Trade targets

sweetlou

36 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Not sure they can afford to bridge him if the goal is to keep the Big 3 plus the Joker in house long term.  They have $15 MM plus in cap space at present & the cap will go up.  Adams is on record as saying often he plans to spend on the guys in house that earn it.  Dahlin & Cozens will eat a lot of that space but not all.  Power’s contract will come due before either Quinn's or Peterka's contracts come due.  There is more in the cupboard at F and if necessary 1 of them can get bridged in 2 years.  That's when Adaams will have to start making decisions on which F's he's keeping moving forward.  Expect the pieces of the Jost line are what end up getting moved out & if they are there'll be room and cap room for the 2 kid Ws.

I am expecting $10-11M for Dahlin and $8-9M for Power and Cozens.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Krueger limited 2 of his 3 first seasons. 

I wouldn't bridge Power. 

Sam Ventura is a big proponent signing certain players coming off their ELCs to long term contracts so that the team gets the players most productive years locked down. 

Power is trending similarly to Chabot’s Rookie Year in terms metrics and is slightly ahead in terms of points. 
It would not surprise me if His Deal was long term in the eight million dollar range. 

That probably puts Your cap hits for Top 2 Centers in the 15 million range and Top 2 Defenseman at 19 million dollar range. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I'm not opposed to it but why?

I'm with you. Between the acquisition cost and the new contract I don't see it. 

His QO is 10M just to retain his rights. 

Edited by Hank
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I'm not opposed to it but why?

He’s in the right age range and is proven as a power forward. 
Imagine Him on Cozens Wing. 
Eventually they probably are going to make a move for an established player and he fits the bill. 
The question is what does that next deal look like?

54 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

more scoring is always a good thing. But he’s a rental. Get rid of mitts and put him on the third line.

He’s actually a RFA with a Qualifying Offer of 10 Million AAV. 

His next deal will be interesting 

• Like (+1) 1

It has been rumored that if team makes an offer that San Jose would except than that team could talk extension before trade is made.

Buffalo could have an offer that San Jose likes, but if KA doesn't like what Timo wants in extension than the trade would not happen.

I could see KA giving him 7 years at $8.25 million.

I'd send them Rosen, and 2023 1st rd.

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

The Sabres have reached out to San Jose regarding Timo Meier per LeBrun On Insider Trading

Adams is open to big name trades, see everyone 

His and his team’s analysis of each individual move is what matters, by the principles they’ve set. No move is simply ruled out based on stringent adherence ie “we won’t “mortgage the future” by dealing for a “now” player.” Always open to improvement, doesn’t view things as *necessarily* set, in house. Not if we can do better. 

Depends on cost, depends on player. Very good. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, TheAud said:

How about old pal Jake McCabe for this year plus two more to pair with Power?

$4M cap hit, have Chicago retain half. 

Get him for a second and Bryson or something similar?

Move Joker to 3rd pairing with Lybush.

Joker is better than Jake and I like Jake.

3 hours ago, sweetlou said:

It has been rumored that if team makes an offer that San Jose would except than that team could talk extension before trade is made.

Buffalo could have an offer that San Jose likes, but if KA doesn't like what Timo wants in extension than the trade would not happen.

I don't see Meier coming here.  What I do see is one of the those crazy 3 way trades where we get a draft pick or prospect for helping to ease the cap burden on the team acquiring Meier. 

For example: Carolina wants to acquire Meier from SJ.  SJ eats 50% (3 mill) of the cap hit, trades him to us, we eat 50% of the remainder (1.5) and Carolina gets the Meier for a 1.5 cap hit.  In return Carolina sends SJ a 1st, a 3rd, a good prospect and Derek Stepan and we get SJ 3rd in 2023.

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

Joker is better than Jake and I like Jake.

Joker is better than Dumba right now too.  People just want “names” they recognize to come in but not many are better then Joker as a #4 dman.

a big rugged LHD to replace Bryson and pair with Boosh as a “playoff style” 3rd pairing is the better play right now. But that Dman shouldn’t cost a 1st to acquire. Doesn’t need to be a big name, just a solid guy that can switch with Bryson depending on the style of game.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, sweetlou said:

If I’m SJ, I’m asking for Quinn or Peterka.  

On 1/24/2023 at 8:03 AM, Buffalonill said:

That was all because of Jacks agent . Can someone find me an actual leak of a player that we traded for .

How about hall No one had that.

Sam ? No one 

Ristolainen ? no one 

Eric staal  ? No one 

If Buffalo makes a trade it will be a player that no one expected

Do your own research. Eichel trade rumors started a full year before he was moved. Risto trade rumors were ongoing for 2-3 years. It was pretty obvious we would trade Staal after we sucked that year. Idk what you are looking for. You are basically asking us to prove which rumors were actual leaks but since Eichel, Risto, and Staal all got moved... I guess all of them were leaks. 

7 minutes ago, inkman said:

And that's fair. Meier is just 26 and one of the league's best power forwards.

The qualifying offer doesn't mean he's getting that much on term, but no one is trading the likes of Quinn for him without knowing what his demands are and whether they fit in your cap.

The Sabres have set themselves up as one of the few franchises to be in a position to acquire a player of Meier's calibre and circumstances this summer.

He could be our Hossa. I'm not interested in breaking the bank, but I would hope Adams is taking a hard look.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Drag0nDan said:

You will get Olofsson and like it!!

At some point they will probably need to trade VO.  Or let him walk.  If I’m KA, once Kulich or Quinn appear ready to take on that role, I move him for what will be an asset for replenishment for the players we move on from.   

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The issue with Timo Meier isn't his play but his qualifying offer. It would almost have to be a rental for the Sabres to maintain their salary structure unless they plan on giving Meier 10million bucks for a couple of years. 

I would imagine the Sabres were also one of the teams asking to speak with His Agent about the parameters of His Next Deal.

9 minutes ago, inkman said:

Love both of them, but Meier is the type of player we can only hope they turn into.

The question becomes are they more valuable based on age and the fact they are on their ELCs for two more seasons. Or is a 26yo dominant winger in His Prime, who will need a hefty extension, a better option.

Its not a easy decision.

How long would a line of 

Peterka/Quinn-Cozens-Meier be dominant for versus a line of Peterka-Cozens-Quinn.

The second we cannot answer. 

In the long run, I think GA is right, Carolina makes the most sense, they are in a great position in the standings and can afford an extension next year

32 minutes ago, inkman said:

At some point they will probably need to trade VO.  Or let him walk.  If I’m KA, once Kulich or Quinn appear ready to take on that role, I move him for what will be an asset for replenishment for the players we move on from.   

I wonder what young RHD that @LGR4GMlikes from LA they could get for VO with 50% retained. 

56 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Do your own research. Eichel trade rumors started a full year before he was moved. Risto trade rumors were ongoing for 2-3 years. It was pretty obvious we would trade Staal after we sucked that year. Idk what you are looking for. You are basically asking us to prove which rumors were actual leaks but since Eichel, Risto, and Staal all got moved... I guess all of them were leaks. 

You can believe what you like but there hasn't been any leaks what so ever about players being moved here .

It happens out of left field 

Edited by Buffalonill

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.