Bryson is killing this team defensively

matter2003

Bryson needs to play as little as possible, IMHO.

He is far and away the Sabres worst +/- player at -13. 

Middlestadt is -7 and the next worst player is -4 in Fitzgerald. Pilut is -2, Lyubushkin -1 and all the other D are + players led by Dahlin and Samuelsson at +8. Power is +3, Joker is +2.

See he played 3rd pair minutes yesterday but IMHO he should replaced by Larry.

Taking him out and getting Samuelsson back is like a +21 swing in +/-.

Want to know why they have been giving up so many goals? There ya go.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Middlestadt is -7 and the next worst player is -4 in Fitzgerald. Pilut is -2, Lyubushkin -1 and all the other D are + players led by Dahlin and Samuelsson at +8. Power is +3, Joker is +2.

I don't see it. I mean Yes, he isn't stellar defensively and overall he's not a top 4 D-man, but he isn't making mistake after mistake causing this team goals against.  With the skill of a bottom pair guy at best, he isn't 'good enough' to PREVENT goals with a stellar first pass (like Dahlin) or winning a lot of battles on the boards (Samuelsson/Lyubushkin when healthy). But not a tunover machine.   To me his is fine as a D-man who does get (like you said) less than 15 minutes of ice time per game. But when paired with a decent partner, I'm OK with him in that role.  Just do not expect him to cover up for his D partner, or young forwards mistakes.

I'm not advocating for him to have a bigger role of course, he is still a bottom pair guy, but I just think him and Jokijaru are a bit better than many on this board give them credit.

Edited by mjd1001

51 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I don't see it. I mean Yes, he isn't stellar defensively and overall he's not a top 4 D-man, but he isn't making mistake after mistake causing this team goals against.  With the skill of a bottom pair guy at best, he isn't 'good enough' to PREVENT goals with a stellar first pass (like Dahlin) or winning a lot of battles on the boards (Samuelsson/Lyubushkin when healthy). But not a tunover machine.   To me his is fine as a D-man who does get (like you said) less than 15 minutes of ice time per game. But when paired with a decent partner, I'm OK with him in that role.  Just do not expect him to cover up for his D partner, or young forwards mistakes.

I'm not advocating for him to have a bigger role of course, he is still a bottom pair guy, but I just think him and Jokijaru are a bit better than many on this board give them credit.

He stood out more yesterday than he had as he is a significant step down from the other 5 when all are healthy and he misplayed the big rebound Anderson gave up for the 2nd goal. 

Personally would prefer to see him replaced by Pilut as am interested in seeing how he would work with a healthy Lyubushkin as they had good moments but when Buusch had a bad giveaway due presumably to his injury he couldn't cover for it.  Should Granato ever drop Jokiharju to 3rd pairing, would keep Bryson in as expect he'd work better w/ Henri than Larry.

And, yes, an upgrade would be great, but just don't see Adams doing that prior to the trade deadline at the earliest unless somebody unexpected becomes available.

Depth on D is the primary weakness of this team.

They've been drafting heavy on offense in early rounds to rebuild their forward pipeilne, which was desperately needed.

Defense is another story, they need to hit on somebody like Novikov or Komarov.    I'm not counting Ryan Johnson because he's likely gone, and he's not what the team needs.   They need another Samuelsson or two and some quality depth in Roch.

Could be another 2 seasons until it's fixed, really would've liked to see them take a Pickering or Rinzel in the 1st this past draft with those extra picks.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, matter2003 said:

If you're talking +/- I think that's a little unfair to Bryson.  He's not a top-4 guy but he's been playing top-4 minutes.  He's okay in a bottom pairing role but I would like to see an upgrade even there.

5 hours ago, matter2003 said:

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

No he should see limited minutes or be replaced by Larry, Bryson should be replaced with a defensive veteran D from a winning organization.

@matter2003 You lost half the board when you started with +/-.  
@GASabresIUFAN You lost the rest with the “winning organization” schtick.  Bjork was groomed by the mighty Bruins, should they call him back up.  Tage was toiling in mediocrity with the vaunted Blues, does that mean they don’t know how to develop.  

59 minutes ago, Hawerchuk said:

If I don't ever see Pilut on the ice again that would be fine by me. Bryson is way better than him IMO.

I think they are both doo doo. 

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, inkman said:

You lost the rest with the “winning organization” schtick.  Bjork was groomed by the mighty Bruins, should they call him back up.  Tage was toiling in mediocrity with the vaunted Blues, does that mean they don’t know how to develop.

I completely disagree.  Bjork was a throw away piece of a trade to make the money work.  So yes you can get nothing player from winning organizations like Bjork, but you can also get leaders who have been through the wars that know how to win.  What a difference Chris Drury and Teppo Numminen made on a young team back in 2005.  I believe someone like Luke Schenn would have been a great mentor here.  It's up to the GM to find the right depth, but unfortunately our GM hasn't even tried.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Fans don’t know what the F*** KA has tried and has not tried. It’s an ignorant “ make me feel good” assumption that he’s tried absolutely nothing. And it’s an ignorant “ make me feel good” assumption that he’s tried absolutely everything. 

My personal opinion, is that he wants to stick to his guns and stick with the plan no matter what happens this season. Whether the fans like it or not. yeah he might tweak this or tweak that… But as far as any grand season changing trades… It’s just not gonna happen… And he’s completely and totally comfortable with that. And obviously so are the owners.
Shaking fists at the sky, name calling, crossing your arms, and stomping your feet as a fan… Does absolutely positively nothing to change what KA is going to do. Shake away! Shake away! Rage rage rage!

i’d like to see a winning team as much as the next fan. I also invest a ton in the team since 2004 as a STH. And I may disagree with some of the moves or lack there of. but I also know that raging raging and raging isn’t going to change anything as far as what this organization is deciding to do. And maybe I’m just a stupid fan… But I’ll continue to buy season tickets until I can’t afford them anymore. It’s the only team and sport I spend money and time on anyways.

oh yeah, about Bryson… I am lukewarm on him. sometimes he looks good and sometimes he looks like he fits… And other times he looks absolutely horrific. So if we can upgrade him… Go for it.

Edited by Zamboni
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I completely disagree.  Bjork was a throw away piece of a trade to make the money work.  So yes you can get nothing player from winning organizations like Bjork, but you can also get leaders who have been through the wars that know how to win.  What a difference Chris Drury and Teppo Numminen made on a young team back in 2005.  I believe someone like Luke Schenn would have been a great mentor here.  It's up to the GM to find the right depth, but unfortunately our GM hasn't even tried.

Wait one darn minute here.

Teppo friggin' Numinnen was a "leader who (had) been through the wars that know(s) how to win?"  Really?  The guy who had 16 years of NHL action and never saw the 2nd round before coming to Buffalo had been through the wars and knew how to win?  No ####ing way.  15 years with what had been the poster child for a dysfunctional organization and, along w/ Doan, was a leader from that dysfunctional organization.

He was a great player who knew how to be a pro and he was a leader, but he hadn't won #### on the NHL.  And his not having won didn't mean he wasn't a leader.  Contrary to what sure seems to be your assertion.

Edited by Taro T

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.