Jump to content

Trade targets


sweetlou
 Share

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Curt said:

A guy in his 3rd NHL season simply is not a rookie, and you will continue to be misunderstood if you keep using the word like that.  Everyone else is not going to adjust to your personal definitions.

I'm often misunderstood. It really doesn't matter. Call them what you want, they're not veterans. They're kids. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, tom webster said:

Again, I am not saying the area is for everyone. You keep saying it’s for no one. That is “obviously “ incorrect.

 

I don't think I said it was for no one, just that most of the players on the roster wouldn't be too heartbroken if they went elsewhere. 

I would bet anything that if you looked at all the modified no trade clauses in the league, the 10 teams and all that, you'd find Buffalo listed on almost all of them. I doubt there are many teams that fare worse. maybe Arizona. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I don't think I said it was for no one, just that most of the players on the roster wouldn't be too heartbroken if they went elsewhere. 

I would bet anything that if you looked at all the modified no trade clauses in the league, the 10 teams and all that, you'd find Buffalo listed on almost all of them. I doubt there are many teams that fare worse. maybe Arizona. 

Your exact words were, “I guarantee you, that other than Tuch and Skinner, there isn’t a single player”….     
I agree, that guys that get ten team NMC, and that’s a very small percentage of player, probably list Buffalo but there are a lot of reasons for that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Trade Targets: Helge Grans 20yr rhd in LA. Give them the rights to Johnson and a sweetener. Johnson gets the west coast where he's from, we get a big defensive defenseman for Power and add depth. Win win for both teams. 

Is Grans really a defensive defenseman?  He is pretty big, but I always got the impression that he leaned more towards offense and the defense was kind of a work in progress, that he played more like a Power than a Samuelsson, to use a quick Sabres comparison.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Curt said:

Is Grans really a defensive defenseman?  He is pretty big, but I always got the impression that he leaned more towards offense and the defense was kind of a work in progress, that he played more like a Power than a Samuelsson, to use a quick Sabres comparison.

I would agree but we need someone who has growth potential and that's this guy. Idk if it will work but it has a chance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I would agree but we need someone who has growth potential and that's this guy. Idk if it will work but it has a chance.

It’s not the player type I would target as a fit for Power/Dahlin.  A big part of Grans’ game is carrying the puck in transition.  It’s kind of a duplicate skill set.

Id be looking for RHD who can regain possession in the defensive zone and make good/fast decisions with where to pass it.

Puck carrying ability and offensive aggressiveness are some of the last skills I would have in mind to pair with Dahlin or Power.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Curt said:

It’s not the player type I would target as a fit for Power/Dahlin.  A big part of Grans’ game is carrying the puck in transition.  It’s kind of a duplicate skill set.

Id be looking for RHD who can regain possession in the defensive zone and make good/fast decisions with where to pass it.

Puck carrying ability and offensive aggressiveness are some of the last skills I would have in mind to pair with Dahlin or Power.

I will respectfully disagree as far as pairing him with Power. I think having two players will open up things for Power even more and I think Grans has improved defensively to the point where he won't hinder things and could be a defensive asset. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, tom webster said:

Your exact words were, “I guarantee you, that other than Tuch and Skinner, there isn’t a single player”….     
I agree, that guys that get ten team NMC, and that’s a very small percentage of player, probably list Buffalo but there are a lot of reasons for that. 

You cut that off, but to your knowledge is there another player on the roster who has Buffalo or local connections that wanted to be here or chose to be here? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I’m not sure what you are asking.

I'm not sure how to word it clearer.

The point is really that in no way is Buffalo currently a desired landing spot. It was a long time ago and it might be again but it isn't now. I think if you argue against that you're just being a homer and not being objective at all. 

I wonder if the real reason Adams has the philosophy he does is because he tried to get free agents here and ran into nothing but brick walls so there was only one pathway to walk down. We as fans talk about sign this guy or that guy, but what if none of them actually want to come? As a GM what would you do then? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'm not sure how to word it clearer.

