Leafs’ Great Borje Salming Has Passed Away at 71.

GASabresIUFAN

Very sad and very young, but the brother of a friend died of ALS when he was 30.  Terrible disease.

Salming was in Toronto for the Hall of Fame induction game earlier this month.  He did not look good at all, but not that death was this near.  Maybe he took advantage of certain laws in Sweden.

RIP!!

It was so amazing that they paid tribute to BJ just last week in TO. He was on the ice with a bunch of other great Leafs and you could see his joy and happiness being there and of course when the fans gave him a standing O. I am so glad I watched that (I typically do not watch the Leafs much even though I was born in TO and live in Canada). Great person and great player...RIP BJ

On another note I am old and am a Sabre fan from day one and I too have sucked my son into being a fan so he can go through the agony with me of years of frustration!  My late bro was a goalie in the Leafs organization way back in the 60s and 70s and when Punch left TO for Buffalo I followed him and have been a fan ever since. Boy were the Sabre teams back in the day ever good. French Connection and my favorite Danny Gare (I still have a authentic original home white NHL Sabre jersey with Gare's name and number 18! I was a lot younger then and probably 40 pounds lighter and I cannot get into the shirt now but still treasure it.

Edited by sabrefanday1
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

• nfreeman changed the title to Leafs’ Great Borje Salming Has Passed Away at 71.

Börje did a lot for the European image in the NHL. I'll never be a Leafs fan but I can respect his impact on the game. The Leafs honoring him so recently was a very wonderful thing to see. It's unfortunate that we continue our world continues to be subjected to things such as ALS.

Thank you good sir for your contribution to the sport I love.

• Like (+1) 4

12 hours ago, Taro T said:

He and Hjalmerson were pretty much the advanced scouts for the Euro Invasion that the WHA then promoted & really took off in the '80's sfter the merger.

RIP Borje.  Hockey was better for your presence.

Do you mean ... Inge Hammarström ??

And how advanced were they over all the other Europeans ??  Perhaps you mean they were the advance scouts ??

Taro, Taro, Taro ... you usually type your English very goodly ...

Just Kidding Jk GIF by 2020 MTV EMA

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Do you mean ... Inge Hammarström ??

And how advanced were they over all the other Europeans ??  Perhaps you mean they were the advance scouts ??

Taro, Taro, Taro ... you usually type your English very goodly ...

Just Kidding Jk GIF by 2020 MTV EMA

Yup.  Certainly did.  Thanks for correcting that.  Too much tryptophan.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.