GDT: New Jervils at Buffalo, 11/25/22, 8pm, MSG, WGR.

Eleven

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

They were better. They're a much more balanced team than us. We have a ways to go to get to their level but I think we are trying to develop a similar style. 

Lindy's a better coach. Still. 

Lindy is a damn good coach and is flexible enough to adapt his approach to suit his players but IMO didn't always develop the young guys. Anyway, I believe Granato is the right coach for this team and he and Adams are not sacrificing development for a won-loss record. We'll see how he is viewed as a coach after the Sabre's talent has developed in a year or two. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

To all you guys getting impatient and crying out for immediate change, it's not going to happen. The Sabres are going to stick to their plan and if all you guys think about it another year or two to develop our young players should make you happy in the long term. Tonight's game was against a team that we want to soon be like (but with better players). I was entertained and liked their brand. If victories are your only parameter in how you feel about this team then you will be disappointed this year and maybe some next year. I've made the decision to enjoy watching their development and progress and not get upset over a game like tonight's just because they lost. BTW, I absolutely hate losing. I'll get upset if they play sloppy or don't put the effort in. I personally am enjoying this team and players as they improve. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

39 minutes ago, grinreaper said:

Lindy is a damn good coach and is flexible enough to adapt his approach to suit his players but IMO didn't always develop the young guys. Anyway, I believe Granato is the right coach for this team and he and Adams are not sacrificing development for a won-loss record. We'll see how he is viewed as a coach after the Sabre's talent has developed in a year or two. 

Granato is a good hockey coach, and a good teacher, and he helps develop youngsters, but I'm still not convinced he's a great HEAD COACH. As an assistant I think he'd be unquestionably among the best, but as a head coach it remains to be seen. Lindy as HC with Granato as an assistant here would be really good don't you think?  We shall see how Granato goes as the team matures as I doubt he will be replaced any time soon regardless of their record. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Granato is a good hockey coach, and a good teacher, and he helps develop youngsters, but I'm still not convinced he's a great HEAD COACH. As an assistant I think he'd be unquestionably among the best, but as a head coach it remains to be seen. Lindy as HC with Granato as an assistant here would be really good don't you think?  We shall see how Granato goes as the team matures as I doubt he will be replaced any time soon regardless of their record. 

The head coach sets the tone and with our youth and the youth that will be coming up in the near future I believe Granato has the perfect philosophy and tone. Lindy often was brutal on young players but was a hell of a coach overall. 

I like Lindy, but a lot of credit is being thrown at Brunette who the Devils picked up from the Panthers after they chose to not sign him to be the HC even after being the top team in the regular season. The Devils were worse than the Sabres last year but they I think Wood missed most of the season, their goaltending was far worse than the Sabres and their players are older overall. Only Hughes and Mercer are between 20-22 both at 21, most of the rest of that team is 24+.  Cozens, Peterka, Quinn, Power, Dahlin, Samuelsson, Krebs are al 20-22.

I'm tempted, if I can sit through the game again, to watch how many times the Devils hook, interfere, and hold and did not get a call against them. Sure they play fast but they seem to cling to their opponent a little more than should be allowed in the NHL.  The officiating was not good tonight. Was it Jost who got called for high sticking on what appeared, to me, the Devils player using his arm to pull him down trying to get by. The linesmen seemed to want to make the game about them as well with the puck dropping.

As far as the two pucks that went in the net for the Sabres that did not go to the scoreboard. It was said earlier, the first would never count because you can't push the goalie into the net to score. That's what happened.  The second was total crap though.  The ref was even on the side of the loose puck.

I thought by the end the Sabres were playing a bit more physical and with a bit more pace. They didn't bury the few chances they had and the Sabres defensive zone coverage & goaltending are what they are.

2 minutes ago, LTS said:

I like Lindy, but a lot of credit is being thrown at Brunette who the Devils picked up from the Panthers after they chose to not sign him to be the HC even after being the top team in the regular season. The Devils were worse than the Sabres last year but they I think Wood missed most of the season, their goaltending was far worse than the Sabres and their players are older overall. Only Hughes and Mercer are between 20-22 both at 21, most of the rest of that team is 24+.  Cozens, Peterka, Quinn, Power, Dahlin, Samuelsson, Krebs are al 20-22.

I'm tempted, if I can sit through the game again, to watch how many times the Devils hook, interfere, and hold and did not get a call against them. Sure they play fast but they seem to cling to their opponent a little more than should be allowed in the NHL.  The officiating was not good tonight. Was it Jost who got called for high sticking on what appeared, to me, the Devils player using his arm to pull him down trying to get by. The linesmen seemed to want to make the game about them as well with the puck dropping.

