Trade targets

sweetlou

8 minutes ago, tom webster said:

You have no idea what motivates every player on the team.

I’ve made this point ad nauseum but everyone is motivated by their own values. There was a time that Wayne Gretzky and Alex Ovechkin dreamed of playing for the Sabres. Mario Williams came to the Bills because he saw a deer in Jim Kelly’s back yard. Buffalo’s proximity to Canada is a huge draw. Some people want to play close to home, some want to be as far away as possible. Athletes are no different than the rest of us. Believe it or not, some of us still reside in Western New York because we want to and don’t tell anyone, I actually know a few people that yearn to come back.

This was a hard concept for me to understand as a kid, why wouldn’t everyone take pay cuts to win championships? 

The older I get, the more I realize I’m a big fan of warm weather. I’d personally take a pay cut to play and live in the south, even if that meant playing for a perennial loser. 

It’s different for every athlete, they have different things that motivate them. They’re real humans too. 

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Skinner has a NTC and wouldn't that indicate we are not trying to win?

So do you want us to surround the team with veterans and try to win or sell off all the UFAs whenever we are short of the playoffs and let the kids really struggle the last 2 months of the season? Which is it?

Balance. So a bit of both. A mix that has veteran leadership and solid role players supporting the rookies and not making rookies take on too much too soon. Having enough depth that you don't struggle as badly when a few D men go down. 

Example. Beniers was coming in to Seattle. They paid Burakovsky to play on his wing.  Working out pretty good. You telling me we wouldn't be a lot better with Burakovsky on Cozen's wing? New Jersey kept people like Miles Wood. Added Hamilton. Added a goalie. It's not just about rookies and youth there. We went too far into the all rookie team imo. 

11 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Balance. So a bit of both. A mix that has veteran leadership and solid role players supporting the rookies and not making rookies take on too much too soon. Having enough depth that you don't struggle as badly when a few D men go down. 

Example. Beniers was coming in to Seattle. They paid Burakovsky to play on his wing.  Working out pretty good. You telling me we wouldn't be a lot better with Burakovsky on Cozen's wing? New Jersey kept people like Miles Wood. Added Hamilton. Added a goalie. It's not just about rookies and youth there. We went too far into the all rookie team imo. 

Yes. I am telling you we wouldn't be a lot better replacing JJP or Quinn with Burakovsky.

Name the rookies on this team. I need to know who you are using to this term for because I don't think you do. 

4 hours ago, tom webster said:

I’ve made this point ad nauseum but everyone is motivated by their own values. There was a time that Wayne Gretzky and Alex Ovechkin dreamed of playing for the Sabres. Mario Williams came to the Bills because he saw a deer in Jim Kelly’s back yard. Buffalo’s proximity to Canada is a huge draw. Some people want to play close to home, some want to be as far away as possible. Athletes are no different than the rest of us. Believe it or not, some of us still reside in Western New York because we want to and don’t tell anyone, I actually know a few people that yearn to come back.

The border thing was a draw in the early days. I do remember a lot of the 1970s Sabres lived across the border. A lot of that was about tax laws and citizenship, but that has all changed. Dollar value, the level of their wealth. Most of these guys nowadays buy condos where they play and live wherever they want. It's not the same. So nobody is saying they'd absolutely hate going to the snowy lands of western NY but the idea that there's a lot of people who would choose it is wishful thinking. 

Not to mention that the winning culture of Buffalo is so far in the past most players these days can't believe it ever existed as they've never seen it. 

4 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

The border thing was a draw in the early days. I do remember a lot of the 1970s Sabres lived across the border. A lot of that was about tax laws and citizenship, but that has all changed. Dollar value, the level of their wealth. Most of these guys nowadays buy condos where they play and live wherever they want. It's not the same. So nobody is saying they'd absolutely hate going to the snowy lands of western NY but the idea that there's a lot of people who would choose it is wishful thinking. 

Not to mention that the winning culture of Buffalo is so far in the past most players these days can't believe it ever existed as they've never seen it. 

You have anything to back this up other than your less than enthusiastic opinion of the area?

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Yes. I am telling you we wouldn't be a lot better replacing JJP or Quinn with Burakovsky.

Name the rookies on this team. I need to know who you are using to this term for because I don't think you do. 

Burakovsky 21 pts in 21 games, Peterka 10 pts in 21 games. Adding a player like Burakovsky also means JJ can be played further down the line up as he develops. 

If you are saying that signing Burakovsky in free agency would not have made us a better team than we are I think you need to see somebody about that recent head injury you suffered. Seriously, just look at Seattle's improvement over ours. It's not that complicated. 

Rookies, I use the term loosely for young players that aren't proven yet. Players on rookie contracts. Until he fully proves himself Cozens is still a rookie to me as well. 

8 minutes ago, tom webster said:

You have anything to back this up other than your less than enthusiastic opinion of the area?