The point is really that in no way is Buffalo currently a desired landing spot. It was a long time ago and it might be again but it isn't now. I think if you argue against that you're just being a homer and not being objective at all. 

I wonder if the real reason Adams has the philosophy he does is because he tried to get free agents here and ran into nothing but brick walls so there was only one pathway to walk down. We as fans talk about sign this guy or that guy, but what if none of them actually want to come? As a GM what would you do then? 

It’s is completely different for you to say that it is not a preferred destination versus saying that every player presently on the roster would rather be somewhere else. 
As far as free agents, I hope they never put themselves in a position to need to go that route again. 
Finally, if you think the only possible way someone could have an opinion different than yours is to be ignorant or naive, I see no reason to continue any dialogue with you at all. Good day and enjoy the coming attractions.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/29/2022 at 2:04 PM, PerreaultForever said:

You cut that off, but to your knowledge is there another player on the roster who has Buffalo or local connections that wanted to be here or chose to be here? 

Is this deliberately disingenuous?

In the past 2 months Tage Thompson and Mattias Samuelsson chose to be here for 7 years each, giving up 6 and 3 UFA years respectively.

This summer Vinnie Hinostroza, Eric Comrie, Craig Anderson and Ilya Lyubushkin who were unrestricted free agents who could have gone anywhere else chose to be here.

Kyle Okposo and Jeff Skinner signed as unrestricted free agents who could have gone anywhere else and chose to be here.

Zemgus Girgensons and Victor Olofsson each chose term here instead of walking to unrestricted status and bolting at the first opportunity.

Casey Fitzgerald could have walked out of college into free agency like Cal Petersen did, but chose to be here.

Literally half the roster, by their actions, chose to be here.

 

Edited by dudacek
  • Thanks (+1) 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, dudacek said:

Is this deliberately disingenuous?

In the past 2 months Tage Thompson and Mattias Samuelsson chose to be here for 7 years each, giving up 6 and 3 UFA years respectively.

This summer Vinnie Hinostroza, Eric Comrie, Craig Anderson and Ilya Lyubushkin who were unrestricted free agents who could have gone anywhere else chose to be here.

Kyle Okposo and Jeff Skinner signed as unrestricted free agents who could have gone anywhere else and chose to be here.

Zemgus Girgensons and Victor Olofsson each chose term here instead of walking to unrestricted status and bolting at the first opportunity.

Casey Fitzgerald could have walked out of college into free agency like Cal Petersen did, but chose to be here.

Literally half the roster, by their actions, chose to be here.

 

There's no argument here so I'm not sure what the point is. As you well know the contracts for Tage, and especially Samuelsson were questioned around the league and considered generous and perhaps too generous for young players. Restricted free agents have limited leverage and these were generous offers so they signed. It is a business for them too. Eichel signed a big long deal too right? Who wouldn't? Drafted players have limited options and I never said people hated to be here, just that they didn't choose to be here. It relates to trades, no trade lists and free agents not young players who have limited options.

Vinnie is a scrub who got offered a contract. Better than joining the KHL Means nothing. Anderson is an old over the hill goalie who gets to play one more year and make some good coin for his retirement. Nobody else would sign him. Comrie was a career back up offered a chance to start so he'd go anywhere for that too. Lybushkin got offered more than he'd get elsewhere. He's a mercenary like most Russians are. I would suggest that Russian UFAs might be good targets for the Sabres as most of them are mercenaries in their thinking. They are here for the cash. 

Kyle was overpaid by Murray and the stigma was not there when he signed. You know that. Skinner wanted to be near S. Ontario and held them ransom for an obscene overpay you know that too. Neither strengthens your argument. 

ZG and VO were both paid more here than they'd get somewhere else. Not sure they had any better options that were even close. 

Casey Fitzgerald? Seriously? Come on man. 

You know full well this team is at the top of no trade lists. This might change, but the way to change it is to win. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...