As far as the two pucks that went in the net for the Sabres that did not go to the scoreboard. It was said earlier, the first would never count because you can't push the goalie into the net to score. That's what happened.  The second was total crap though.  The ref was even on the side of the loose puck.

I thought by the end the Sabres were playing a bit more physical and with a bit more pace. They didn't bury the few chances they had and the Sabres defensive zone coverage & goaltending are what they are.

The 1st SHOULD never count, but we both know that play results in a goal quite often.  Have seen far worse allowed through the years.

The 2nd absolutely should've been a goal.

• Like (+1) 1

Tough loss and tired of hearing the coach explain it. NJ was fast and deserving of the W but they gotta find a way around it.  Olofsson was the best Sabre tonight. His goal was 100% hustle from their own blue line and a difficult finish. He was frustrated with the coach in the final 3 minutes, 2x reluctant to come off after whistles. I don't blame him.  

1 hour ago, grinreaper said:

To all you guys getting impatient and crying out for immediate change, it's not going to happen. The Sabres are going to stick to their plan and if all you guys think about it another year or two to develop our young players should make you happy in the long term. Tonight's game was against a team that we want to soon be like (but with better players). I was entertained and liked their brand. If victories are your only parameter in how you feel about this team then you will be disappointed this year and maybe some next year. I've made the decision to enjoy watching their development and progress and not get upset over a game like tonight's just because they lost. BTW, I absolutely hate losing. I'll get upset if they play sloppy or don't put the effort in. I personally am enjoying this team and players as they improve. 

No one is asking for change. No one is asking for KA to move core players out or to toss out rebuild plan 3.0. All we are asking for is intelligent management to support the team when obvious holes in the lineup occur either through injury or poor performance.  Is that really too much to ask from the fans who have suffered through terrible teams for over a decade, when the team has a playoff caliber offense, 15 plus million in cap space, but mediocre defense and goaltending?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4

My comments will be withheld until we play NJ again. After being chased for most of the 1st and part of the 2nd; they really did seem to adapt and start turning the tide a bit. Sadly, it came a bit too late and with the lack of penalties called and an idiotic quick whistle we may have been able to tie it. Thompson's line had a lukewarm game but were surprisingly physical, especially in the 3rd. The good news is we hit the post 2 or 3 times and their goalie got lucky with a couple bounces so we were certainly creating scoring chances.

4 hours ago, grinreaper said:

Immediate? Can we have change on a time scale that is somewhat shorter than the entirety of galactic history?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Getpucksdeep said:

Tough loss and tired of hearing the coach explain it. NJ was fast and deserving of the W but they gotta find a way around it.  Olofsson was the best Sabre tonight. His goal was 100% hustle from their own blue line and a difficult finish. He was frustrated with the coach in the final 3 minutes, 2x reluctant to come off after whistles. I don't blame him.  

He wasn't imo but he played far better than he has recently. 

Best player to me was Quinn. He just controls pace with the puck. Jjp also had a great pass to Cozens for the tap in but Cozens couldn't cash it. 

6 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

No one is asking for change. No one is asking for KA to move core players out or to toss out rebuild plan 3.0. All we are asking for is intelligent management to support the team when obvious holes in the lineup occur either through injury or poor performance.  Is that really too much to ask from the fans who have suffered through terrible teams for over a decade, when the team has a playoff caliber offense, 15 plus million in cap space, but mediocre defense and goaltending?

I'm gonna get to read this stuff after every loss aren't I?

"Adams didn't do anything to help"

"Granato isn't as good is *insert other coach here*"

Sounds fun. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, grinreaper said:

The head coach sets the tone and with our youth and the youth that will be coming up in the near future I believe Granato has the perfect philosophy and tone. Lindy often was brutal on young players but was a hell of a coach overall. 

Luke sits in a corner and eats his oatmeal through a straw.

7 hours ago, LTS said:

This is exactly what's happening. Panthers panicked after an unlucky playoff loss and njd are benefiting

9 hours ago, Taro T said:

The difference in this game was 2 fold - the Sabres didn't have an answer for the Hischier line & the ref had an early whistle twice.

Granato was matching his D and for the most part matching lines.  This team still needs a bunch of pieces (which for the most part might already be in the system) to compete for the Stanley Cup.  But they really are only about 3-4 pieces from being a legit playoff team.  Fix the goaltending (and yes Anderson played well but he isn't stealing a game after October for them) and playoffs need to be the goal.  This team competed with one of the 3 best teams (at present) in the league.  Yes, they were outmatched early, but they weathered the storm and competed.

What is it, a dozen years on now from the last playoffs appearance? Kind of depressing, the thought that they are 3-4 pieces away from being a legit playoff team. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.