Back it up? Which part? The living across the border thing is obvious. That's laws and taxes and dollar values. Times have changed. 

The other part, well you have the lack of free agent signings and the 10 team no trade issues that crop up. It seems kind of obvious. 

8 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Burakovsky 21 pts in 21 games, Peterka 10 pts in 21 games. Adding a player like Burakovsky also means JJ can be played further down the line up as he develops. 

If you are saying that signing Burakovsky in free agency would not have made us a better team than we are I think you need to see somebody about that recent head injury you suffered. Seriously, just look at Seattle's improvement over ours. It's not that complicated. 

Rookies, I use the term loosely for young players that aren't proven yet. Players on rookie contracts. Until he fully proves himself Cozens is still a rookie to me as well. 

Come on, now you are just using words wrong on purpose.  We are all here just reading what is written by other people.  It makes it a lot easier to understand each other if we don’t just start making up our own personal definitions for words whenever we feel like it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Curt said:

Come on, now you are just using words wrong on purpose.  We are all here just reading what is written by other people.  It makes it a lot easier to understand each other if we don’t just start making up our own personal definitions for words whenever we feel like it.

A rookie is a player on his rookie contract. How is that made up???

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

You don’t think that playing close to home is attractive to very many players?  I think if Buffalo gets it’s head out of it’s butt and becomes a perennially decent team, it becomes an attractive location for lots of players from Ontario.

It’s not about being close to the border so players can live just on the other side.  It’s about being close to family/friends so it’s easier to visit.

Just now, PerreaultForever said:

A rookie is a player on his rookie contract. How is that made up???

The word rookie has an actual definition.  It’s not “ player on his ELC”.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

You don’t think that playing close to home is attractive to very many players?  I think if Buffalo gets it’s head out of it’s butt and becomes a perennially decent team, it becomes an attractive location for lots of players from Ontario.

It’s not about being close to the border so players can live just on the other side.  It’s about being close to family/friends so it’s easier to visit.

The word rookie has an actual definition.  It’s not “ player on his ELC”.

I think it could be, but I think the close to home thing is less important these days for most players than it used to be. These guys are so rich they just fly home any time or fly their parents to them. They get around and travel so they are fine to play all over. Most would prefer big cities or states with good tax laws if they had a choice. 

Calling players ELC players just doesn't sound right. I'm sticking with rookies.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, PerreaultForever said:

Calling players ELC players just doesn't sound right. I'm sticking with rookies.

A guy in his 3rd NHL season simply is not a rookie, and you will continue to be misunderstood if you keep using the word like that.  Everyone else is not going to adjust to your personal definitions.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Considering how our offence is playing overall, the only truly valuable extra additions the Sabres could have made this off-season are a solid LHD so that Bryson would not be in the top 2 pairs when Samuelsson went down and another goalkeeper.

10 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I think it could be, but I think the close to home thing is less important these days for most players than it used to be. These guys are so rich they just fly home any time or fly their parents to them. They get around and travel so they are fine to play all over. Most would prefer big cities or states with good tax laws if they had a choice.

They certainly have the money to fly whoever wherever, but getting on a plane for a 2/3/4/5 hour flight, possibly with layovers, is a lot more of a hassle than jumping in the car for a 2/3/4 hour drive.

5 hours ago, tom webster said:

Wayne might have wanted to play for Buffalo when he was kid growing up in Brantford, he was a teenager when the Sabres were a damn good team in the mid 70's.   The Sabres were consistently better than the Leaves, and far better than the Red Wings, the two closest other teams.  

Time have changed a lot though.  Winning is not thing associated with the franchise.  Finding and keeping great players in the organization does not happen anymore either.  

Ovechkin is harder to believe.  Maybe it was because of Mogilny but I doubt he ever heard of him as a Sabre? 

6 hours ago, tom webster said:

Wayne did?

1 hour ago, Curt said:

A guy in his 3rd NHL season simply is not a rookie, and you will continue to be misunderstood if you keep using the word like that.  Everyone else is not going to adjust to your personal definitions.

Hey look it's the forum monitor lol relax 

Regarding trade targets find out if there's another Tkachuk 

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Back it up? Which part? The living across the border thing is obvious. That's laws and taxes and dollar values. Times have changed. 

The other part, well you have the lack of free agent signings and the 10 team no trade issues that crop up. It seems kind of obvious. 

Again, I am not saying the area is for everyone. You keep saying it’s for no one. That is “obviously “ incorrect.

33 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Wayne did?

You apparently didn’t read The Athletic article naming Gil Perreault to the list of 100 greatest NHL players

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Again, I am not saying the area is for everyone. You keep saying it’s for no one. That is “obviously “ incorrect.

You apparently didn’t read The Athletic article naming Gil Perreault to the list of 100 greatest NHL players

I mean, no, I didn’t, that’s kinda why I was asking for info.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.