mess with him.  The more room he gets the more he will score.  

Tuch has the size to play with an edge during the play, but he does not like the after-whistle stuff.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Pimlach said:

A bit of cockiness is good for a 20-year-old hockey player, or any hockey player.  Cocky is just confidence that you can see.  If you are an athlete that lacks this, then you don't make it for long.  You have to back it up hard work and hard play.  

Snarly is more about having a bad temper or being in a bad mood, being able to get pissed off quickly.  They may have been snarly before the game, and a bit cocky towards the end.  Whatever they are doing is fine with me.  

Cocky is fine, but it can be arrogance. The question is what happens when adversity hits. 

As for snarl, I don't mean bad temper (Krebs seems to have a bit of that but it's not helping him) but more of what Dahlin has developed. Give me a shot or a hit on a shift and I'm going to give you a harder one first chance I get. That sort of thing. 

• Like (+1) 1

I wonder how soon some of the bottom feeders start selling players in order to consolidate their tanks for Bedard, Fantilli and Michkov.  Tonight’s game shows what’s possible for this team with just a little help on defense.  

If I were KA I’d call Chicago about our old friend McCabe and Van about Schenn.  I’d love to get both, but don’t think that is realistic.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I wonder how soon some of the bottom feeders start selling players in order to consolidate their tanks for Bedard, Fantilli and Michkov.  Tonight’s game shows what’s possible for this team with just a little help on defense.  

If I were KA I’d call Chicago about our old friend McCabe and Van about Schenn.  I’d love to get both, but don’t think that is realistic.

I think the trouble is that you have to sell the player in question on playing third pair minutes for a non-playoff team. Would McCabe or Schenn sign up for that? Agree that neither will see the playoffs on their current teams, but they’re just a shuffled deck chair if they come here.

Neither should supplant Muel or Joki this season.  Like it or not, this year is about development of their young core. 

3 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I think the trouble is that you have to sell the player in question on playing third pair minutes for a non-playoff team. Would McCabe or Schenn sign up for that? Agree that neither will see the playoffs on their current teams, but they’re just a shuffled deck chair if they come here.

Neither should supplant Muel or Joki this season.  Like it or not, this year is about development of their young core. 

Why? Schenn has no trade protection and is a career 3rd line D.  McCade has 2 years left at $4 mill per season.  He does have a M-NTC, but I don’t think it would be a hard sell to get him to come back, help mentor the kids and maybe finally get to the playoffs. I think had we offered him a deal similar to Chicago’s he’d have stayed.  I don’t think he’d care if he play 16 minutes a night in a 3rd pairing role on an improving team.

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Why? Schenn has no trade protection and is a career 3rd line D.  McCade has 2 years left at $4 mill per season.  He does have a M-NTC, but I don’t think it would be a hard sell to get him to come back, help mentor the kids and maybe finally get to the playoffs. I think had we offered him a deal similar to Chicago’s he’d have stayed.  I don’t think he’d care if he play 16 minutes a night in a 3rd pairing role on an improving team.

The reasons why McCabe signed in Chicago are well known. I think that ship has nailed. 
If Schenn is a commodity, why would he OK a trade here? As much of an optimist as I am, this isn’t a playoff team in 2022-2023. 

I like the idea of improving the third pairing, but I don’t think that’s an easy task.  Telling a good defenseman you’re a blocked shot away from top four minutes on a team destined for tenth in the conference isn’t an easy sell to anyone. 

Unless one of Dahlin, Power, Muel, or Joki get hurt long-term, this D corps is solidified. No one acquired will step on their minutes during this development season.  Fingers crossed lyubushkin can get back soon. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.