Krebs needs more time in AHL

sweetlou

He is averaging 10-12 minutes a game and has 3 points in 17 games.  He needs to go to AHL where he can be a leader, learn how to play a 2 way game, and hit the gym and put on 15 lbs.

If he has decent numbers the rest of season, KA could possibly use him as the chip in getting a solid #4 defenseman.

• Agree 3

12 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

He is averaging 10-12 minutes a game and has 3 points in 17 games.  He needs to go to AHL where he can be a leader, learn how to play a 2 way game, and hit the gym and put on 15 lbs.

If he has decent numbers the rest of season, KA could possibly use him as the chip in getting a solid #4 defenseman.

Not sure you trade him... he needs lower body strength but I like his speed, vision and moxy... his body just cant execute at this level.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

Not sure you trade him... he needs lower body strength but I like his speed, vision and moxy... his body just cant execute at this level.

Granato has talked about Krebs on a number of occasions on WGR. He pointed out that the talent is clearly there, but you just have to be patient. He stated that the overriding issue for the coach and the organization is what is the best course to follow for his development. Right now, he believes that giving him some playing time and practicing with the team, even with some intervals watching from the team box, is the best course of action. 

Ten shots in 17 games. The kid is invisible and regularly gets muscled off the puck. But he has great vision ? I’ve got great vision but it doesn’t get me a seat at the table because I’m bad at every other skillset, much like him. He needs a full season in the AHL. Maybe a look see near seasons end. Confidence goes a long way.

21 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Granato has talked about Krebs on a number of occasions on WGR. He pointed out that the talent is clearly there, but you just have to be patient. He stated that the overriding issue for the coach and the organization is what is the best course to follow for his development. Right now, he believes that giving him some playing time and practicing with the team, even with some intervals watching from the team box, is the best course of action. 

There’s patience and there’s a turnover king who is hurting his team. If he wants to play boom or bust style hockey he needs to refine it elsewhere. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, sweetlou said:

I mostly agree but the only way I'm making the trade is if the #4D isn't on a high price or dead end contract. 

There are prospects/young players you should not be patient for to see if they develop… And then there are prospects/young players that you are patient with to see if they develop. There are a small group of fans who consistently have the first mindset. And those same fans more times than not, eat crow a few years later and usually never admit they were impatient and wrong. IMO, Krebs is the latest in their gunsights. I honestly believe the kid will figure it out. Just like I thought Reinhart would figure it out, Dahlin would figure it out, TNT would figure it out, Cozens would figure it out, Olofsson would figure it out etc ….

But, I also think Mitts will figure it out. Jury is still out IMO.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

There are prospects/young players you should not be patient for to see if they develop… And then there are prospects/young players that you are patient with to see if they develop. There are a small group of fans who consistently have the first mindset. And those same fans more times than not, eat crow a few years later and usually never admit they were impatient and wrong. IMO, Krebs is the latest in their gunsights. I honestly believe the kid will figure it out. Just like I thought Reinhart would figure it out, Dahlin would figure it out, TNT would figure it out, Cozens would figure it out, Olofsson would figure it out etc ….

But, I also think Mitts will figure it out. Jury is still out IMO.

You let me know when olofsson figures it out. 

34 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

You let me know when olofsson figures it out. 

As a seventh rounder …. And making it to the NHL… And staying in the NHL… For me… And it’s obviously just for me personally… I think he has figured it out.

he obviously hasn’t figured it out enough for some fans… And that’s OK. 

Granted, every mistake or error he makes doesn’t immaturely need to be pointed out with a “oh yea, he’s really figured it out huh?” Or some rendition of that 😂

Mistake free hockey doesn’t exist. For all players.
We all know this. 

Edited by Zamboni
  • Like (+1) 5

I don't think that he has anything to gain playing in Rochester.  He is a still developing NHL player, but surely an NHL player.  Until someone better comes along Krebs should be playing in the NHL and gowing in the NHL.

Edited by Sabres Fan in NS
more goodly ...
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, triumph_communes said:

There’s patience and there’s a turnover king who is hurting his team. If he wants to play boom or bust style hockey he needs to refine it elsewhere. 

He’s a -4, so let’s not act like he’s Chris Stewart during the tank year. 

I know Krebs hasn’t played a ton in the AHL (20 pts in 20 games), but I guess I’m in the minority here.  I don’t think playing in the AHL is going to make him a better player long term. 

I see hustle in his game. I see a weak shot. I see vision and playmaking upside, and I see him struggling. But the AHL game isn’t fast enough for AHL reps to be meaningful.  At least to me.  I think he needs to acclimate his game to the NHL tempo rather than using a slower AHL game to translate to being a better long term player.  
If it was a matter of confidence, then yes the AHL would be beneficial. But I don’t think that’s his problem.  I think his problem is he’s a young player and needs the best competition to grow and figure it out. 

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

As a seventh rounder …. And making it to the NHL… And staying in the NHL… For me… And it’s obviously just for me personally… I think he has figured it out.

Granted, every mistake or error he makes doesn’t immaturely need to be pointed out with a “oh yea, he’s really figured it out huh?” Or some rendition of that 😂

We all know this. 

Name something other than his one timer he brings. 

Being a 7th round pick is totally irrelevant to anything. 

It isn't about mistake free hockey, it's about him not contributing in other aspects of hockey accept that one timer, by next year if not before we can move on. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

It isn't about mistake free hockey, it's about him not contributing in other aspects of hockey accept that one timer, by next year if not before we can move on. 

I explained my position. If others want to go back n forth for 3 pages about VO, they can oblige you. I’m good with what I said and how I said it. It was in context to Krebs and others that some fans want to give up on early in a young players NHL career. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

This Olofsson discussion is an offshoot, but I agree with you.  If Sabres are out of it, could see him moved to a playoff team at the deadline or part of a trade for a defenseman in the offseason.

Honestly Krebs’ future here is in question. With Savoie making this team next season, JJP and Quinn already superior players, and Rosen and Kulich not far behind, where does Krebs fit?

I’d trade him at the deadline or this summer for a D especially if Johnson doesn’t sign.

Things really get interesting when we draft Bedard this summer. 😉

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I like Krebs and am surprised he hasn't figured it out yet. That said, there's 4 first round picks right behind him to replace him if he doesn't pan out. Kulich, Savoie, Rosen, Östlund

Yeah I think he Mitts and Olofsson are placeholders unless they show something more.  Quinn is taking Olofsson’s spot, Savoie may be a serious upgrade from Krebs and Rousek may be Mitts replacement.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Zamboni said:

We all know this. 

I have no problem with VO.  He has proven when he is healthy he is a dangerous NHL player.  While when not scoring he may seem 'invisible' to some, this year he hasn't made many major mistakes to cost the team goals.  Over the past couple seasons he has about 1/3 of his goals on the PP, making him a dangerous PP weapon but still pretty good even strength (more than he gets credit for). He has 10 goals in 20 games, a 40 point pace, including PP goals, Even strength goals, and a couple empty net (one to seal the game). I'm getting that for under $5mil per year, I'm good with that.

As far as Krebs, he is playing awful.  However they are choosing to develop him, well they obviously know a lot more than I do. What I do know is when he is on the ice, he rarely is helping this team and often is hurting it.

• Like (+1) 1

Krebs needs to be playing in the upper third of the line up.  Albeit at the downgrade to Mittelstadt to me who plays more of a third line checking forward game with the ability to chip in.  We definitely do not have a shut down center.  I wanted Sturm this offseason so badly, because he would have been worth the 2M dollar check he cashed in SJ.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.