Trade targets

sweetlou

24 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't follow you. Are you saying Savoie will be better than Quinn?

No, but possibly.  No VO is going to leave the lineup long before Quinn.  When that happens Savoie is likely to take that spot in the lineup.  I see Kulich stepping in Mitts' current spot also.  

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

It seems they ALL want to stay which is nice but the reality of pro sports is it doesn't happen often & the rare times it does, it doesn't last for long.

It's going to be real important for Adams to not give out many NTCs & mNTCs.  Reality is after next season some of them will have to be moved out.  Maybe sooner, but doubt any but Anderson, Hinostroza & Amerks move.  Asplund is a different case as he might prefer to have an opportunity to play that may not be available here.

This is where I would struggle as a GM: not being loyal to guys that showed loyalty to you.

I want guys like Vic and Casey - guys who want to be here and want to win here - to be rewarded. ***** the mercenaries like Evander Kane and ***** the fans who want high-priced outsiders instead of having the backs of the guys who care.

Its part of why I appreciate the Adams philosophy. But I understand there are limits.

When circumstances demand a guy like Vinnie goes, everybody gets it. You handle it as best you can.

But there are tougher decisions to come.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Night Train said:

Reading that the Sabres have 41 Mil + in cap space which is tops in the NHL.  I get they have to spend some but wish to save some for upcoming contracts for our developing youth.  I don't currently see a difference maker to throw big $$ at. JMO. 

Welcome to the board!

This season, Cozens gets his raise.  Next season, Dahlin and Power get theirs.  I expect they will cost $25-9M.

I agree with you that there is not a difference-maker in the UFA crop this season.

• Like (+1) 1

One thing I keep seeing on here is that Buffalo shouldn't get Meier because of his qualifying offer being $10 million.  Any team trading for him will want an extension in place before the trades made...ie, Tkachuk from Calgary to Florida.  This also means that you don't have to have the salary be at or above the QO...ie, Kotkaniemi's QO was $6.1 million and he signed an extension with a cap hit of $4.82 million.

If KA likes his game better than VO's, (I certainly do), than you give Meier a 7-8 year extension for $8.5 million and make the trade.

Imagine having Skinner, TNT, Tuch, Meier, Cozens, and Quinn as your top six for the next four years.

Then having Kulich, JJP, Krebs, Savoi, Jost or Mitts be your 3rd line.

Fill the 4th line in with grinders and PKers and I feel that is a complete team.

You move Olofsson for a solid 2RD to play with Power and move Joker to 3rd pair.

Thoughts

2 hours ago, sweetlou said:

One thing I keep seeing on here is that Buffalo shouldn't get Meier because of his qualifying offer being $10 million.  Any team trading for him will want an extension in place before the trades made...ie, Tkachuk from Calgary to Florida.  This also means that you don't have to have the salary be at or above the QO...ie, Kotkaniemi's QO was $6.1 million and he signed an extension with a cap hit of $4.82 million.

If KA likes his game better than VO's, (I certainly do), than you give Meier a 7-8 year extension for $8.5 million and make the trade.

Imagine having Skinner, TNT, Tuch, Meier, Cozens, and Quinn as your top six for the next four years.

Then having Kulich, JJP, Krebs, Savoi, Jost or Mitts be your 3rd line.

Fill the 4th line in with grinders and PKers and I feel that is a complete team.

You move Olofsson for a solid 2RD to play with Power and move Joker to 3rd pair.

Thoughts

It's really the only way to do it and you would think the Sharks would have to be highly motivated to sell given their cap situation.

I wonder if we could somehow take salary off their hands to lessen the acquisition cost, which otherwise would be very high — I'm thinking an ROR from Colorado level package with a similar contract understanding, adjusted for inflation.

Edited by dudacek

33 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

It's interesting, but I'm not that interested in trading Peterka, he has the tenacious puck hounding that we need on this team.  Again, of the top 3 lines, the players I'm okay moving are 1:  Casey Mittelstadt.  In the right sitting, I would consider Olofsson, I suppose, but it would take a strong offer.  He's improved A LOT this year away from the puck, and you see his dedication to improving.  He's a team guy. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.