GDT: Saint Bluis at Buffalo, 11/23/22, 7pm, MSG, WGR.

Eleven

10 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I go back to kid Ovechkin in his Sabres jacket. What coulda been. And 99 was a Sabres fan. As an aside I always thought McDavid wanted to be here for the same reason but never saw confirmation except for rumblings on draft day re: his seeming disappointment.

LOL I had to go back and watch it again. McDavid’s reaction near the six minute mark of the video.  

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

I'm not knocking any player who was rated higher in this particular ranking exercise. What I'm confident in saying is that he was the right selection for this team in that draft year from a team value standpoint. What's impressive about Power is not only the obvious talent and potential, but how confident he is asserting himself in the offensive zone. He plays smartly and with confidence. He's not afraid to expand his game in the offensive zone. I really wasn't expecting that this soon. Dahlin has a more dazzling stye of play in comparison to Power who has a more contained style of play. Just think how good he will be in another year or two. Already, he is an anchor player for us.   

Agree JohnC.   Defensive players like Power don't come along that often.   You build around guys like him for the long haul.  They get better, and better as they hit early 30's.  

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

... think you're forgetting Dahlin's first seasons. 

40pts in 56 games in year 2 and 44 in 82 year 1. Power is pacing for 37pts. 

Now yes, points aren't everything and Power has a more refined defensive game, but Dahlin before Krueger was fantastic. 

I was more commenting on the defensive game. Power is just (already) very solid in his own end, which is incredible for how young he is. The O is there also, and will only get better

8 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

He plays with jam in front of the net and is very effective clearing the puck after first shot... also really good outlet passer though he made a glaring miss last night... he is an intimidator... 

There's absolutely no question he's a factor. I was happy when they drafted him and was pretty confidant he'd be a solid performer down the line. He's even better than I expected but it doesn't explain to me why we suddenly played with jump and fire that was missing a number of games back. Something else changed. 

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

... think you're forgetting Dahlin's first seasons. 

40pts in 56 games in year 2 and 44 in 82 year 1. Power is pacing for 37pts. 

Now yes, points aren't everything and Power has a more refined defensive game, but Dahlin before Krueger was fantastic. 

And he did it at 18. 

He’s still a freak 

Linked on the main page is a Harrington article containing a quote from Granato about how yesterday’s game, with the debut of the sweaters, had the guys feeling the same vibes as the RJ game last year and other big games like it.

Unsurprising to me we saw a great effort yesterday - the team has shown a distinct tendency to bring their “A“ game to the “biggest” games. 

Continue to be somewhat surprised therefore that the results of the recent Eichel game were so disappointing - it stands out from the others. But, to give the devil his due, in truth Vegas is looking really good so that’s prob a big part of it. Can’t win them all and we were in a down stretch overall at the time

Still, I think this team’s particular proclivity for the “big” games is something that bears keeping an eye on 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Linked on the main page is a Harrington article containing a quote from Granato about how yesterday’s game, with the debut of the sweaters, had the guys feeling the same vibes as the RJ game last year and other big games like it.

Unsurprising to me we saw a great effort yesterday - the team has shown a distinct tendency to bring their “A“ game to the “biggest” games. 

Continue to be somewhat surprised therefore that the results of the recent Eichel game were so disappointing - it stands out from the others. But, to give the devil his due, in truth Vegas is looking really good so that’s prob a big part of it. Can’t win them all and we were in a down stretch overall at the time

Still, I think this team’s particular proclivity for the “big” games is something that bears keeping an eye on 

What made this game so special was the crowd. It was ready to be revved up from the first drop of the puck. The quick first goal score by the home team got them pumped up even more. Watching this game on TV this was one of the best crowds I have seen in a long time. The fans are ready to get behind this team. The team needs to continue the spirited play of the last two games and stoke the crowd ready to be stoked. 

8 hours ago, Curt said:

Yeah, the ice time is interesting.  Mitts has been getting plenty of time throughout the season.  I don’t know if they are trying to showcase him, or are trying to give him his last best chance to take a big step, but they must be able to see that he is floundering quite a bit.

I really like Quinn.  He has that ability to produce a moment of brilliance with the puck on his stick, and I don’t think he is going to be a liability in other areas of the game.  You need a few guys like that.

Haven't been able to watch as closely the matchups on TV so the perception may be off, but when watching in person have noticed that Mittelstadt's line has been getting the tougher matchups than the Cozens line at least since they came back from the western road trip.   That could be part of the difference in perceptions.  (And, not positive that's Granato's preference, though it seems to be, as he tends to roll his C's regardless of what adjustments the opponent has made.)  Also, have noticed that the Mitts line tries to pass the puck towards the high danger areas & the Cozens line tends to carry it there.  Which, considering how when Mitts came into the league he ALWAYS carried the puck to the slot (oftentimes losing it in the process) that is a mildly surprising development.  It seems Taylor truly did break him of that habit.

Agree that getting Olofsson away from Mitts might help both, but am not putting Victor on either the Thompson nor Cozens line & his game doesn't fit the 4th line.  So, pretty sure they're stuck w/ each other.

8 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Maybe he just has an unorthodox style, or maybe he is not fundamentally sound, but watching UPL, something does not look right.

