GDT: New Jervils at Buffalo, 11/25/22, 8pm, MSG, WGR.

Eleven

1 hour ago, Contempt said:

The team sucks. I want it to not suck. I want it to not suck as quickly as possible without doing stupid things. Don't confuse that with demanding "immediate" change.

I appreciate your condescension though.  Typically this level of arrogance is reserved for teams that have a modicum of success.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that no true Sabre's fan wants the team to suck. I don't want to sound condescending but you suggesting doing stupid things to make a team better right away by prematurely hijacking the team's plan because you personally don't understand how plans work, sorta cries out for condescension though. At the risk of piling on the condescension, have you ever heard of the old saying regarding no free lunches? Regardless, the only difference between you and the toddler throwing a tantrum in the grocery store because he wants that candy bar for instant gratification, is your ability to state your case somewhat more concisely. 

19 minutes ago, grinreaper said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that no true Sabre's fan wants the team to suck. I don't want to sound condescending but you suggesting doing stupid things to make a team better right away by prematurely hijacking the team's plan because you personally don't understand how plans work, sorta cries out for condescension though. At the risk of piling on the condescension, have you ever heard of the old saying regarding no free lunches? Regardless, the only difference between you and the toddler throwing a tantrum in the grocery store because he wants that candy bar for instant gratification, is your ability to state your case somewhat more concisely. 

This wasn't directed at me personally but I really hate it when people say things like "no true Sabre's fan" like they can quantify the value of their fandom over someone elses. People posting here are fans (or maybe trolls, there's always a few but they come and go) or maybe they're working for the Sabres as "influencers" lol but the idea that someone is "true" and someone else isn't fan enough to have a valid opinion is BS. 

Myself, I want to win now. I want them to win. I want compete and effort EVERY night. I do not want to talk about "the plan" as we've had "plans" for over a decade and most of them have ended up in the dumpster. 

31 minutes ago, grinreaper said:

Which stupid thing did I suggest? I think being open to trading Olofsson for a proper defenseman is prudent and that's about the only thing I've said but don't let that stop your continued arrogance.

Edit-correction I was also confused why they didn't claim a defenseman for free when the team was essentially out of defensemen and doesn't have a lot of depth there anyway.

Edited by Contempt

11 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

This wasn't directed at me personally but I really hate it when people say things like "no true Sabre's fan" like they can quantify the value of their fandom over someone elses. People posting here are fans (or maybe trolls, there's always a few but they come and go) or maybe they're working for the Sabres as "influencers" lol but the idea that someone is "true" and someone else isn't fan enough to have a valid opinion is BS. 

Myself, I want to win now. I want them to win. I want compete and effort EVERY night. I do not want to talk about "the plan" as we've had "plans" for over a decade and most of them have ended up in the dumpster. 

Tell me then, do you think I wouldn't want the same success for the Sabres as you do? I want them to win and actually become a Cup contender for a sustained period of time. I want compete and effort every night too. I want to see our young players on the team and in the pipeline develop as many people here have cried out for in the past. I want team management to have a plan in bringing all of this about. The only difference it seems is that you want them to do so without a plan while I think having a plan that they can trust in and implement is a good thing. 

15 minutes ago, Contempt said:

Which stupid thing did I suggest? I think being open to trading Olofsson for a proper defenseman is prudent and that's about the only thing I've said but don't let that stop your continued arrogance.

That's not the only thing you've said and moving the goalposts isn't going to work. It sounds like you want the Sabres to become instant winners but don't think they need a plan or to stick to their plan to do so. In other words you want the instant gratification of winning now and are willing to sacrifice sustained winning that might take a bit more time. So, you complain about the fact that it's been forever since they made the playoffs but are at the same time advocating that they do the same things that kept them from the playoffs for so long. Gotcha. 

1 hour ago, grinreaper said:

That's not the only thing you've said and moving the goalposts isn't going to work. It sounds like you want the Sabres to become instant winners but don't think they need a plan or to stick to their plan to do so. In other words you want the instant gratification of winning now and are willing to sacrifice sustained winning that might take a bit more time. So, you complain about the fact that it's been forever since they made the playoffs but are at the same time advocating that they do the same things that kept them from the playoffs for so long. Gotcha. 

It's the only things I've said remotely recently. 

Where's that ignore button?

Edit - found it

Edited by Contempt

Tell me then, do you think I wouldn't want the same success for the Sabres as you do? I want them to win and actually become a Cup contender for a sustained period of time. I want compete and effort every night too. I want to see our young players on the team and in the pipeline develop as many people here have cried out for in the past. I want team management to have a plan in bringing all of this about. The only difference it seems is that you want them to do so without a plan while I think having a plan that they can trust in and implement is a good thing. 

Where did I say I don't want a plan? What I'm saying is I do not blindly believe in the plan or "trust the plan" as the rhetoric goes. I've done that before. Fool me once and all that won't get fooled again. 

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Where did I say I don't want a plan? What I'm saying is I do not blindly believe in the plan or "trust the plan" as the rhetoric goes. I've done that before. Fool me once and all that won't get fooled again. 

Well, either you don't believe in plans or have one of your own that so far you haven't shared here. If you have one can you share it? 

4 hours ago, Contempt said:

It's the only things I've said remotely recently. 

Where's that ignore button?

Edit - found it

Thank you.

Well, either you don't believe in plans or have one of your own that so far you haven't shared here. If you have one can you share it? 

Thank you.

I've gone over this many times in earlier threads. My problem is too many rookies at once and a failure to fill the gaping holes with veterans to create a solid team that can win now and build a winning culture around that so that the youngsters coming in can add to that and compete to be part of that and are not necessarily expected to be the saviors. Like getting a goalie and building out from there. 

The current plan is too extreme and thus too slow. Years from now it might pan out, but I'm tired of waiting. 

In other words more like what New Jersey has done. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I've gone over this many times in earlier threads. My problem is too many rookies at once and a failure to fill the gaping holes with veterans to create a solid team that can win now and build a winning culture around that so that the youngsters coming in can add to that and compete to be part of that and are not necessarily expected to be the saviors. Like getting a goalie and building out from there. 

The current plan is too extreme and thus too slow. Years from now it might pan out, but I'm tired of waiting. 

In other words more like what New Jersey has done. 

oh like drafting first overall in 2017 and 2019 and then waiting another 2 years after 2019 to really start pushing because those 2 first overall picks take a little to grow into their games. 

so that is like drafting first overall in 2018 and 2020 and then waiting ... hold on... that would mean pushing this summer in 2023 if we follow the NJD timeline. Huh... interesting. 

BTW the Devils also drafted 4th and 2nd (I think both were lottery wins) recently so they also have 2 top flight defenders incoming next season in Hughes and Nemec. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, grinreaper said:

This is obnoxious.

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

oh like drafting first overall in 2017 and 2019 and then waiting another 2 years after 2019 to really start pushing because those 2 first overall picks take a little to grow into their games. 

so that is like drafting first overall in 2018 and 2020 and then waiting ... hold on... that would mean pushing this summer in 2023 if we follow the NJD timeline. Huh... interesting. 

BTW the Devils also drafted 4th and 2nd (I think both were lottery wins) recently so they also have 2 top flight defenders incoming next season in Hughes and Nemec. 

In other words, why can't the Sabres be more like the Devils but do it by completely following a different path?

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

the part you are ignoring is they also added and kept veterans in the mix to create a more balanced line up and most important of all they got a goalie. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.