That being said, if he can make big saves, chalk up some wins, and minimize bad goals, I guess that is all that matters for now. 

Maybe it's been too long since you've seen an exceptional goalie in Sabres colors.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Taro T said:

Mittelstadt's line was as bad as their haters said in the 1st.  But, they actually played pretty well in the 2nd & generated chances in the 3rd.

Agree with most of your post except except ….

This threesome had 5 shifts in the second period.  Twice they played with 23/26.  In their first shift Mitts won a FO early and the Cozens line scored immediately after in transition.  The fifth shift of the period was their best with a Def zone face-off win  and a HD chance with Mitts feeding Vinnie.  Two other shifts had zero pressure or zone entry with ‘one and done’.  Another had no shots or attempts.  Zero sustained pressure. 
  In the third, their first shift was following the PK.  A classic “dump and lose” strategy followed by a rush with a bad pass in the slot picked off. The second shift was an offensive zone face-off which they lost followed by the blues scoring but call back on an offsides challenge.  Their third shift was a highlight where Mitts had a good stick check on Leddy which led to a high danger chance and a pass to Vinnie in front.  The fourth shift was a FO win followed by a loss of possession with a Kyrou HD chance against.  The fifth shift started with a FO loss. And Barbashiv hit the crossbar and the Blues missed another opportunity on the rebounds.  That possession was followed by a Quinn goal.  Their 6th of the period Vinnie stalled at the blue line.  Their seventh shift highlight was a weak  Mitts backhand stolen. Zero pressure. 

This line has played together for 23 minutes and has a 42% corsi, with 2 GA and  zero for.  Enough already.  Poorly conceived and needs to be changed ASAP. They lose every puck battle and have no physicality in either zone.  Mitts needs to be moved to 4C, Vinnie to the presbox (when 74 and 21 are healthy) and Krebs to Rochester.  Maybe the new 3rd line is 28-17-71. Or KO replacing Z when he’s back. Something.  Anything.  

• Thanks (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Does UPL start Friday too?

Doubt it, but who knows?

Anderson will get Detroit & UPL gets the Avs.  Which would likely give Anderson the Mickey Mouse Club & UPL the Bolts.

Were it still Comrie, would expect him to get the next 2.  Doubt they're ready to give UPL the majority of starts yet.  But, development something, something, something.

13 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

Agree with most of your post except except ….

This threesome had 5 shifts in the second period.  Twice they played with 23/26.  In their first shift Mitts won a FO early and the Cozens line scored immediately after in transition.  The fifth shift of the period was their best with a Def zone face-off win  and a HD chance with Mitts feeding Vinnie.  Two other shifts had zero pressure or zone entry with ‘one and done’.  Another had no shots or attempts.  Zero sustained pressure. 
  In the third, their first shift was following the PK.  A classic “dump and lose” strategy followed by a rush with a bad pass in the slot picked off. The second shift was an offensive zone face-off which they lost followed by the blues scoring but call back on an offsides challenge.  Their third shift was a highlight where Mitts had a good stick check on Leddy which led to a high danger chance and a pass to Vinnie in front.  The fourth shift was a FO win followed by a loss of possession with a Kyrou HD chance against.  The fifth shift started with a FO loss. And Barbashiv hit the crossbar and the Blues missed another opportunity on the rebounds.  That possession was followed by a Quinn goal.  Their 6th of the period Vinnie stalled at the blue line.  Their seventh shift highlight was a weak  Mitts backhand stolen. Zero pressure. 

This line has played together for 23 minutes and has a 42% corsi, with 2 GA and  zero for.  Enough already.  Poorly conceived and needs to be changed ASAP. They lose every puck battle and have no physicality in either zone.  Mitts needs to be moved to 4C, Vinnie to the presbox (when 74 and 21 are healthy) and Krebs to Rochester.  Maybe the new 3rd line is 28-17-71. Or KO replacing Z when he’s back. Something.  Anything.  

Good stuff here.

• Thanks (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

Vinnie to the presbox (when 74 and 21 are healthy) and Krebs to Rochester.  Maybe the new 3rd line is 28-17-71. Or KO replacing Z when he’s back. Something.  Anything.  

With Asplund injured and Hino in the box, do any of these combinations move you? (Only one option with Mitts+VO)

Girgensons - Mittelstadt - Okposo
Olofsson - Krebs - Jost

Olofsson - Girgensons - Okposo
Krebs - Mittelstadt - Jost

Girgensons - Jost- Okposo
Krebs - Mittelstadt - Olofsson

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

With Asplund injured and Hino in the box, do any of these combinations move you? (Only one option with Mitts+VO)

Girgensons - Mittelstadt - Okposo
Olofsson - Krebs - Jost

Olofsson - Girgensons - Okposo
Krebs - Mittelstadt - Jost

Girgensons - Jost- Okposo
Krebs - Mittelstadt - Olofsson

Girgensons - Jost- Okposo - your option # 3 looks like what Donnie is using tonight

With KO drawing in tonight, and Krebs to the box is this line #3 with more minutes?   

And does the Mitts line becomes the defacto #4?  And if Asplund is back soon (day to day), can I live with 74- 37-71? sure. 

• 2 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.